Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today? November 2008

With prices going up all over the place, it's more important than ever to find ways to save money. Join our discussion on how we find big and small ways to save money in our everyday lives.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Good evening all!!

I agree, it is extremely important for us to conserve all of our resources (including our money) in these trying times.

I bought "Mighty Putty" today to fix my sprayer at the kitchen sink, rather than buying a new one. That is my biggest "frugal" for today. So far it is holding.

I got the other 3 strips sewn for the afghan I am making. Because part of it is black, it is difficult to see to do it properly in the evening.

I think I got a handle on how much to be putting away for the lawn mowing for next year. I am cutting back on putting the full amount he asked for each week, to a little less than 1/2 of that. I am putting the remainder in my savings account each week. I am not giving myself an additional to use each week, just re-appropriating it. Then next year instead of the full amount coming out of my check each week, I will just add a certain amount to my money here. The deed gets done, and more in savings for me overall.

Well ladies, better go for this evening.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma,I think that was wise to be able to try and fix the sprayer.Good thinking on putting the money off to the side for the law cutting too,
Frugal for me?Well today the only money was spent on was gas and money for church,I did have to stop at walgreens for my middle dd who needs the lotion.I am having a good time with my mom.We went shopping and she was trying to get some ideas for what they wanted for Christmas even went to Steve and Barrys to see their going out of business sale and she got a Birhtday gift and Chrismas gift for my stepdad.I need to go .
Mish
Old 11-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just subbing right now. I'm having issues with Mozilla Firefox, it's jumping on me. Internet explorer wouldn't load the November thread. I'm going to run a quick virus scan.

Be back shortly!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well we don't have a deer yet but thats okay. I need to get some things used up out of the freezer before we put one in there anyway. Dh and ds came home for lunch. I cooked breakfast food and then they got back home after 8 tonight. I fixed steamed vegetables, leftover garden corn, lasagna and garlic bread. We were all hungry and it hit the spot. We had halloween treats for dessert.

Norma, thats good thinking to already be planning ahead for next spring. You seem to have a good mind for managing your money.

Connie, I bet those cakes will be wonderful. I love cake.

Not for sure what the plans are for tomorrow. I need to do some cooking for fil. He is having a hard time and I think the reality of everything has hit him today.

Mish, how long will your mom be there?

Well girls have a good night. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Jean
Old 11-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Okay, think I have it fixed. Boy that was weird.

Mish, I hope you and your mom have a good visit.

Anna, good thinking on the mowing money appropriation, you are so good at thinking ahead.

Jean, I hope your hunters are able to provide again this year, but they seem to always make sure there's meet in the freezer.

We all, dbf, dd2, dd3 and me, went to dbf's daughter's basketball game she was cheering at. It's an hour and a half drive for us but we went and had a good time watching her cheer and the 4th grade boys play basketball. DBF treated everyone to lunch then we came home and he and I got to work on the shed, well after a nap, he fell asleep on the love seat, I fell asleep on our bed, lol. The girls watched the Goosebump marathon. My snooze was no more than 20 minutes, just enough. We have the floor, partial walls and braces up on the shed, we should have it finished tomorrow evening.

I'm doing laundry, made pigs in a blanket for supper and that's pretty much it.

I'm going to get off of here, probably for the night but everyone remember, clocks go back an hour tonight!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member

I received my utility bill today... with the cooler temps no AC 9-12/10-13 and not having to water the garden much my bill is down $30. Which is good since I'm sure it will be back up this next 4 weeks with having the heat on a bit. Though it wont be this week since temps are in the high 60's.

DH talked me into ordering pizza for dinner did use a coupon (wouldn't have gotten 10 bread sticks w/cheese sauce & 2 liter normally). Did notice the Nov prices were $1 more then the October coupons.

Kind of feeling a little blaa today so took a nap and read a book. Think it was a mental health day, grins.

I need to mow the grass one more time before putting it away for the winter. Might try to get that done tomorrow.

Roberta
Old 11-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i worked today till 2. then i came home and did yard work. i took trash down and put it by the road. then talked to my mom for a while...and worked on my avon. i have a home show in 2 weeks and im tryng to get product for it
tonight ive been tired and watching tv to get rid of some of the shows on the dvr so i can keep recording. i have wayyy to many shows that need to be watched. i need to get thru them all. I have mon, tues, wend, and thurs off this next week. so maybe i can get things gone thru..i have a hard time stay on track to clean.

well talk at you tommrow
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Roberta my electric bill was the same way last week. It went down about $40. But now we turned on the heat also. But if it is nice enought during the day. I turn the heat off. I have the woodburning stove going for tonight. They helps with the electric bill.

I hung my sheets and blankets on the line today. I love they way they smell when they first come in.

Dh has a few old cars he wants to scrape at the junk yard. He had a few friends come over and take some parts off the one car. His friend has a car that can use the parts. He took all 4 tires(put his 4 on the old car). He took the muffler and car jack. I think he even took the spare tire. It saves him money. I think before we scrap it he might take the few other things. The engine is no good. My dh blow up the engine. I can't wait to they cars are out of the drive way!!!

Not much else frugal going on today.

Charlotte
Old 11-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member

Lisa---We had computer problems here last week. Ended up replacing the modem and router. So glad it is fixed. I never really knew how much I depend on this machine.
Roberta---Our electric bill went down also. It went down majorily in April when DD and family moved out. Went up again in the summer. Back down again. My DH is on the frugal road now. He will even hang the laundry out for me!
The dryer is used very little but I know this will change. I still have to buy a few drying racks. I like to hang my work pants on hangers though. I will have to buy a "garment rack" (?) for this. I still think that if I buy these things we will still be ahead on savings with electric, etc.
This week will be another crazed week at work. I have finally said to myself "You have a job and it is secure, don't complain and the overtime is nice money"! I have to keep thinking that. As exausted as I have been the paychecks are NICE!
Well.....that's it for now.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills

Closed Thread