Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Nine Year Member

Talked to my sister in SC today they laid off about 20 people and talking of 100 more plus a plant closing somewhere. My bil works freelance and hasn't had much out there to work with so I'm sure they are worried. They haven't even been in their new home a year which they had built.

My siblings have decided to do a white elephant Christmas as another sister is on lay off 3 weeks now, with 4 more weeks of therapy before she can go back to work... so maybe she is on workmans comp.

Roberta
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just subbing...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, that is cool that you are going to be a GS leader! Have fun. Now, will any of your daughters be in your troop?

Chris, so sorry to hear about the lay offs that is so scary. I know I you feel. When I started at the company I am with 11 years ago, there were over 100 cottage workers with the company. After merging with another company there were closer to 200. We are now down to 5 cottage workers. And there isn't very much work.

I hear so much about Kroger on here, I really wish I had one near here to check out. I guess I will check out Aldi's though, and see if it is worth the extra 5+ mile drive or not. Maybe a once every so many month trip would work.

Nothing out of the ordinary frugal here. Although today if the weather holds out as predicted we will walk down to the corn field, and pick up the left over corn laying on the ground to feed to the ducks and squirrels this winter. Means no buying feed for them. Maybe I could put some of the corn in my food processor to feed the birds. I guess if that works that would save me $ there too. I should pick up some sunflowers seeds than too though to add to it.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Nine Year Member

I ended up having to replace my cell phone last night it finally broke in two, the bonding agent I put on the cracking screws held for a couple of month. I did go with a free phone but had to go back on a 2 yr agreement... not that I planned on switching since I get a 15% discount through Avon with them. The kids are all excited since there is a camera on this one kept saying it is not a toy.

Stopped at CVS and went through the line twice so I could use CVS bucks right a way. Picked up 2 Dawn 10.3oz, 2 Crest ProHealth 4.2oz, 6 Kleenix 200ct, Pert 2in1 shampoo 13.5 oz and paid $7.24 used $7.49 in CVS bucks, $4 in coupons and saved $12.66 in sales. Have another $3.49 in bucks from my next trip. Was the first time in a long time that they had everything I wanted in stock.

Ran dd1 to school so her project didn't have to go on the bus and used a free sandwich coupon at McD's for my breakfast.

Roberta
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen, that is an excellent idea in walking down to the corn field to get feed for the animals. And yes, my youngest will be in my troop, that's how I got into it this year, the 4th grade girls had no leader, no one volunteered. I went reluctantly but now I'm excited.

On Kroger, the only time I get a value from them is when they run their specials and you can cherry pick, that's it, other than that they are really high in price.

Roberta, it stinks having to do the new phone thing but that's great that you didn't have to pay thru the nose. And as always, you go girl on your coupon savings! I'm always amazed!

I'm off of here to do a little stretching, that painting takes it's toll on me the next day, lol... My mom says "you're not getting younger Lisa Lynn". I say "old? me? nah!"

Have a great morning everyone.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Last edited by Lislyn66; 11-04-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen, good job on gleaning the corn fields for feed for the animals.

I found some birdseed at Petsmart a little cheaper than what I got it for at Shop Rite. Let's see if the birds eat it. Some varieties, the birds leave so much waste!

Sigh...things are not good with DH's car. He was 10 minutes from home and came back to take mine. He works 50 miles away--can't have it break down that far from home, especially since he can't find his cell phone! He said I can drive his car on my local errands today (like voting) and that he will be home in time for me to take the van to my doctor's appointment. Or he can drive me there, drop me off and get me when I am done. We were hoping to keep this car for Big DS but it's not looking good....last week we had to put in a new water pump. It has about 150,000 miles on it.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 AM

Barbzy

Sorry to hear about your dh's car... we're keeping our fingers crossed on ours, they need to some maintenance but this morning dh informs me he has he thinks a filling out in his front tooth which attaches to his partial plate, Oh Joy! If they can't patch it, we're talking over $1000 for a new partial plus of course pulling the tooth at a orthodontist and he's a cumidin patient so I'm not sure how that will all work out he goes to his medical doctor Thursday so we'll have to find out what we need to do. So no trip to the mall this weekend or buying replacement supplies, will just have to let the customers buy what I have in stock instead of buying new stuff at least for a couple weeks so that we can save the cash for this dentist trip. We have insurance but it doesn't cover alot on the dental.

Anna
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the words of encouragement, ladies! I REALLY needed to hear it, I guess. Today I'm feeling a bit more positive about the situation. I think from here on out, it's just plow ahead, stay as positive as possible, but also be on the lookout for future options in case that becomes necessary. I am usually the person who remains positive at work, and yesterday I was struggling with that. I think that may be one of the best things I can do for myself and my co-workers, so that's what I'm going to work on. Lee, you had asked about my working on my teaching degree. I did end up having to put that on hold for now. I have two semesters of practical experience left to do, and financially I just can't afford to give up my full-time job and benefits. After looking at the big picture, I'm OK with that. I'm still getting to work with kids--my employer uses me as their volunteer to teach for Junior Achievement, and I'm a Girl Scout co-leader for a friend's niece's troop. I think this is probably what I'm meant to do for now.

Oh, and Lisa, yay for you on becoming a Girl Scout leader!! I think you will really enjoy it!

Barb--
Sorry to hear about DH's car. I'm glad that it's lasted 150,000 miles though!

Anna-
Dental work is no fun and it's so darned expensive! Sounds like you have a good plan though with holding off on buying new supplies for now.

Roberta--
Good going at CVS!

Guess that's all from me for the moment. And thanks again for the support yesterday--it really means a lot!! Hugs to all of you!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Chris,I am glad you are doing ok.
Roberta,Sorry you had to replace your cell phone but your coupon savings continue to amaze me.
Lisa,I hope you like the being a leader for girl scouts.
Barb,I am so sorry to hear that you are having car problems.
Anna,I hope your dhs tooth feels better soon.It can be so expensive but it needs to be taken care of.
Frugal for me?Last night we went to the ymca and I didn't work out just waited for my middle dd and she took a shower there so that will help me out in the long run.She loves to take really long showers.Then we came home and I straigtened up and went to bed.
Today i am going to vote,go to my tutoring and also to class.Then I need to stop at the store for some deodarnt and want to pick up a few things as I have a birthday for my youngest.Its not until tommorrow but I don't have alot to give to her from mom and dad.I am hoping it will be a frugal day but I am planning on it to be.Have a great day.
Mish
Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had my vote in by 6:55 this morning now its all about trying to stay awake. I have been getting up early but also excercising didnt get that in this morning except for the very short walk to my polling place!

Chris, I understand its hard!! I hope things turn out ok at your job!

Barb, I hear ya on the car. Ours doesnt have that many miles yet but oy its been costing us!! I defintly think its good for us to keep our AAA current lol!

Roberta, Is CVS your happy place too? Sure is mine. An update I went yesterday morning and going over my receipts I realized duh I needed to buy 4 12 pks so I took teh ECB I had and went back last night got the Coke, Dawn (w/coupon) and silly tape to make it 4.00 to use my ECB. Ended up having to spend another 1.13 but still NOT a bad deal, and the tape will be needed for wrapping Xmas gifts.

Lisa, congrats on the GS Troop, I bet you have a great time with it!

Closed Thread