Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

And how much bread do you use if your recipe calls for 2 pkg corn bread? My recipe calls for 2 cans of biscuit, but I'd like to know how much bread can be used in its place.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie, meant to post a couple nights ago your dd did a great job on her letter. i hope it opens peoples eyes!

Barb great savings at the grocery store, I get looks sometimes too but oh well like you say pick another line! Really they are just jealous that we might get 2x more food for less money lol!

I will have to go back later for the for teh recipies but I wanted to be sure to post tonight.

I made 2 pizzas for dinner and I figured out the cost at really a higher estimate of 3.04 a pizza! I made my own crust and sauce, toppings were black olives, green peppers (froz from my veggie share this summer) cheese of course and pepperoni! NOT to mention I find it almost enpowering to know exactly what ingredients are going in my family

Have a good night everyone!!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie, it will all work itself out. ((hugs))
Mish, I'm so sorry for your sil. I will be praying for her.
Here is the recipe for the cinnamon nuts. They are sugar free and made in the crock pot.
16 oz. of your favorite nuts
2 egg whites
1 cup Splenda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp vanilla
Mix and coat nuts in the crock pot with the egg whites and vanilla.
Add the sugar and cinnamon. Cook on low for three hours, covered.
Remove the lid for 1/2-1 hour until hardened and dry. Cool on waxed paper and store in an air tight container.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lee,The pizzas sound yummy.
Jamie,The nut recipe sounds so easy and yummy.I am thinking I might have to try it.
Frugal for me?
Well dhs flight got in late.My middle dd has decided to skip her practice tonight and I am not going to push her so early in the session.Yes she should go but when I have the yougest with me it is way to late for her to be up.I have some laundry to fold up and going to try and work on some homework after the kids are in bed.It is really cold here.
Mish
Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member

This is the stuffing recipe that I use. Made 8 batches of it for the Seniors dinner last night in fact.

Stuffing
16 oz bread cubed (I use 1/2 white, 1/4 wheat, 1/4 rye for better flavor)
3/4 c butter, melted
1 med onion, chopped
4 stalk celery, chopped
2 t sage or poultry seasoning
1 c chicken broth
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Saute onion and celery in the butter until clear, add seasonings and broth. Pour over cubed bread and mix. Bake 350 in a greased pan covered for 45 min, uncover and bake 15 min more or until done.

Roberta
Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jamie & Mish, thanks for the warning on my shoulder but really, I haven't had any problems with it for months! My back seems to bear the brunt of my stupidity or hard work, lol.

Karen, yuuummmmm, fresh chicken or should I say rooster?

Mish, catfights, gotta love them, not! Sorry that happened.

Jamie, cinnamon nuts, I bet the girls would like those!

Lee, I bet the pizza was better than anything you could have had ordered in.

I went to lunch with my dear friend, we had a nice visit then she had to get to work, I came on home. It's too cold and windy here. The temp says 35 F but it's 26 F with the windchill! Toooo cold for me, thanks anyway.

DBF is bringing his son home/here tonight, the boy doesn't have school tomorrow and he called his dad and asked if he could get him a day early. I'm impressed, and pleased actually. I'll keep him busy tomorrow, that's for sure, lol. Oh and supper tonight was french toast sticks that I had in the freezer!

I'm off to go watch Ugly Betty and Grey's. Have a good evening all!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

Dd did sumit her letter to the local 'paper'. It is a newsletter that comes out once a month. Who knows? I told her to sumit it to other papers too.

I am still a wreck. I think I am scared of change. This will/would be change in every aspect of our lives. For the good but it is scarey..... even though this is what we want.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Connie, enjoy all the excitement about the interview and potentially new job because this is what you've been waiting for! I hope it all goes well.

Barbszy, I used to be one of those eye rollers (well really I didn't but you could probably hear the groan inside my head) but you know what, now I am one of those line holder uppers and it is worth a whole lot more! Complaints are free but coupons save money.

I don't have a lot of frugal here to report. Carpooling and gas prices have dropped to $2.07, not great but better than $4 a gallon.

I only just heard about those two phase toilets, sound like a good idea.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 AM

Good Morning Everyone

It's a chilly 25 F here this morning, BRRR!!

Like Pag36, we usually toast our bread for stuffing too... although when dh went to the bread truck this week, it was wiped clean so we'll be buying bulk bags of stuffing bread from GFS instead of toasting as bread will be full price here, GRRR!!! Our bread prices even for the cheapest bread you can find is over $1.00 and up to almost $3.00 a loaf. I am very thankful for the bread our friend brings to work free every week, we should have been stocking up weeks back just thought it would be plentiful.

Frugal today is staying home and working on my purses... I have to have my friend across the street do more shoulder straps for me this weekend.

Mish

I hope eventually you'll begin to enjoy math, I forget now seems like you've been in school forever, what are you studying for your degree?

Well better get busy... have a good day everyone and stay warm.

Anna
Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 AM

Good morning all!!

Lisa, your back, your shoulder, it doesn't matter which body part - try to remember that you are prone to pain if not careful, and then - BE CAREFUL.

Barb, and Connie, great buys at the store.
Barb, your husband is probably just so proud of your savings.

Connie,

I have to go tomorrow to fnish off the Thanksgiving shopping. I got the flier for next week and I don't believe there is anything any cheaper next week, than this. So I will go tomorrow, and not put it off.

On the sutffing, I make my own eclectic mix - sometimes I add mushrooms, always sausage, onions, celery, eggs (my mom used boiled egg whites), raisins, and apples. The amount of bread and other items is not measured, but to taste, and what looks right. Of course, sometimes it is not quite right, I use uncooked, scrambled eggs as a binder, mix it right in with the chicken broth. I dry my own bread sometimes, and sometimes I buy the bags. I am not a cornbread dressing lover, only because I don't care for the texture.

I was out to dinner last night with my friend. I am now going to her home for Thanksgiving dinner. She has a house at last that is big enough for company, and has banned her husband from putting his belongings (books mostly) in the living areas (only in the den). Her best friend's 2 sons are over in Pennsylvania and she will have the one still in college for dinner, and maybe one of his friends. So she will have no "female" if I don't come.

But, I will cook, even if it is on Friday.

Well ladies, better go for now. I still have to get to work today.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread