Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 AM

Good Morning Everyone

I've been puttering around this morning, took the trash to the curb in the snow BRRRR!!! not a heavy snow but it's snow and it's on the ground. According to our meteorologist this is unusually early for us. I see the sun is peaking out now so hopefully it'll melt. I need to go to one of my friends today to get some Aloe Butter for my lip balms, the whole recipe only calls for 1 TBS. so frugal is buying a couple TBS. from her instead of ordering a lb. of it online and paying all that expensive shipping. She also has some candle books she wants to give/sell me.. they aren't the kind of candles I make but my little friend Maddy might enjoy looking at them if they are cheap enough for me to buy. I also decided to sell my friend the bomb pop molds I doubt I'll ever have the time to play with that, it's a 3 pour soap three different colors and sometimes when you do those the layers don't want to stick, time consuming.

Frugal today will be sticking close to home, my friend only lives a few blocks from me more than walking distance but about 5 minutes by car. Dinner at home of course and I am now off to get started on the dreaded purses.

Anna
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 AM
Nine Year Member

Made some waffles using milk that was going sour. Guess it is the same as buttermilk you buy in the store. The waffles came out light and fluffy. With the price of a gallon of milk hate to throw it away. Does anyone else use milk this way in baking?
_______
Sueanne

Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Frugal here, I only used the car to drive my son to school early for his field trip. Hubby rode to work with a neighbor who lives on our block. So we saved some gas today. Hubby will get a ride home this afternoon after work too. Also eating all lunch from home. Hubby took sandwiches for lunch and a thermos of coffee. So he didn't have to buy lunch. Only money spent is by our son today. As he took money for his breakfast today and for buying souveinors. He is a on a field trip today. He is going to 4 places today including an Elephant sanctuary and a tv station as well as a science center and a planetarium too. He was so excited about his trip.

Just doing frugal things here today. Hope everyone has a great day. God bless.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma,I hope the windows get put in.
Jamie,Good to see you back on here again.
Ellen ,Thanks for the information on the water,
Connie,Very cool article.
Frugal for me?Well last night my middle dd had a headache so I had her skip swim prctice and she went to bed early.Today I need to stop at wm for some cold medicne and going to go to goodwill.I aslo have my class today too.I am going to try and talk with an advisor and figure what class I should take next and try to register for it today too.Be back on later on.
Mish
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, we are having a very cold day here. The high by late evening is only supposed to be in the low 30's. We got some snow and since its so bitter cold it stuck and the roads are bad. My yds school got canceled today. He was happy about that.

Frugal will be staying home and cooking from home. Its too bad to go anywhere unless you just have to. I made homemade pancakes for breakfast.

Norma, hope they get that window in today.

Barb and Kathy, I hope your kids are feeling better today. Mish, hope your dd is alright.

Denahowy, sounds like your ds is going to have a nice day. I hope he enjoys himself.

Anna, hope you get a lot done on your purses today. You do such a wonderful job with your business.

Sueanne, I have used buttermilk to make bread and pancakes after the freshness date on them and they have been fine. I think baking you can get by with using it after the date for a few days.

Well everyone take care. Have a good day.
Jean
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, I have decided that my family just needs to stop eating! I went to WM this morning to pick up just what we need this week. I was very careful with my meal plan, using what we have on hand, and made a list. I stuck to that list and got NOTHING that wasn't on it. I walked out of there with 3 bags of groceries - $88.00!

Thanks for the well wishes for my DD's. DD1 doesn't usually get very sick. She went to bed at 8:30 last night and said she felt much better this morning. DD2 woke up with a fever this morning so I kept her home from school. She is starting to feel better now and it seems like her fever has broken. She will still stay home from cheer practice tonight.

Ellen, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! I am very careful about water usage and rinse my dishes with 2 hands also - all at once.

Anna, good luck with your purses. I have some mending to do today and I'm not in the mood to do it either.

Denahowy, it sounds like your son has a fun field trip today. I hope he has a great time!

Mish, I hope your dd feels better.

Jean, I'm so glad we haven't gotten the cold, snowy weather yet. We usually get our first snow about Thanksgiving so we're about due. Sending you warm thoughts!

I need to go make lunch for me and DD2. I had some sub rolls in the freezer so I'm making turkey and cheese subs with sliced apples on the side.

Have a wonderful day, friends!

Kathy
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen,
I shared your tips with dh and the boys this morning! Yes, I am always on them for running water while brushing their teeth!!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello everyone! All sound busy.
Frugal today: cereal for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and supper will be stuffed acorn squash.
We have an old tomcat who hangs around (he belongs to neighbor) His name is Lucky. They don't let him in at night and it's getting really cold. So I made him a "cat" house. We had an old styrofoam cooler. Sides are 3" thick. I cut a hole for him to go in/out. Put an old towel in it. Added top - then placed a 18" sq. paver on top so lid doesn't blow off. Placed in the corner of front porch. He's already using it!!! Lucky is lucky!! It should be quite warm.

Walked 2 blks down to cemetary and decorated grandparents & aunt/uncles' and a friends grave. One cemetary down - many more to do. Need to do as the weather is really cold, and want to get down before ground freezes solid.

Made 2 types of jar recipes for baskets. Made "White Christmas Soup" and "Love Soup". So far 3 jars of each. Need to make a few more. May do that this evening. I am making labels from old grocery bags. Cut in 8 1/2" x 11" pcs and run thru printer after typing up directions. Looks cute and old fashioned.

I also fed the birds and squirrels. Mr. suirrel was trying to get water from birdbath and it was frozen solid. He nawed and nawed at it. It was really cute - he wanted water!!! Took out some hot water and melted it.

By the way the Vicks on the soles of feet really worked last night. After awhile DH asked what was wrong - I wasn't coughing! Thanks for the tip.
Think tomorrow will be leaf day finally. Supposed to be in 40's - 1 day only!
Well I better get busy - talk to you all later.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathy, games are great for that age,either sex.
Jean, you are a special person no matter what your weight, I’ll pray for your diet just for you to be healither.
Connie, great article
Barb & Kathy, Hope the kids feel better soon
Barb, my dh has a large appetite which was not to bad when he burned it off working but now it adds up quick. I hate to nag but still worry
Not much here, frugal has been making bonein chicken breast by making soup then using the white meat for a cassarole, getting 2 meals from them.
Ran out of cream soup for my chicken & rice cassarole and used jarred Alfredo
Sauce instead. They loved it
Cold here light dusting of snow but no accumlation

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Afternoon Frugal Friends, I haven't been online the last 2 days due to dh having a 3 day weekend and I had 10 pages to read on the frugal thread, that was fun. I got all my housework done this morning before I turned on the computer because I knew I would be reading for awhile!

Cheryl, can you share the "love soup" recipe with us?

I too try to be careful with water usage since my dh works for the water co. and I hear water stories all the time. I don't have a dishwasher so I also do my dishes by hand, rinsing quickly. I almost exclusively use Dawn dish liquid but I had a good coupon for the new Palmolive pure + clear, the spring fresh scent is so nice. Also on the water front frugal and not frugal this week. Our toilet had been acting up, septic tank just pumped a couple years ago so dh wanted to switch our old toilet with a used one he had put in a back room. He was supposed to make a small half bathroom at one time that was never finished. So he took out the old one cracking it while taking it out the back door, brought in the other one, had it completely installed and turned the water back on only to discover it also had a crack. Off to the hardware store for a new one, they were actually on sale in the ad that week and it's also a low flush one so that will help in the long run. He also strained his back lifting so many toilets in one day so our backyard looks like the toilet cemetery. I wouldn't let him lift them again to make a run to the dump until his back is better, he was in a lot of pain Sunday night and Monday morning. Seemed better when he had to go to work this morning.

Also frugal this month is my electric usage. I was hanging a pair of white tennis shoes on the line this morning (it was 84 deg. here yesterday and supposed to be 81 today, someone send me some snow!) and I looked at the electric meter, it's due to be read in 2 days and if my calculations are right my bill will only be about $48, yeehaw!

My Christmas shopping is all done, nothing wrapped yet though. We definitely scaled back this year.

I will definitely be using that Vick's tip this winter, I always seem to get a cough that won't go away for ages in the winter. Plus my feet are always cold so that tip should help both problems.

Sorry to hear a few are sick, hope everyone and especially the children are feeling better quickly. I'm grateful for all you frugal, fun loving friends on this thread. I always look forward to coming here and reading about everything going on.
Jacki

Closed Thread