Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It's been so nutty around here lately I haven't had a chance to post.

Missibob, the homemade cupcakes sound like a great birthday treat. Sometimes my Big Kids want an apple pie for their birthdays instead of a cake. I hope you enjoyed the celebration with the grandkids

Lisa everyone has given you such great advice. I agree; it sounds like he is just getting comfy. But I'm sure that he also lets you know that he appreciates you and notices how hard you work and how welcome you have made him and his kids.

Norma, I hope you are feeling better!

to all of you on the great thrift store/market bargains you have scored. Finding a bargain on something you need is a great money saver and doesn't it give you a little lift too?

Kathymac, a 5th grade girl would probably like things like a diary, game like Twister Dance, any kind of hair/nail/lip stuff. 5th grade boys enjoy any kind of Nerf thing, especially the "dart guns" or the guns that shoot spongy ping-pong balls. Heck, my Big DS's friends still play with those and they are 16-18

LoriMae, my neighbor's little girl has had a cough for a while. I'm going to share your "vicks home remedy" with her. Thanks for posting it.

Connie, the photo albums sound like really cool gifts Hope Jasmine's doctor can help her find relief from the symptoms she is experiencing.

Norma my weather geeks love it when snow is forecast! Big DS and his friends are all mad that there is snow in the forecast for later this week because they will miss it

Jeandeanette, I will keep my eyes open for those cereals with refund offers. We go through a LOT of cereal around here. Big DS can eat half a box at one meal and the kid is thin as a rail. Hmm, maybe I should take up distance running....

Luke is home today with the bad stomach virus. It wasn't pretty around here at 4:30 this morning! The poor kid even fainted in the bathroom. Fell between the wall and toilet, which is a pretty small space. I'm amazed he didn't get hurt.

Yesterday I updated my freezer inventory so I can work on the menu plan for the weeks ahead.

It is cold and windy here; yesterday I had to take Big DS to school at 5 AM and we stood out in the cold for 1/2 hour until everyone got there I swear I didn't warm up until midafternoon! DS called us after he was done on his plane ride; they took the kids to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans before heading to Mississippi.

I made sure today that DH took some lunch to work (leftover chicken, rice and veg from last week's dinner). He also had a bagel for breakfast. If he doesn't do this, he will eat NOTHING all day and then stop for a fast food burger on the way home, then eat dinner, then raid the fridge all night. I worry about his health so I'm glad he has a healthy lunch today. He has put on about 100 lb in the almost 18 years we've been married. Sometimes I nag him and then I feel bad for doing it--but it worries me when he doesn't take care of himself.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, we have a light dusting of snow here too. However its in the forecast for the entire week.....I can at least pull the wagon for today and have decided its on a day to day basis and we will deal with it. The worst is not walking oldest ds all the way to school but at least 1/2 way. Which in reality should not be a biggy as he does walk home by himself and fast! (group of kids till he gets to our street)....
Old 11-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

it is snowing pretty hard we are suppose to get an 1-3 by tomorrow and i have to go back out and pick up the dog thisevening i hope its not slick

Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, ladies! I was feeling pretty low yesterday because it is yet another month when the money is probably going to run out before the bills. But DH and I sat down and had a very constructive discussion about our finances. I think he finally "gets it"! We came up with a few things that we can cancel to save about $45/month. Not much, but I see it as a good start. I think I also have him convinced that buying coffee at work every day really adds up over the long run. I did buy him a thermos that plugs into your car cigarette lighter and he has agreed to use it. With him not buying the coffee (and snacks to go with it) at work, we figured that we can save another $30/month. This morning I feel empowered!

Barb, I'm sorry to hear that Luke is not feeling well today. I hope he gets better soon.

Jean, Anna and anyone else who has been treated badly because of weight, I am truly sorry. I do not understand why people have to be so judgmental.

Jamie, where are you? I miss reading your posts. I hope all is well with you.

DH is off on a business trip so I have to take DD2 to school this morning. I better go throw some clothes on. Well, just pants. I will be wearing a coat over my pajama top.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Kathy
Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kathy, I'm so sorry, I forgot to post my thoughts on the gift buying. Barb pretty well has it nailed. What I did for my neice was bought a cute little purse (on clearance) and filled it with body spray, lip gloss, nail files, a pretty nail polish, just stuff to pamper her, they are getting to that age. Boys... what Barb said, they aren't near the emotional maturity that girls are at that age, lol. They still love their toys. Heck, my dbf is 43 and he has his toys, even bought himself a Green Machine to ride with the kids, yes, they can hold up to 170 lbs and he's 165 (skinny boy).

Oh and Kathy, I think it's great that you and your hubby sat down and came up with a plan. Good for you both!

Jamie...where are you? I do hope all is well.

Barb, thank you, yes, he does let me know that he appreciates the things I do. He has his random moments where he just blurts it out. He was really impressed with the job I did in the bedroom closet in organizing the trains (in boxes of course) and getting everything put away. He's just...a guy...that's the only way to explain it, they don't think like we do.

Karen, yikes, that much snow! I'm so happy we missed it, they predicted 2 inches this past Sat., it didn't happen.

I think I'll hit the store after lunch with mom, I'm going to get some exercise in before I leave the house or I won't get it in. I'm a morning person and by evening I'm pooped out.

Hugs friends,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Last edited by Lislyn66; 11-17-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jean and for all the other who have weight problems.I think it is very sad when people can make fun of you and aslo call you names.It is a bad thing to do and a bad thing for all the young ones to see too.My brother before he passed away was a very big guy about 300 to 350.But he aslo had a heart of gold too.
Barb,Hope luke is feeling better today.It sure is hard on them when they get so sick.
Ericka,You did wonderful in your sales.Roberta gave you some very good tips too.
Frugal for me?Well last night I sat down to tackle my schoolwork.I have some of it left to work on but want to make sure that I know what I am doing too.This moring I have the clothes all folded up and the sheets will be going in the dryer in abit.Not too much is going on here but that is ok.Dh spent enough money for us yesterday.I hope jamie is ok too.
Mish
Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good for you on going to workout lisa.
and you gave some good ideas too.
No snow here and I am pretty thankful for that too,.
Mish
Old 11-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for the kind words for Luke. He has perked up a bit but doesn't want to eat anything. Maybe later.

Lisa, I too am a morning person. I try to be "done" with heavy duty stuff by lunch, and then I do my writing in the early afternoon. By the time the kids get home from school I am at the end of the line, LOL!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, it wasn't until recently, as in getting laid off that I realized my limitations, lol. I do hope Luke feels better, poor little man.

Mish, thanks, I'm working out at home today, I have a new Richard Simmons video I bought at the DG. Yes he's goofy but he makes you move. Plus I can giggle and laugh with him and laughing is exercising on the inside!

TTFN,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, Hope Luke feels better soon!!

Closed Thread