Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Last night I planned on making homemade pizza for dinner. Well, when I pulled the bread machine out to start the dough, I noticed that the little mixing arm wasn't in the pan. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it. Then I remembered that the last time I used the machine I actually baked the bread in the machine. (I wanted to use that bread for stuffing.) When I took that loaf of bread out, the mixing arm was stuck inside the loaf. I put it on the cooling rack with the intent of getting it out when the loaf had cooled a little bit. DH helped me clean up and wrapped the loaf of bread up and placed it in the freezer - yep - with the mixer still in it. So, I had to pull the loaf out of the freezer yesterday and wait for it to thaw. By that time it was too late to make the pizza dough. So, we had grilled cheese sandwiches with the bread and I made the pizza for lunch today instead. I will make another loaf of potato bread tomorrow and put it in the freezer for Thanksgiving stuffing!

Since I have spent so much on groceries over the last two weeks - close to $400! - I am being very careful to use up everything and let nothing go to waste. I am also going to avoid the grocery market this week except for produce and milk. This morning I made muffins for breakfast, two pizzas for lunch and am making baked eggplant and pasta salad for dinner. Dessert will be an apple crisp made from apples that have seen better days. Tomorrow I will plan out meals for the rest of the week using what I have on hand.

I have been busy working on Christmas gifts as well. I got 5 ornaments done so far!

I need to go move some laundry around. I hope you are all having a good Saturday. I'll talk to you later.

Kathy
Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry for the back to back, but I wanted to share my frugal discovery with you. If you go to www.allrecipes.com and do an ingredient search, you can search for recipes to make with ingredients you have on hand. You can also enter ingredients that you don't have so those recipes won't pop up.

Kathy
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kathy,Thanks goodness you were able to find it.
My I have been gone for a good part of the day and then I had all this reading to do.
Frugal for me?Well today went to the ymca with the younger 2 then we went for my youngest to have her well check up and then for them to get the flu shots.I came home and went to a craft show with my g/f and I might go play bingo tonight.I need to go as we are going to church in abit.
Mish
Old 11-15-2008, 12:55 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma, hope your sister gets over her issue!

Kathymac, Great save on still having a homemade meal!

I have no voice and a terrible cough runny nose so it was pajama day for me. The kids were invited to a movie with the couple I am not the occasional sitter for. Glad they got to go out. Also the lost her frugal old mom would of told dh to order out or go to Mcdonalds for dinner, the new back to frugal me instead sent him down the basement for the frozen lasagna I had picked up at Aldis a long time ago. HE is even making garlic bread to go with it in the bread machine as we speak. Good guy!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member

kathy that is hilarious about the mixing blade being stuck in the bread and ending up in the freezer, sorry about the pizza but oh my that is funny to me...

I remember when you came on years ago and were just starting to be frugal and now your dh is really on the bandwagon, what a success story!

my dh is couponing now, and always did watch prices a bit, fixes things...

my frugal not great, but we did start the coal burner up tonight and made dinner from the freezer. I would be going to the new Bond movie with the girls and dh but my tummy is still off so that means I'll stay in my pjs and do even more chemistry review, you know it is starting to make sense (finally!) but can I do the exercises at the ends of the chapters????

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Good evening all!!

Lee, my sister will never get over her issues. But I called her awhile ago, as we are under a tornado watch for another hour, and then severe thunderstorm watch for a half hour after that. She was ok with me then. So maybe I just needed to clear the air. But she was still under the anesthetic and had taken pain pills for her carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, so I couldn't hold it against her. I never do, because it takes too much energy to be angry all the time. I hope you feel better soon, too. It is nice when you don't have to do the cooking, but get to enjoy a nice home-cooked meal.

It looks like Christmas exploded here in my house. I went shopping, even in the rain, and wind and heat, it was 73* here today. I was picking up a little bit here and there, but just didn't feel I had the "meat" of it done, so out the door I went.

Then I went across the street to the grocery store, and finished off a couple of gifts, got 5 bags of the Green Giant Steamers for free, some more dry ingredients and a couple more items for the Thanksgiving gift basket I make every year, and qualified for the free turkey. That turkey will be part of the gift basket.

Then I came home, and have everything all over the floor. I am dividing it up by family so that when it comes time to put everything together, it goes more quickly. One top for my nephew's fiance, I had to hang right away, it wrinkled immediately. I have some cardboard (from the new tablecloth I unwrapped earlier this week) that I will wrap the top around (like in a store), and put it right into a gift box as soon as it straightens itself out.

I have a pot of chicken bones on to simmer and will make soup with the rest of the chicken from last Sunday. Right now I have some of the bits, the pieces of onion and carrots I cooked it in originally for dinner.

Well ladies, better go for now. Time to get a shower and relax for the evening.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi all. It's still RAINING here. All week - with no let up. Much colder today as well.
Frugal today - made some fruit salad - had apples and bananas that needed to be used. Added some oranges and peaches. Also made a pan of brownies.
Lunch was leftovers and dinner was homemade (sort of) enchiladas. Had 5 frozen burritos, topped with enchilada sauce and cheese. Quite tasty.
Did some sorting in the basement. Trying to declutter!!!!!!
Going to soak in a nice hot bath! Can't wait!!!

Have a great one!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

I tossed my mixing arm once....... the bread got icky and the mixing arm was still in it. Very unfrugal mistake, those dudes arent cheap.

Unfrugal here was sending dh into town to pick up the puffer for dd. I filled the other puffer rx yesterday. Then I had him pick up chicken at the deli for lunch. Frugal was using veggies and fruit here to round out the meal.

Ds birthday is Monday. I feel myself sliding towards buying him a gift even after we agreed not to. He and his wife .... who knows if they will ever learn? Thier hands are always stretched out wanting something. sigh. It makes me sad and I want to cry, we were so happy when we had him. I will talk to everyone and we will decide together.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Wow you all have been busy on here. Crochet2 I so totally can relate to the sister issues, I am so glad that mine is a little resolved and hope this coming year that she'll be more willing to get together with my little sister, it makes me so uncomfortable that she wants me but not my little sister.

Frugal today? All meals at home today. Also bartered with my girlfriend to sew purse handles for me instead of me gluing them together, will stop fraying. Fraychek works good but this is easier. We'll exchange work for candles, works for me.

Erica

Hope you had a good day with your sales... ours was a record breaker check today!

Well I'm watching a Dr. Doolittle show "Hail to the Chief" so I'll talk with everyone later.

Anna
Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member

Talk about busy! You ladies sure are! I have so much to say. Some old. I am going way back.
Roberta--I Hope you get a new babysitting job soon.
Anna---I read where your sales were awesome! WOOOHOO!
Barb----Way to go on making your own lunchanbles! The lunch prices at your school are high. Not much you can do about that!
Connie---Love the photos on your blog and hope your family finds what they need.
Ericka---Be very wary of the ex! I know through experience!
So much else I should comment on.
I am worried that I have carpal tunnel syndrom. I can barely type and the pain shoots up to my shoulder. I will have to live with it for awhile.

Frugal for me.....shopping once a week. No stops at the store for anything else. I did manage to save $15. in coupons and $34 in store savings. There is one thing that was great. I just happened upon it. I love potato bread and it was buy 1 get 1. It was $3.19 a loaf ant each loaf had a coupon for .55. Each coupon was doubled to a dollar. I got 2 loaves of my favorite bread vary cheap!

I have 6 days to work then I am off for a week. I cannot wait to be able to be here aolmost every day. I miss you all so much.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills

Closed Thread