Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

bluebird - as they say "Baby Steps". I guess a good start with the paper mess is to buy a good 4 drawer filing cabinet at a thrift shop. I found one for my daughter's law ofc. for $15 on the first thrift shop I visited, knowing in the past they have a good supply of office things. I also found free file folders and hanging file folders at a thrift shop.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, Anna, I feel your pain! I am so sorry to hear about the store. Times are changing, aren't they? Guess we just stick together and be there for each other, huh?

And Ellen, thank you for the suggestions! You've given me some new options--thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, frugal here, I walked down to vote, so didn't have to use gas for the car. Also got some exercise. Stopped by my Mother's house and she gave me some dolls with crocheted dresses for my daughter. As my Mom isn't too far from the voting place. Since she gave me some things to take home, she gave me a ride home in her car. It was a free day and I got some exercise.

Ran a load of laundry and a load of dishes in the dishwasher today. Ate lunch at home as well as the kids have lunch at home. Had a drink at my Mom's house. It was a beautiful but windy day here today. In the 70's here today. Hope everyone had a great day. God bless you all.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hello, all. Happy Election Day! DD1 and I went to vote early this morning. We had to wait 15 minutes because the polls hadn't opened yet. This is her first election and she was very excited. When the people in line learned that it was her first time, they insisted that she be the first to cast her vote in our district. When she came out of the booth, they gave her a round of applause!

After that, I went to WM to do my grocery shopping. Prices continue to go up. I spent over $200.00 today! We are very well stocked and I am goint to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it as far as I can.

Anna, I'm so sorry to hear about your store closing. At least, they gave you a good amount of notice. I hope you find another place where you can do as well. Hugs.

Lisa, I think you will love being a GS leader. I was a co-leader for each of my DD's. I think I did it for 4 years total.

Jean, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better today.

Jacki, my birthday is on Friday, too. We're celebrating by going out to dinner tomorrow night at Olive Garden. It's been ages since I've been there! Oh, and my heart goes out to you that you HAVE to spend the whole day reading!

Barb, I hope you're able to squeeze a little more life out of that car!

I better get moving and get dinner started. I'm cooking chicken legs and baked potatoes on the grill. It's our last warm day probable till the Spring.

I hope you all have a relaxing evening.

Kathy

Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member

I put my bills in due date order so I can time it with the paychecks, sometimes we pay twice a month and sometimes once depending on how the bills and the pay schedules fall

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks so much for the tips!!

We walked down to vote too.

Frugal for me is thinking ahead for lunches. I think we will have soup and sandwiches. I can vary the soup and sandwiches each week.

We were told a gal here in town was becoming a dealer for infared heaters so we ordered one. She in turn, is waiting on my dad to advise her on which company to go with. She has a long wait. We can't find dry corn to burn, no one is getting wood pellets in. Looks like we will depend on our electric heat for now.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Connie and Dena, good job on being able to walk to the polling place.

Kathy, that is neat that your daughter got to be the first voter. A month ago dh and I were eating at an outdoor place and at another table was a family with a boy talking about the election and what he thought about how you should go about being informed on the candidates, etc. He was rather loud and a man from another table commented. The mom said "this is his first election and he's very excited". It was a cute conversation. Glad you were able to get your cupboards all stocked up, how long will $200 last at your house?

Jean, so glad you feel better today, hopefully your body is getting used to the medication.

Lee, congrats on the free tickets, that sounds like so much fun.

Anna, I too am sorry to hear that store is closing down. It always sounds like you do so good there, others must not have the same good quality and assortment of products you do if the owners aren't making it. I hope the new place will work out great for you once you get everything moved and organized. Best of luck.

Blondie, you must have gotten a really good deal on that soup to buy 70 cans! wow.

Sammi, only 1/4 tank of gas in 2 weeks is excellent, wish I could say the same but I cannot.

I called my friend today, I just don't know how to help her. She is in her late 50's, lives with her boyfriend. He doesn't treat her well, talks down to her, etc. No hitting. She realizes the situation but chooses to do nothing about it. Her only relatives are one daughter and one granddaughter. She and I used to work together, she got fired 2 years ago. I was on vacation and came back and she was gone. She always has so many problems, most brought on by herself, all I can really do is listen to her but would like to do more. She feels she's too old to find another job and doesn't want to anyway but her bf is on her constantly about money and how he can't afford her. She doesn't want to live with her daughter, she tried that and became the free housekeeper and babysitter. She realizes she's not doing anything to help herself, I suggested she at least go to the welfare office and see what she qualifies for and see if they can help her get a job. I told her I would even go with her if she was embarassed but she puts it off and won't commit to doing it. Last month I took her to lunch and gave her books and magazines I was done reading. I suggested she get a library card as she loves to read like I do. She doesn't want to commit to returning the books on time! Any ideas of something I can do to help her?
Jacki
Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, I'm so sorry about the Artisan mall closing, will be praying that the other mall works out for you.

Mish, you're right, I am almost as busy as you!

Lee, that is great about the tickets! I'd love to see both skaters, they are amazing.

Barb, I hope it's not much to fix the car.

Kathy, that is so cool about your daughter! That is something she'll always remember, a positive experience!

Jean, I'm happy you're feeling better too. Medication is scary stuff.

I returned the jeans to WalMart finally. I did get a few more Christmas gifts, 2 things were on clearance, one sweater dress that was $15 so I didn't think that was bad at all. I bought matching picture frames for all of the kids (his and mine) school pics, couldn't find 2 more to match the ones I had for my kids already from years past. They didn't have any "oops" paint that I could use outside though, neither did Home Depot, they had a pitiful selection. I haven't gone to Menards yet but I won't just go there, I'll look only if I'm headed that way. Did get phase 2 of the porch done, took the cat to the vet for his shots, scheduled his neuter appointment for next Thurs. He was a good boy in the vet's office, save for a few claw marks into me that is, lol. But he sat nicely for the vet. I think it helped she is a woman, he is more comfortable around women. She commented on how sweet he was and how much he loved on me. She said she could tell I was his "mom" just the way he looked at me, but he never made a sound.

Not an overly frugal day as I had to buy things at WalMart, make up, Noxema, batteries for the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detector. Also it was $105 at the vet but he needed his shots and the test for feline leukemia, it was negative thank goodness.

I need to get off of here to pick dd1 up from work. Will check in later.

Oh, and Jacki, I hate to say this but I believe your friend is hiding behind her dependency on people, that's her crutch. She's afraid to try. That's just what I think having seen it in quite a few people that I know.

I did make supper from what we had at home though.

Hugs,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Last edited by Lislyn66; 11-04-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, I am so sorry to hear that your store is closing. I hope the other mall will work out for you!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

For sure frugal today as have not been anywhere but voting.

Closed Thread