Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today? October 2008

Welcome to the latest installment of our popular topic: What did you do frugal today? Here is where we share our ideas on saving money in big and small ways. We talk about what has worked for us, and what just didn't! And we encourage each other as we try to live a more frugal life.

Everyone is welcome to join the discussion and share ideas on how to keep it frugal!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

I'm baking today to get some cakes and slices in the freezer for school going back next monday. But on the other hand I'm emptying the freezer of the other bits and pieces that have collected over the last few months.

Also been going through the wardrobes and mending clothes, and making pj pants wider (top to bottom, side seams, with complimentary colour) so the boys have new grow room.

I planted new lettuce as the others were finished and new shallots as the rotten cat next door dug out my new lot and spread them all around they did not retake.

Hope all is well, beautiful to be in spring and I have an 18th b-day in October .... yay? LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Nine Year Member

Filled both cars today and saved $4.40 between the $.10 off per gallon and the 5% rebate with Discover card. Went ahead and filled up since today was the last day for the 5% rebate. Will have to pre-load my Kroger card the rest of the year as groceries will get the 5% rebate so will load the gift card in the store and buy my gas with it.

Doing two loads of laundry back to back to save dryer heat. All clothes will be clean so we can pack tomorrow night.

DD2 was tested for strep today which was negative as I had taken her in to see the doctor about the spots that have been spredding over her belly and back the past week. She isn't contagious and the doctor said would probably take 6 weeks to clear up.

Roberta
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, wow, time for a new month thread!

Bilby, sounds like you're very busy! My dd1 has handed down several of her pj bottoms to dd2. I'm so sorry about your neighbor's cat. I had trouble with something this year, not sure if it was a squirrel or a cat digging up some things here and there. That's so annoying isn't it?

Well, back to my show. Just sat down and clipped coupons while watching, a nice envie to go to Norma tomorrow, hopefully this one will actually get there!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dang! forgot to sub!

Sorry!
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member

Ladies. Very fortunate tonight. Had the time to get onFC!

Anyway.....I am going back.......Thans for all feelin my anixiety. Especially Ellen.....You descrided it to a point! I'm dealing with it.
Those flashlights that you crank are awesome. There is one in my Jeep and several through out the house.
Belated HB to Karen!
Annna--We used to have a can recycler where we got paid by the pound. The y are gone now! I hate that. But DH loads our recyclables once a week and takes them to the drop off.

Great job Lisa!!!

Lee---Sorry to hear hear of your loss.

Again.....No money spent. I shopped last Sat. and that was it. Have to go again on Sat. for the bare essentials and Organic Milk for dgs.

Hugs to you all.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone. I have not had a frugal day but its been a good day anyway.

Took ds to the orthodontist. We went to walmart and food city. Once again, I was upset to find some of the normal things I buy had really gone up a lot. Tp (store brand) was up a 1.00 and detergent was up a 1.00 or more that I buy. Unfrugal, was my jar of Ragu falling out of the bag on the way into the house and hitting the sidewalk and busting. I am thankful no one got cut. We got gas for the car. It was 3.59 today.

Roberta, I hope your dd feels better soon. I hope you all enjoy your trip.

Jacki, I am glad you had a good time on your get away. Yes, its amazing how many things there are to do in Pigeon Forge. I haven't even begun to do all there is there. Also, Gatlinburg is close by with so much to do there. The problem is its so expensive to do anything there. Going up in the Smoky Mts is so wonderful. Cades Cove is my favorite place there. Its so beautiful and we just love to drive around and see and count the deer and wildlife. I imagine years ago when the settlers were there it was such a wonderful place to farm and live. I am sure it was a hard life but a wonderful one. We live about 3 and half hours away from there. I hope we can go back there one of these days.

Its hard to believe September is gone. The time is going by so fast. This year has just flown by it seems.

Being frugal now seems more important than ever with the economy being like it is. I really don't understand about the bail out plan for the banks all that well but it really concerns me. I just don't know how its going to effect families.

Well sorry I have rambled on so much. I hope you all sleep well and have a great day tomorrow.
Jean
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Assistant Moderator

Bilby, that is a idea about pj bottoms! I will remember it.
Roberta, what does your dd2 have then?
Hugs to all!
We have to take dd back to the doctor tomorrow. It is also the People to People meeting tomorrow night. Combining trips will save money! We will eat lunch at home and dinner out. I have meat thawing for a fast lunch before we leave. Dd is very upset. She doesn't want to eat out. The mood swings when she comes off the steroids........ need I say more?
I recieved two skeins of yarn today in the mail. I had emailed the company because the yarn wasn't twisted, just threads, in the middle of the skein. I think that is enough yarn to finish the sweater I am working on!
I will get cookies baking in the morning to take with us.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

just subbing
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Nine Year Member

I am not sure how or why my dks have picked this up but both have been holding steady part time jobs for about 3 years now. My dd2 is almost on her 200th hour (which means another raise). She will work a 13 hour day on a weekend day and make almost $100. Say what you will about poorly paying jobs (and this one is just above minimum wage), when you bank the money instead of spending it, it adds up. She is saving for college textbooks.

DD1 has been working in a science lab while going to school for 3 years now and still manages a social life, so I am proud of her to figure out how to balance things in her life. She wants to graduate and start a family, I hope she is not disappointed!

We've been eating off the pork loin that I stuffed with garlic and rosemary. I froze 1/3 of it for a small roast and then roasted the other part, about 5 pounds. Three dinners off it and the rice and potatoes and salad and melon. Unfortunately the watermelon spoiled too fast, lasting only 2 days in the fridge. I hope the cantaloupe faired better. Will find out shortly.

Bought and used a Neti Pot. It is to do a saline rinse of your nostrils. The idea here is to flush out the allergens and toxins that get captured in your nasal passages before they migrate to your sinuses and throat. It was very easy to do, took just a minute or two, and I felt so much better all day. I had been working in a very dusty waste water treatment plant storage closet (doing an inventory on some of our equipment) and kept getting a bloody nose, not typical for me. The Neti pot appears to have worked. Now I understand that many use a Neti for allergies and sinus infections. If you suffer from these you might want to try such a rinse. Felt like I had been swimming in the ocean, very clean feeling.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread