FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What Did You Do Frugal Today (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/)
-   -   What Did You Do Frugal Today? August 2008 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/23432-what-did-you-do-frugal-today-august-2008-a.html)

barbszy 08-01-2008 06:21 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today? August 2008

We're starting a new way of organizing our "What Did You Do Frugal" area! Each month we'll begin a new thread. This will help members who want to check out our summertime threads for back-to-school and summer frugal fun; wintertime threads for holiday gifts and decorating on a budget....

So welcome to What Did You Do Frugal Today and tell us the little and big ways YOU are saving money.

Lislyn66 08-01-2008 06:45 AM

Basically subbing!

Jamie, thanks for the sweet comment. I'm not losing lbs but I see a change in the clothes, and muscle ways more than flub so....lol!

My frugal this summer has been basically sticking close to home (except the Chicago trips on the girls' behalf, yikes, almost $200 in gasoline!)

Better get back to work here! Check on you all later!

Lisa :hippoo:

jjoj 08-01-2008 06:52 AM

:flowerddd Just subbing. Be back later!

craftchick 08-01-2008 06:54 AM

A fun thing to do

1 Attachment(s)
:flff:Happy August everyone!!!
I was trying to do something fun yesterday, and just happened to stumble on a contest from Simplicity patterns. The last day to enter was last night midnight EST. Any how, I went into my sewing room and through my fabrics and found some pretty fabric, I had recently purchased a discount Simplicity pattern and got it made, called a friend to come model for me took her picture . :cameraa:Submitted it 5 minutes before the deadline. I am MST. It was fun, I hope the pic comes through for you to see, let me know what you think...:tuppp: It was fun, I gave her the dress and she was so happy and so was I.

:crabb:Craftchick

Johnnysgirl 08-01-2008 07:20 AM

Barb, I wanted to tell you that the chicken scratch instead of wild bird seed thing was kind of a bust, only the squirrels and rabbits like it, the birds hate it! Dh had bought me one 50 lb. bag and it was $11 so not really cheaper than the bird seed. I think the regular price here is $5.99 for 20 lbs. I usually get it at Target. Also on the scientific graphing calculator I was reading on the Simple Times newsletter this week that someone was able to get one for $70 with store sale and rebate. Others had bought them used on Ebay and even pawn stores. One of the other cool tips I read (although I don't think it will apply to you since your kids go to a smaller private school) was that some schools buy these calculators and rent them to students for $10 per semester.

Another kind of frugal idea that my dd1 and I were discussing this week applies to her but not really me. Her dh is a wildland firefighter and makes good money in the summer being gone on fires then they just "get by" in the winter. She was talking about stocking the cupboards and freezer and trying to think of other ways to stock up before her dh sees how much extra money is in the bank account and blows it on junk. I suggested she buy Target, Wal Mart or Visa gift cards to put away for winter shopping. She is also doing some Christmas shopping now.

On the morning news the weather man was saying today is "Llamas Day", meaning we are halfway through summer, the opposite of groundhog day in February. I'd never heard of this before.

Tomorrow we have a BBQ/Going Away party for dd2's dh, he is leaving for Navy boot camp this coming Wednesday.
Jacki

barbszy 08-01-2008 07:33 AM

Jackie, good thing I never did find the chicken scratch then! Thanks for checking it out for me :)

I get the Simple Times newsletter but haven't read it yet so I'll check out the advice on the calculator. DH has already :madcurse: "It's such a waste..." Since our older kids are 4 years apart there's a good shot that the one we buy for DS will be "out of date" by the time DD gets to it!

Good suggestion to your DD to set aside money since they are on an irregular income. It has to be really hard to plan ahead in that situation--kudos to her for working out a plan.

Today I have to get my menu plan together for the month of August.

RobertaD 08-01-2008 09:24 AM

I think buying gift cards now while there is extra money is a great idea can purchase gas, groceries and even Christmas gifts later.

Roberta

ellenmelon 08-01-2008 09:40 AM

So we bought our two girls nice (expensive) graphing calculators thinking ahead to college and then dd1 says they can not use them for the first two levels of math and chem, in fact, for one of the levels they aren't allowed calculators at all, my advice, go cheap on them and get the minimum or use the school one.

futureteacher 08-01-2008 09:48 AM

Just subbing!

jeandeanette 08-01-2008 10:13 AM

Hi everyone. Just wanted to sub and check in. Frugal is just staying home and eating from home.

Jacki, thats a very good idea your dd has about buying the cards for future use.

Craftchick, great going on the dress.

Roberta, can you tell me step by step how you put beans in the freezer? I don't know how long you blanche them or if you break them before or anything about putting them in the freezer. I would appreciate any help.

We don't have a Aldi anywhere around our area but I do go to save-a-lot some and I have noticed a big jump in their prices like you Lisa and Chris have noticed at Aldi. Its everywhere it seems.

Well I have a lot I need to do just wanted to say hi. Have a good day.