Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lisa, most of the coupons were $1 so my "double coupon" bonus was under $2.

I had used a lot of Kroger coupons that I recieved in the mail last week $10 off $100 order, $1 off $4 fruit purchase, $3 off $15 health & beauty purchase used b1g1f Kotex coupon and picked up 2 kids cold medicine, $2 off $10 beef purchase, etc. And Nestley was doing a $5 instant rebate with a $20 purchase so went ahead and bought dog food which was on sale and had a $2 off coupon as well.

Tuna patties that my Mom always made was tuna, crushed saltine crackers and a can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup saving some of soup to spread on the top.

Roberta
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning all!!

Thanks for the well wishes. Now I need to get the money that goes with this "part-time" position.

We used to use the term "mess" for lots of veggies, like collard greens, crowder peas, green beans, etc.

Anna, I am glad your bp is down. Better down than up. I am so sorry though that your dh has to go back on the oxygen.

Roberta, you know you have to take advantage of the coupons and savings when they come along.

Ellen, you make me laugh about the garbage bags. About 2-3 years ago, Hefty kept issuing $1 coupons for any size box/kind of bags. And the local grocery store kept putting the 18 count tall kitchen bags on sale for $.99. I still have probably 20 boxes. This is after selling tons at several yard sales, to my sister, my sister's friend, and using tons myself. And I have a box and a half under my kitchen sink that I am working on right now.

This is how I did it. I contacted Carol Ann and asked that this be added to my "wish list" at the Coupon Swap Club. I scanned e-bay for these coupons, and had them alert me with an e-mail every time someone posted a listing for them. I bought up every coupon I could. I made that investment money back by selling some at the yard sales. I will have garbage bags for quite some time to come. And every time I open another box, I know it is one less box that I have to pay full price for. Since I got them, even the sales tax increased from $.06 to $.07, so I am saving that extra penny too.

Well, off my soap box. I need to get lunch together, and get out of here.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma congrats on the new job and hope you get the pay soon also and that is awsome how you got all those trash bags i wish i could coupon like that

well frugal today dh is home so we are canning hot pappers i wait on him to can them so he can clean them have a great day everyone

Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Work has been crazy this week, so I haven't had time to post--just lurk! But I have to say, Norma, that trash bag story is truly inspirational! You can find the deals like no one else I know--way to go!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, all!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jeandeanette, Yes we have 6 blueberry bushes in our yard that dh planted years ago that give us tons of blueberries. We are also starting a blueberry farm in Maine. Dh put in 125 blueberry plants this spring, has over 200 more coming next spring and another 100 or so coming the year after. It will be “pick your own” once everything is established and I am hoping he chooses to do organic.

Lisa, around here we have always said a “mess” of something. Like my dad used to say he “caught a mess of trout” etc.

Lauri, I hate it when coupons require you to buy several of something to save a dollar. Often I only want/need one of something and with limited storage space I can’t always buy more of something to store it for later. And feel free to vent anytime. We all take a turn venting at one time or another.

Today is gorgeous out. After weeks and weeks of rain, I am finally able to use my clothes line to hang out laundry!!! Woohoo! And as school starts for my ds2 next week, my goal this year is to do trash free lunches. I have bought 4 wrap mats, 2 other reusable sandwich containers and several other snack containers as well as 4 (2 different kinds) of drink containers. Wish me luck that I don’t fall back into the pattern of buying all those prepackaged fruit cups, snacks, and juice bottles. I am trying to do this for dh too.

~Mother Theresa

Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma, congratulations also on the "new" job.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow everyone is doing so good with being frugal.
Last night went to the open houses and it was intersting to say the least.I had some fun talking with some of the teachers and I even tried to do some homework too.Now today I need to go back to town for a caluctor for me and also I am getting low on food too.

For the most part I should be ok but the terms in my class are different and the class was pretty full.Today is the last day of vacation for the kids and my dh is going on vacation.He is feeling better and my oldest is getting better too.Aslo my middle dds rash is getting better too.Not sure if we will have it rechecked or see a the dertmosit or not.Life is so much fun here.
Mish
Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A 'mess' to me is a dutch oven full.

Today is the press converence. I hope someone shows up!

Need to get started on laundry and tidying up the house.

Stuie was allowed to wake ds up this morning. It was so cute! Ds never acts like a kid, never has. He did this morning!

Frugal was making a thank you gift basket for the trainers. Their vices are chocolate and tea. That is what I filled it with. At the dollar store, I found some Dear God mugs. Both have sayings about being helpful people. I added homemade cocoa mix, a candy bar, a box of truffles, three different types of tea. All in a basket I already had.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning everyone. Its going to be hot here today. I have got the guys fed and off for their day, fed and watered the dog, make yds' bed, emptied and reloaded the dw, I'm on my second load of clothes, cleaned yds' bathroom, vacuumed some and picked up a little. I need to finish the laundry and wash a bunch of dishes by hand. I am just taking a break. Frugal today will be staying home and cooking from what we have. I plan on making a small meatloaf, mashed potatoes and reheat the leftover green beans. I may make a vegetable bake and corn bread too. Its too bad a housewife don't get paid for cooking an cleaning.

Sammi, thats great about all those blueberries bushes. I hope you have a lot of success with the farm.

Connie, thats a very sweet thoughtful thing for you to make up those baskets like that. I bet they will really love them.

Well everyone have a blessed day.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Wow all those Blueberries yummy wish I had some of them. As a young girl in NJ use to go and pick them for the owners "for pay" plus always bought a basket to take home to Mom
Have no idea what is in store for me today hope I don't go anywhere even tho' I need Eggs badly as told ministers wife I would make Deviled Eggs for Sunday's cookout after service. Also need them for here too.
Will hang wash out after washing it in cold water. Plan to wash dishes by hand.
Norma wow on the garbage bags want to send a box here lol. Be glad when payday gets here

Closed Thread