Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Let's see, frugal in the last week... DD has been buying all the gas for my car, as we are still sharing it. She can't afford to repair hers as her roomate has been stiffing her on their expenses. Everything is in her name and she wants to keep her good credit so she just pays and pays... but she will move back in with us when the lease is up and deadbeat will be out in the cold. A friend of DD's is going to rent our fourth bedroom for a while also, so our housing expenses will be cut in half with them chipping in.

We are still not buying food except for milk. It makes me be creative with the pantry and frozen stuff combined with food bank, and very thankful for my bread machine! It also forces me to plan ahead, which is a good thing. I haven't been doing much freezer cooking the last few months, but I actually have a few meals tucked away now.

I got a free meal from the snack bar at work for showing up during the "blizzard" last Saturday. DH drove me in his truck or I wouldn't have been able to get out. I told one of my managers I didn't know whether to ask for hazard pay or expect to be docked for foolishness for going out in that weather. The snowplow got stuck in the parking lot!

We were able to use one coupon for a $10 gift card at the pharmacy. I wish they would come out the month all our 'scripts expire, so we could get nine of them!

I tucked back some clothes DD wanted that went clearance so I can pick them up today (payday).

Gas is 3.49 here. That really hurts with all the driving DH does on his job.

I hope to get to the grocery today. I have a pharmacy reward for $20 off $50 worth of groceries, and I'm really missing cheese and fresh veggies! But one of my friends is about to go into labor, so I may be watching her beatiful daughters instead. Maybe she has cheese LOL!

I ran out of laundry soap and toilet paper last week and bought the ones that came with a $5 gift card. The next day, DD gave me a coupon for the laundry soap. I took it with my receipt to the service desk to get a "missed coupon refund" and both of items were on sale this week, so I got over $5 back. Target will adjust prices if items go on sale within 2 weeks after you buy them. Unfortunately, the cashier forgot to use my coupon, so I missed that dollar, but I'm happy.

It's almost time to get into the garden pw
Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 AM

Good morning all!!

Ellen, you need to claim 0 on your w-4 form. That will take out the most money and usually insures that you get back money. And so does your husband. I know, that during the year there is more money in the paycheck, but it is not worth it to owe, and such a huge chunk at tax time. I am also surprised that with the interest you can deduct on school loans, etc., that you owe.

Also, I put every receipt that has meds (over the counter also) in an envie as I walk in the door. I divide them into categories (scripts, over-the-counter, doctor's visits, cobra, etc.) and let our tax lady figure out what I can claim. At least she has information and receipts if she needs to look at what I am providing her.

Anna, way to go on sticking to just the items you needed at that store. That is so hard, especially when milk is at the back of the store.

Frugal for me?? Just taking lunch, making all meals at home (except for Thursday night dinner with my friend), making homebrewed iced tea, all the usual things.

Last night, since the meal came with soup, salad, and bread, my friend and I both just had the salads packed up, and added some of the bread from the basket to bring home. For lunch today, I am adding chicken and some shredded cheese, and bringing some gorgonzolla dressing for lunch. I might make eggbread (not quite french toast), from the bread I brought home for breakfast tomorrow.

There will be 2 inserts in Sunday's papers. Some people will get a "free" coupon for some new kind of dry cat food.

Well ladies, better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member

I have DH claim 0 on his W2 as the extra taxes taken out cover what I owe on my home business and generally we get back some from Federal and owe state & school a little bit as the city makes me pay quarterly on the estimated income.

Today is going to be unfrugal, I really hope gas drops over the next couple of hours as I need to fill up the van so that will be about $70 but will use a $.10 off per gallon coupon.

Need to get busy as I need to bake 2 cakes and go to the store to buy pot roast with fixings for 40 people for tomorrow's dinner.

Roberta
Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma,Sounds like you are staying busy.
Pam,Good to hear from you and you seem to be getting the deals too.Wow gas is high there.
Roberta,Sounds like me who needs gas.But the dinner party does sound like alot of fun.Are you having just friends and family too??
Elle,Hope you can get your taxes figured out.You do a very good job trying to stay frugal during the year.At tax time is when they can really get us.
Frugal for me?Today I am going to the gasd station here in town to get some gas.I will then come back home and try to do some work for my class.I might make a phone call to make sure I am working on the right stuff too.Last night went ok at the ymca.My youngest is still pretty tired from last night but I am going to try and get around it for the most part.
Hope you all have a wonderful and frugal day
Hugs,
Mish
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Preacherswife, it's so nice to see you post again, I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Please visit again very soon.

Lisa, I remember you recently redid your kitchen floor, mine needs it too as does the bathroom. The bathroom is much smaller so I think dh and I are going to buy the stuff at Home Depot tomorrow and try to do it ourselves. Then if we do okay we'll try the kitchen. I had set aside $100 for Home Depot thinking flowers and a couple new trees but then dh mentioned the kitchen and bathroom floors and he's right that should come first.

Sueanne, I recall your dh taking some flowers back last year that died, was that Home Depot or Lowe's? We bought 2 fruit trees (plum and pear) at a local hardware store last year and both are doing wonderfully this spring. Then we bought 2 maple trees last May from Home Depot, one a shade and one a flowering. The flowering one is making it but struggling and the shade one seems to be dead. Dh planted them so we'll be digging up the dead one and taking it back for replacement, I kept the receipt just in case since they have tags around them saying 1 year warranty.

Jean, about those Glad steamer bags, I was reading on another site where a lady just buys the generic frozen veggies and pokes holes in the plastic bag they come in and cooks in the microwave. She was very happy with the way they came out.

Frugal this week was using the clothesline for 2 loads of laundry on Tuesday. It's also very windy here today so if I were to do laundry today I'd have to watch for flying clothes like Connie was this week. Also frugal is having leftovers twice this week. On Tuesday night dh had a union meeting and he had to supply the pizza, breadsticks and hot wings (which he was reimbursed for) then there was leftovers so he got to bring them home so we had those last night. I made a pork roast Wed. night and there were leftovers so that's dinner tonight. I'm trying to justify going out tomorrow night LOL.
Jacki
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey all! I've finally made it back after way too long! I'm using the library computer now so I won't be able to spend hours and hours here, lol, but at least I have a vehicle now so I can get here!

Frugal today is staying out of the grocery store to avoid all the Easter impulse buys and using up leftovers for meals for the weekend.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon ladies. I have been and still am cleaning and doing laundry but I wanted to take a break and read and just say hi to everyone.

Frugal today is staying home and having all meals from home. Also, using free samples of lotion, deodorant, toothpaste and tide. I scraped the last of the peanut butter and jelly jar this morning to get out a little from both to go into the new jars. I used the empty jelly jar to put the grease in from where dh fried a rabbit for him and yds yesterday. I just ate the mashed potatoes, peas and cornbread I made because I just don't want to eat rabbit. But I have to admit it did save on meat for supper. Also frugal, is washing one load in cold. I know many of you wash in only cold. My mil does too. I just feel my sheets, towels and underclothes and white socks need hot water. I may be wrong and it may just be something in my mind.

Lisa, I hope you are feeling alright today and that pt is going good. Try not to overdo.

Jacki, I hadn't ever thought about that on the frozen vegetables. I think I may be steaming the vegetables too long in my steamer and that may be why they seem too mushy. I don't know how it is where you live but at our local (which isn't local but the nearest we have) Lowes will take back trees up to a year if they die and give you a full refund. We don't have a Home Depot within a couple of hours of us. Way to go on using up the leftovers. I love it when I can just put something in the microwave and reheat it.

Well the dishes are calling my name. I am very tired but the work is not done so I will check in later.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon, everyone! It has been a busy couple of days. I have not gone into work this week and am really enjoying being at home. I have been able to hang laundry outside three days this week. I'm a little annoyed because I wanted to do it again today, but the weather forecast is for showers all day. So far, nothing but sunshine. It is much cooler today, though, so I'm not sure they would dry anyway. I'll be pulling the drying racks out and hanging everything inside to dry. With all of the rising prices and my hope to quit working, I am looking to save every penny I can.

I'm really looking forward to starting some vegetables from seed in a couple of weeks. The only problem I have is I don't know if we'll be living in this house all summer or somewhere else. I'm planning to try a container garden this year so I can take it with me if we move. I still have a couple of months to figure it out as our last frost danger is the middle of May.

I have much cleaning to do today. We have another open house this Sunday. This week it is going to be a neighborhood open house. All of the houses that are for sale are going to be open at the same time on Sunday. Hopefully, that'll bring a little more traffic through.

I will talk to you all later.

Kathy
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Kathy

Good idea doing container gardening so you can take it with you, be sure to tell the new owners that so they don't expect fresh produce as part of the bargain.

Cau

Wow! $3.99 for coffee?? It's been a long time since I saw those prices here, at least over a year.

Frugal today? Yet another trip to Krogers, sigh! Since we are going out of town this weekend, I did our Sunday trip today. One frugal thing is Meijers has canned orange juice $1.89 Krogers it was something like $2.49. I got a store manager and said "what is this?" you all are advertising lower prices but you are almost a dollar more. He price matched, also on the tomato juice I special ordered. I'm so glad I asked.

I stopped at the thrift store and found 2 pairs of Lee's shorts 99 cents and a pair for $1.99. Also found a pretty button up shirt with appliques on it, it was a little more than I normally would pay but for going out places with dh, $4.99 isn't too bad.

Welcome Back Mrs. Maniac

RobertaD

That's what we do for our business too.

Well better get going I have candles to make and dh will be home soon.

Happy Friday everyone

Anna
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi, MrsManiac! Good to see you back!

Anna, great going on the price match.

Johnnysgirl, good luck on the floor job.

I am wondering if it's safe to microwave frozen vegetables in the bags they are sold in. The plastic might not be safe for use in a microwave

I filled up my gas tank today--OUCH--$2.99 a gallon for a 25-gallon tank

Frugal is using all the leftover green and yellow peppers that I cut up last week in this weekend's sausage & pepper sandwiches. The peppers are still fresh but I think they will be better cooked at this point.

Closed Thread