Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the recipe pam i might have to try it out.

Mish
Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes Sam got the kennel cough vaccine before staying at the kennel, along with his updates on other shots to. He has a phobia about cages, so am sure he spent most of his time barking.

Took some more tylenol and will relax in the recliner for the rest of the afternoon.

Joy
Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You all are bringing back lots of memories for me. I grew up on biscuit bread which mommy called pone bread. Instead of making it into individual biscuits she baked it in a pan all together. Oh, it was so good. Pinto beans which we called soup beans and cornbread and fried potatoes were almost always on the menu. I make gravy with the drippings of bacon or sausage and put flour in it and brown it and then pour milk and a little water in it with salt and pepper. Its very cheap and filling and I think its good.

It has been so warm here today. Its not supposed to last but it has been nice. Dh and I cleaned out the inside of his big very nasty truck. We went out town this evening and I about felt like I was riding a new automobile. Ods cleaned the inside of his car also. Od's girlfriend came up for a visit. We finally got to exchange Christmas gifts with her.

Hope everyone is feeling better today. I haven't done anything frugal but I have had a nice day just being outside. It also felt so good to sit on the porch and pet my fur baby. I hope your dog gets better Connie. Our pets are so special to us.

Barb, way to go on such a great savings. You did so good.

Well everyone have a good evening and take care.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jean, that's Southern cooking and what I grew up on. It's all comfort food to me. And frying chicken in a cast iron skillet, oh yes. I finally have a good cast iron skillet, love it!

Mish, mmm, cubed potatoes, fried diced potatoes, girls can you tell I'm hungry? I'm staying at work till 5:30. I need to make up some time. The kids notoriously make me late for work. My employer doesn't say anything, I get pd hourly but this is also to make the girls think twice about dawdling.

I'll check in later on. Watch out Jamie, and Jean later, we just had a doozy of a storm, it's headed your way!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Johnnysgirl, the Wise Bread blog had a good article on leftovers. I can't remember all of it, but some of it was about planning to make the initial use the blandest, then adding spices and ingredients to subsequent servings when you pack it for lunch or reheat it. There's a lot of good frugal stuff on that site. I spent two weeks looking through it last month. pw
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member

It's been a couple days since I saw everyone last, and I have really missed you all. I worked backwards with what I read so I hope it's not too out of date...

Greek yogurt – connie, our grocery store just started selling it and I have some coupons for it. How do you make it?
Dunkin donuts – 3 free coupons for hot choc, coffee and latte, yes, those newspaper inserts were really great, this is the one I got most excited about.
Gas is 3.19 here, same price as in Philly not 20 cents cheaper like usual.
Those fiskar types at wm for 2 last forever, bought 10 pairs for my daughter's 16th, that was 4 years ago and only one pair left to use, they just walk off everywhere, but I am sure they are still sharp at wherever house they may be.
Laundry being done by dd1 home from college, very nice. Even folded them.
My hair is short now, the cut and blow dry is $18 but the conversation is priceless. Have been going to her for 19 years now. And our kids, while not in the same groups of friends, it has been fun exchanging growing up stories.
Strep throat is going around our office
Freeze the milk if you haven’t used it up yet- I like how you said the porch fridge, we have 2 half gallons of juice inour garage fridge and it has been 65F today oh no-might be freezing them tonight.
WE are Paying 15 extra dollars a month on insurance should give us a free month next December.
Congrats norma on getting your unemployment, what a relief and you sure earned it

I shopped for my car on the fact that it had to have heated seats! It helps my hips not hurt so much. Wouldn't have felt that way 5 years ago though.

Packed a lunch again and that helps too – it’s national oatmeal month and so I made a batch of breakfast oatmeal in the crockpot, enough for 4 days worth! So I packaged it in glass bowls with lids and warm one in the microwave each morning and then pour some milk on top, go to the car, by the time I get to work the oatmeal is just warm and not burning hot and I have a hot breakfast while I wait for my email to pop up.

My key to good biscuits is just barely toss the ingredients together and use a fork. It works about half the time – always when I am in a rush and never when I have time to fuss! I learned to make them from The Little House on the Prairie cookbook.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ok well now it is offical.My middle dd just got sick.So it looks like i will be home tommorrow.Good thing i went and got the prescrption today.Not sure if i will be able to make it to my class which starts up on Thursday.I think my middle would be ok if i went to it and i know my oldest would be ok.Now i am not sure if taking a class was a good idea or not.Now just trying to decide if i should go to the pta meeting.Well i should go as the youngest needs a bath.

Mish
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen,Glad you could make it in here.What is the name of the Little House cookbook?I might have to put in for a request for it.Good job on bringing your lunch to work.It all adds up believe it or not.Gas has gone down abit to about 2.90 around here.Now i just wish it would keep going down.Hey i can dream right??

Mish
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hmmm, I'm such a Yankee I don't know if I can handle that gravy. And even though I live just outside Philly, I'm not a scrapple fan either I much prefer corned beef hash.

Now the biscuits....I will definitely try that. And I have a good recipe for chicken & dumplings (kind of like the Cracker Barrel ones). Might have to make that soon.

Ellen, my "porch fridge" is a fridge I bought when I was living in an apartment. When we moved to our first house, a larger refrigerator came with the house, so we put the smaller one in the garage. This house has an attached garage but no door between the house and garage, so we put the fridge in our enclosed back porch. That's where I keep the extra milk, eggs, butter and other beverages. My neighbor periodically "borrows" freezer space in it Right now there's a honey baked ham that she got for Christmas.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Assistant Moderator

Greek yogurt is a thick, tangy yogurt. It reminds of what yogurt used to be back in the 70s. I added vanilla creame stevia to it.
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 quart of full fat sheep or cow's milk (pasteurized)
  • 2 tablespoons of previously homemade yogurt or plain unflavored yogurt at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons of full fat milk (same type) at room temperature
PREPARATION:
  1. Heat the milk just to the boiling point and pour into a non-metal container.
  2. Let cool to lukewarm (100-105F). A skin will form on top.
  3. Mix the 2 tablespoons of yogurt (homemade or commercial) with 2 tablespoons of milk.
  4. Add to the lukewarm mixture, carefully pouring down the side so that any skin that may have formed on top is not disturbed.
  5. Cover with a clean dishtowel and place on another towel in a warm, dry place for at least 8 hours (or overnight) until it thickens.
    • Note: 8 to 12 hours is best.
      The longer the yogurt coagulates beyond that time, the more sour the taste becomes.
  6. Carefully drain any excess liquid.
  7. Refrigerate for 4 hours before using.
  8. Store in the refrigerator and use within 4-5 days.
  9. Don't forget to save a small amount to make the next batch!
The yogurt can be eaten as is, along with the creamy skin on top.
To make the thick yogurt used in many Greek recipes, follow these directions after step 6.
Try thick Greek yogurt with:

Closed Thread