Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am going to sound like my newspaper, miss a day miss a lot!

Welcome teatime and Jackie!

Yesterday we went to my brothers and had our Pork and Kraut!

Frugal, once again dh fixed our micro but who knows if it will last as this is the 3rd time in a week he has done.lol

We need to go shopping but apart of me would like to wait until the weekend as according to "coupon mom site" there shall be a bonanza of coupons this weekend. Checking the pantry for anything I can find to make a meal out of.lol

We got a decent amount of snow today so since dh is on vacation we decided to take the boys to the small sledding hill here in our city. They both got big Snow boards for christmas that they want to use. Its free so that will be frugal.

Other than that nothing much going on here!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good morning all!!

To those of you in snow country, all I can say is I wish I was there. It is cold here today...at least cold for Texas. Only 22 when I got up. But no snow

Anyway, today my kids and I are going to start taking down the Christmas decorations. We will start with the tree, packing away all those neat and funky ornaments that my kids have made over the years. Then onto the snow scene and manager scene. If we have time, we will take down the lights too.

I have just taken on a new adventure....an illness this last summer caused a 4 month absense from my job as a massage therapist at a local spa. After a great deal of thought and prayer, I have decided to leap off the bridge....I rented a room at another spa and am going to build my own business!!! I haven't been in business for myself since the late 90's. I am decorating my room...so if anyone has any ideas of where to find good bargins on furniture, pictures, floral arrangements, etc...let me know. I already check out the thrift stores frequently, but often find that their prices aren't all that good. Sometimes you can buy new for what they are charging for the used!!!!!

The casserole I made last night from the leftovers in the frig was a huge hit!! I just love crock pots.

These next few days are getting reorganized for the new year. We start up school again next Monday(homeschool), so I will be "knee-deep" into lesson plans by the end of the week.

To all those going back to work after a holiday break....hang in there. Before long Christmas 2008 will be upon us!!!

Must run for now...I have kids up and looking for their breakfast.

Will check in later

Take time to enjoy quiet moments
teatime
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

teatime.I think it is great you will be starting your own business up and i wish you good luck with that.I know you said you have checked the thrift stores have you included good will in that too??Sounds like you are staying pretty busy.
Norma,Wow sounds like you are doing pretty good with the job search.I am sure the right job is out there for you.
Frugal for me?The kids got on the bus just fine and now are in school.It is pretty cold outside so i am trying to warm up.Today i will stay home and try to get some stuff done before the kids are home again.

Mish
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mish

I don't have a goodwill nearby, just a Salvation Army and a YWCA. But will find out where the closest Goodwill is and check it out. I am being persuaded, by my oldest daughter (also a massage therapist) to go to the "local" IKEA (about 80 miles from here!!) Does anyone have any experience with that store? I have never been there. Do they carry "better than Wal-Mart" quality? I am hesistant to drive so far if the quality is the same as Wal-Mart.

One frugal idea that I had (something I am sure ya'll do all the time) is that I keep my washer and dryer really clean...inside and out. I wipe out the lint trap area about once a month...I use one of the spongy balls on a stick things (usually yellow...get for a buck at the local dollar store), wash the lint trap with hot soapy water once every other month, and clean all the dirt off my washer (lid, top, and just at the top of the basket) about twice a month (the washer seems to attrack the dirt more than the dryer does.) I use an old toothbrush, that sits on the top of my dryer, to get into the tight spots. I know this may seem to be a lot of work, but once I timed myself, and found that it only took me about 10 minutes. I guess not being financially able to just go out and buy replacement machines ( and considering that I do about 8 loads of laundry per day) I felt compeled to keep the ones I have in good shape. Sometimes the most frugal thing we can do is just take care of what we have.

Well, off to start another load....wish the pipes to the kitchen sink would unthaw!!!! Would love to get the breakfast dishes washed up!!!

Still missing the snow.....
teatime
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the get well wishes for my DH! He went to work today, but I jump every time the phone rings thinking he needs a ride home... especially since he's not following doctor's orders about after care.

Lisa, I'm sorry about your friends loss.

We'll be mostly eating from the freezer this month, ours needs a defrost, too.

I got hornswoggled at Kroger yesterday. I filled some prescriptions there because I had a coupon for $20 in free groceries for each one. I thought it was their usual gift card offer, and no where on the coupon did it say that they would load the offer on my store card and I could take $20 off a $50 purchase for each prescription. That did not make me happy. Next time I will call for details and not trust Kroger again. I don't shop there much because their prices are significantly higher in this area.

While DH was in the hospital I got him a book called Getting Things Done by David Allen that I heard about from the Simple Dollar blog. It's written for business people, but I'm going to use his system for keeping all my projects running, because it's simple, efficient, not repetitive and it makes sense! I don't make resolutions, but I think I'll get a lot more done this year!

Happy new year! pw
Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Good mornng again all!!

Ellen, I am sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I just forgot to get this list out for you - and for anyone else who has extra, expired coupons, and would like to send them to military families who can use them up to 6 months after the expiration date.

Debbie Backhaus
CMR 411, Box 186
APO AE 09112

Kathie Herin
PSC 480 Box 58
FPO AP 96370-9998

Tiffany Valencia
CMR 414 Box 854
SPO AE 09173

Sara Brian
PSC 80 Box 14542
APO-AP 96367

Tilly Adams
USAG Bamberg
Unit 27535 Box 33032
APO AE 09139

Of course, if you want to pm vjumpstart for her address, I am sure she would be happy to receive your expired coupons also.

I rotate envies to these 5 ladies.

We have more and more people who are joinng the military every year, and they sure can use all the support we can give them. This is just one way to show support.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ladies, it's 11 F here in So. IL, yes, eleven degrees!!!! It was 6 F this morning when I woke up!

Frugal today, hmmm, making supper at home from what we have in the house. Dd1 will be at the funeral home most of the evening at the wake, but it's just up the road from our house. I don't plan on doing much more than driving home and staying warm!

Teatime, well hooray for you! Check out freecycle.org in your area, you never know what people are just getting rid of! I've been fortunate to find so many different items that way.

Alright, back to work for me. Keep warm ya'll!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Assistant Moderator

Teatime, I am a massage therapist too. I also hs my two kids. Good luck in building your own business!!
It is 13 here without the windchill. Brrr.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bluebird:

If you have any ideas for marketing massage, feel free to contact me [email address removed by moderator. Please don't post your email addresses on the boards. It's to ensure your own privacy! You can exchange those through our Private Message feature. Any questions, contact barbszy]

would love to hear anything you have to share.

lislyn66: will check out freecycle....thanks for the suggestion

off to de-decorate the tree!!!
teatime

Last edited by barbszy; 01-02-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Morning all, It was 1 degree when I woke up, with the wind it was -16. I decided to be really frugal and stay home.

Wlcome Jackie, it is fun here and we always like new blood.

Teatime good idea about taking care of what you have. You should open the case on your computer and use canned air to blow out the dust if you have a desktop. If it gets too dusty you can blow a fan

Norma you are sure to find a job quickly at the rate you are sending out applications.

Closed Thread