Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy New Year my friends!!!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We haven't been too frugal here. I found 1 ounce play dough cans at the after Christmas sale at work 25 for 2.49, 2.24 with my discount, for next years fall festival. Bought all 10. Had to use grocery money, so may have to return them if we can't get reimbursed or DH doesn't feel like eating rice and beans. Things were marked down to 75% off so I need to get next years cards soon!
DS came home for three days but had to be back on duty for Christmas day. It was great to see him!
DD got engaged on Christmas day.
DH has been in the hospital for 4 days with an abscess and a mrsa infection, not frugal there.
Transferred two prescriptions to CVS to get $50 in gift cards, but one of DH's visits to urgent care wiped out those savings! Our doctor was moving his office over the holidays, so we had to go there, and the first time the arrogant doctor wouldn't look where the problem was... so DH did what he said and had to go to another urgent care two days later which sent him to the emergency room.
Used lots of extra gas going back and forth to the hospital, and called of for a time and a half shift to bring him home today. Not frugal at all.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Preacherswife Hope your dh is well quick

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning and Happy New Year to everyone. I hope this year brings lots of joy and good things to each of you.

I have started washing clothes and I got some hb out the the freezer for later. The boys haven't gotten up yet.

Did everyone stay up to ring in the new year? I didn't. I was just too tired.

We are supposed to be getting snow today. Yds is hoping we do so he can be out of school. He is supposed to go back Thursday.

Well the ods just got up so I am off to fix breakfast.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member

I'll come over for rice and beans! After all the cookies and sweet stuff at Christmas, I could use some good grains.

Cook for fun – what will you cook first in your roaster?

I made some good consommé and some bouillion. The consommé came from the roasting chickens, the pan drippings. The bouillion from what I boiled off the bones. As I was transferring the consommé to a sauce pan to make some chicken noodle soup for a neighbor with the flu, the jellied broth shifted and half of it ended up in the sink. I would have scooped it up but there was a mixing bowl in there with some soapy water, oh no, so it was a loss. Anyways, now I know why I made so much chicken and broth. All this talk of flu on FC and now in my neighborhood. I brought the soup over to my neighbor’s house as the lights were still on, so I hope it was good for all of them. The husband thanked me and said he wasn’t sick, just the wife, but he looked very green so now I wonder if the flu bug didn’t try to jump on me too.

Lisa, I also wanted to say I am sorry to hear about the hunting accident. My dh tells me about muzzleloaders that once the ball and powder are in the muzzle, it doesn’t always need powder in the pan to go off, a good flint strike could set it off too. Many times a ball is left in the muzzle and then the gun put back on the mantle and years later taken down and then an accident happens.

My frugal tip today is to consider that every gun is always loaded whether it is a muzzleloader or not. I think most active gun handlers know this rule but many times at holidays, old pieces are taken out or passed on to a relative, so be careful all, please.

This year I think we will leave our tree up until 12th night (isn’t that the sixth of January?). Then we take it out to our deck and set it up next to the bird feeder. Birds will sleep there and have breakfast waiting when they wake in the mornings. It provides cover and since both feeder and tree are outside my kitchen window, it also provides entertainment. I wanted to tell everyone that if they go to the National Wildlife Federation website, they can get all kinds of ideas for creating a Backyard Habitat (with a donation you also get the metal placard and certificate). Anyways, I only joined the one year and will make more donations later but meanwhile, the website gives good tips like this one (what it takes to help support birds in the winter) and also I get address labels and wrapping paper promos from them which are very pretty.

Our only other frugal for the gifts and groceries this year surely weren’t…they were giving away poinsettias at the grocery store and I brought home three pink ones. Even though I like blue for January, I will take them into the office to cheer up my windowsill for a few weeks. I asked around and no one else really wants to bother with them.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy Near Year!

I did manage to stay up, but it was difficult. DS1 was counting NY's New Year as good, so he could go to bed. I said me too, but ended up reading until our Year came in.

I'm off to pull some bacon from the freezer -- got to get these black-eyed peas on.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Frugal today is going to breakfast with some friends and using up a gift certificate we got for xmas.

preachers wife, hope your dh is on the mend.

I stayed up mostly for the doggie since there were fireworks for quite a while.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ellen: I plan on Roasting a chicken today in the roaster, if it's thawed in time. I didn't get it pulled out of the freezer very early yesterday.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, after being off for 11 straight days, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I enjoy being home more and piddling around the house, doting on my family.

Kids will go back to school on Thursday -- they aren't very excited either.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member

I have cooked frozen food before, just needs extra time, and don't stuff it.

My mother was an au pair in college. She said she had a formal company dinner to cook for. She forgot to take the beef roast out to thaw, but put it in the oven anyways. Timed it as usual. It looked and smelled perfect.

Then the host went to carve it...it was still frozen in the middle!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread