Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen,A turkey at 25 cents a pound ?Wow what a deal!!
Jean,So sorry your dd is sick and sorry to hear about the female problems.
Frugal for me?Well today my friend wanted to come with me to do errands.So we went to the bank (for her) we went and voted.Then we went to my bank,had to stop off at kmart for her to take back something.Then we hit goodwill.I found a sweater for maybe one of the girls to wear.I aslo took my cans back.It was only 4.15.Then we were at Jcpennys and she got some stuff and went to lunch.The food was ok but it was buffet.I had to pay 7.83 but it included my drink dessert and everything!!Then we went for her to get her haircut and i got my eyebrows waxed.I aslo picked up the milk and sandwichs bags.We came home and now i am waiting on 2 calls from the community college.As of right now i think i will try to go back to school not sure how.Don't think i will take the middle dd to swim pratice as she seems to have twisted her other ankle.I am just hoping she will be ok.My youngest has been getting up really early.This time change her messed up abit.I need to go.

Mish
Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member

I couldn't find my recipe when I made the jerky so I just winged it LOL. I use Worechestershire Sauce, Liquid Smoke, Brown Sugar, Black Pepper, and dash or two of Tobasco. I use London Broil for the meat which runs $3.99 lb if not on sale.

I bought a Honeysuckle turkey last week on an early bird special and paid $.69 lb. Didn't think it would get much cheaper this year than that but if they are will pick up another one for later.

Since I was making corn bread for the chili I have cooking decided to make a cherry crisp from frozen cherries that I had picked in the spring.

Having the oven on will help warm up the house since it never made it over 41 degrees today.

Roberta
Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma thanks im going to make one for dh this weekend

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Frugal today was eating at home.
Went to the dentinst for a cleaning and got a sample of toothpaste and a new toothbrush. I'm glad because I hate paying for a new one.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ouch , Ouch, Ouch, I can still feel the pain of the final bill ...Finally got the furnace repaired ..$ 340. later. New fan motor, new thermostat. Better work for a few yrs to come now.

Made a small serving of macaroni / cheese for my supper. Had a grilled cheese for my late lunch after coming home from work. Found Velveeta cheese 2# block for $3.99 @ Target, supplied up on t/p and kleenex & Viva paper towel. Now only need some dog food and we will be set for awhile again.

Hope all of you are snug as a bug tonight, it will drop down to the low 20's here.

Joy
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma and Roberta thanks for the recipes!

Roberta do you have actual measurements for the ingredients? I think I would be to try to figure it out.

Worked this AM then went and did some errands. But forgot the dog food so will need to get some when I'm out tomorrow.

Tonight on the news they said heating oil will be going up too along with the price of gasoline. How do they expect us to live.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 PM

LoriMae

Amen on the gas heating charges. Once dh goes back to work, I'll be hooking up my portable electric heater and turning the heat way low. We took out a loan right before he went in the hospital for him to go to the weight loss clinic ( insurance doesn't pay for it) so his checks will be a little smaller for the next 2 years so we will definitely be being a whole lot more frugal. I've promised on my own iniative next year to curtail the crafting ventures and get a grip on buying "new" fragrances and stick with the standards that are solid sellers. I have way too many scents that only one or two candles sold and I have bottles and bottles that I'm stuck with.

Dh is doing o.k. he's still really tired on this new med.. we go to the doctor tommorow and will see about getting it switched to someting else in the beta blocker line that doesn't make him so exhausted. It takes 2 hours after he takes it before he feels able to get up, not good for going back to work.

As you all have seen dh is a big guy. We had a problem in that they want him to weigh himself everyday, our scale doesn't go high enough. The nurse from Anthem Insurance called today to see how dh was doing, he told her the problem and she gave a totally cool solution. She said get a second scale and put one foot on each and add the weights together!! We never thought of that nor any of the hospital staff. We looked online for the special high weight scales, the cheapest was $50.00 and high end $100.00 that is alot of money when you don't have it to spare. I hope this tip will help someone on here or someone you know who is going through a similiar problem.

I almost got bye with spending no money today till the mall called this afternoon saying they had 2 customers come in today looking for my Christmas Mulberry candles. I was out of stock on that oil so had to call and have it delivered. Cheaper than going out there with gas at $3.09 a gallon and my weakness for buying more than I went in. Tonight I made up Mistletoe Kisses candles using recycled candle jars.

Butterby

Welcome to our frugal thread... I love Ramen noodles, I use them with out the seasoning packet as that is where the sodium is at.

We made our salsa today and dh had it over multigrain noodles for dinner tonight. I made chicken thigh and leg for lunch today, it had way too much fat in it for my body it made me sick to my stomach. Dh didn't have any problems but this is not something I'll buy again... he's supposed to be low fat. I have been loosing alot of weight the past couple weeks, 10 lbs. so far and now my jeans won't fit, too big. Grr!! I finally am able to wear jeans whenever I want and they don't fit. Will just have to keep tugging them up till we get financially stable again or I can get them at the thrift store cheap.

Tommorows frugal will be making my chicken veggie soup with the new recipe for cream of chicken, so simple. I've also been looking in my old 60's Joy of Cooking cookbook for other soup from scratch recipes and found a from scratch pudding mix that I want to try.

Anna
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Nine Year Member

Anna, my mom used to make all her pudding from scratch and it is delicious, takes some stirring but it is so lovely to be over the pot and smell that pudding cooking.

My fil had a med that made him fall asleep so they adjusted the dosing and he is much livelier now which is good as he is very personable.

On taking in jeans, it doesn't look great but who tucks in their shirt anymore anyways...I used my sewing machine and a jeans needle and stitched two back darts between the belt loops, one on each side of the center seam, right through the waistband and about 3-4 inches down, I think the pockets stopped me from going further. Seemed to help. Seamed to help? lol!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 11-06-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Nine Year Member

Anna, what about making up a candle bundle of the ones that aren't moving very well. Maybe an "All Seasons" bundle of a spring, summer, fall, winter type fragrance for holiday gifts?

With the high price of gasoline I've scheduled my deliveries in one morning this week before parent teacher conferances. And other deliveries around picking up dd1 at school yesterday and today.

I've made darts in the back of pants before and even taken in the legs when they were of a baggier style.

Roberta
Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, am home today, woke up with a nasty sinus headache and as I have sick days to use up thought I would. This freezing cold weather, it's finally up to 33 F at 8:30 am, has me all stopped up and achy, unless it's a cold, either way I didn't want to be anywhere but home.

I have put the heat down to 66 F and have a sweatshirt on w/ my jeans. The only place I'll be going today is to get the girls from school and take the youngest dd to her piano lesson at 5 pm. The only money to be spent today will be the $10 for the piano lesson.

If I come up with anything more frugal later, I'll share.

Jean, how is your son this morning? How are YOU this morning?

Will check in later. Hope you all have a lovely day, keep warm!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Closed Thread