FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What Did You Do Frugal Today (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/)
-   -   What did you do frugal today? - 21 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/21577-what-did-you-do-frugal-today-21-a.html)

Lislyn66 11-05-2007 10:42 AM

Jean, I'm feeling better. It's eased somewhat and barely there. I know it's stress. Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers.

My co-worker wanted to go to Ruby Tuesdays to eat and I told her sorry, broke. She said, so? She paid so free lunch for me. I had the white bean chicken chili, I love that dish, absolutely love it.

I've had the heat on. I can tell a difference with the new windows and siding but still, it gets cold in that house so it's been on. I've been keeping it at 68, may try 67 tonight and see how they/we all do.

I don't have rehearsals tonight but oldest dd does so a trip to Marion is in our cards. I wish she had someone to carpool with but she'll never ask anyone and is mortified if I do. It's okay, it's not that far, 16 miles round trip. Laundry as of last night was caught up. I think while she's at rehearsals I'll work on getting that wallpaper backing off of the back hall walls.

Gotta run, am at work (oh joy) and lots to do.

Hugs to you all.
Lisa :loco:

jjoj 11-05-2007 11:14 AM

Jean, I would be happy to share the recipe--
Mix in a bowl:
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin
1 egg

Add and combine:
1 pkg. white (or chocolate) chips
2 cups flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
nuts and raisins (optional)

Chill for 1 hour drop by spoonful on well greased cookie sheet and bake at 350* for 12 minutes.
Enjoy! And, oh, yes, it makes 5 dozen. :-)

cau 11-05-2007 11:20 AM

We cleaned out the big freezer today. I was to sick to go to the pool, it is just a rotten cold but no need to infect everyone else. I found some stawberries and rasberries frozen into a block way in back. So I made a mixed berry pie and bread. Sure make the house smell good. It is turning cold as we speak so the heat will have to go on this night. I have even more meat than I thought so it will help with the holiday spending .

boggsZ 11-05-2007 12:21 PM

jjoj that cookie recipe sounds really good i wonder if i can make them for dh his diabetic i know i can use splenda but i wonder about the butter

jeandeanette 11-05-2007 02:15 PM

Jamie, thanks so much for posting the recipe. I may try to make them around Thanksgiving.

My ds came home from school sick this evening with a low-grade temperature. I hope it doesn't get real high tonight. His best friend has strep throat and I just hope my ds doesn't have it too. I fixed him some chicken noodle soup, played a basketball video game with him and now he is resting and I am cooking supper. I hate when my kids are sick.

Lislyn66 11-05-2007 02:35 PM

Jean, I know what you mean, I'd much rather be sick than one of my kids. I'll say a little prayer for him, that he feels better in the morning.

The internet at work was down more than it was up today, talk about frustrating!

I'm about out the door to take oldest dd to her rehearsal. Will come home, make supper, help girls with homework and I'm thinking about after I get oldest dd back home, taking a nice, hot bubble bath.

Hugs all around!
Lisa :trampolin

jjoj 11-05-2007 02:59 PM

Karen, I think the Splenda would work great. That is an excellent idea! I wish I'd thought of it myself. I am not sure about the butter. Maybe you could cut down on it and add more pumpkin? I can't think why not. I guess you'd have to play around with it a bit.
Jean, oh, no, I'm so sorry that your ds is sick. It is good that he has the day off tomorrow and can take it easy. I hope he feels better quickly.:heart:
Lisa, sounds like a very good plan.:)
Cau, your pie sounds soo yummy!

crochet2 11-06-2007 01:54 AM

Good morning all!!

Flutterby84, welcome to our group. Hope you post often. Your soup sounds good, but has way too much salt for me.

Anna, glad your dh is better. He is just bored now, that's one reason he wants to have the truck washed. Try to get him to start a clock, or something else around the house to keep him busy. I am glad you did well at the show. It must have been worrying to you though having David just out of the hospital.
Hang in there though, you will work out the bills, and get back on track.

Karen, you could replace part of the butter with applesauce, or a jar of baby pureed carrots, or a jar of baby pureed prunes. It depends on what color you want your end product to be.

I invited my sister, nephew and his gf for waffles last night. My sister wanted hot chocolate to go with that, and I didn't have enough milk, so she treated us all to dunkin' donuts hot cocoa. Boy was that a nice addition to dinner.

My nephew also helped me lock one of the windows that I was unable to fully push together. That should help with the heating too. I keep the house at 60* when I am not at home and at night, and up to 70* in the mornings before I get dressed for the day. If I am at home, and the sun is shining, it starts creeping down.

Frugal was NOT having to change the furnace filter on 11/1 because October was so warm. I think I let the heat come on in the morning maybe 3 times.

My co-worker was out yesterday with vertigo. She thinks it is from an old problem with her one ear that keeps getting clogged from her sinus'. Hopefully she will be back today, because I am supposed to leave early to get my flu shot. My bad boss has something. He was trying to tell me first sinus, and then maybe yelling at the Colts football game. It is in his chest, he's telling the wrong one. I tried to get him to put stuff on the memory stick, and go home and write a brief. Works for me.

Rachel Ray gives "tips" on the morning show I watch this time of the morning. She just gave my tip about cutting lemons and freezing them so they don't go bad. She also said to divide up tomato and adobe sauce with chipolte peppers into table spoon amount, freezing them, and then they are ready to go in an exact amount.

I do this with sweet potatoes too. I will buy a 5 lb. box wehn they go on sale (usually $1.99 here). I will then nuke them all, in their shells, and then scoop out the insides, measuring it into 2 cup portions for bf and myself for a quick side dish. Or, it is the right size to do a sweet potato pie.

Well ladies, I have rambled on here long enough.

Take care all!! Norma

boggsZ 11-06-2007 02:22 AM

norma can you give me a recipe for sweet potato pie my stepson brought us a big box and the orange ones

frugal today is staying home once again gas is 3.15 so dont want to waste what i got I did print off a coupon for the new Glade flamless candle for buy one get one free you can go to gladeoffer.com and get one if you want there is also a 2$off for the refill that prints also

barbszy 11-06-2007 03:07 AM

Norma, that is a GREAT idea with the sweet potatoes. I'm sure they'll be going on sale soon. I'll definitely be trying that, since I love them--and they're so good for you :) It will be good for a quick lunch for me.

Leasmom, I hope your heater is fixed so it works properly.

I will be doing something today I haven't done in a LONG time--food shopping with Luke. He has no school, and DD slept over at a friend's house last night. I have a few things to buy today--partly I want to make 2 trips this week so I can double up on the great "with coupon" savings from a grand opening sale. He has already made me promise to get him a donut. I like to shop alone, but I will admit that I have missed taking him to the store with me :lol: