Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna: I知 so glad to hear you DH is doing better. I知 sure you will take such good care of him when you get him home.

Ellen: That痴 awesome about the credit cards, not so awesome that you DDs roommate is snarfing her food! She might need her own fridge that locks.

Barb: You can稚 beat that price for shampoo!

I知 not sure I could eat ox-tail anything. I think it would freak me out a little I知 a little weird like that.

Frugal: My boss bought breakfast this morning for our breakfast meeting. She usually does, so no oatmeal for me I had a waffle! I brought my lunch and will eat it between a couple meetings this afternoon. I just need to run to WM on my lunch hour and pick up some candy.

We are having a Halloween Food Day at work tomorrow, with a Mexican/Spooky Food theme. I知 bringing Chili and 泥ay-old Bath Water recipe from here on FC.

Well, I知 off to WM for a couple things. Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa,You are luckily to have someone who seems to be so good to you.
Frugal for me?I went to town to get my gas and my 2 other things that we needed.Went to goodwill and found a pair of pants for the youngest.I have a small stain that i am going to attack in a few minutes here.I do have the cupcakes all done up i put peeps on the top of them.I will be back on later on.

Mish
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!
Thanks for the explanation on the oxtails! Maybe I have seen them before and not realized it. Ew, on the chicken feet! My grandpa used to love pig's feet (yuck) but he lived on a farm during the depression and ate all kinds of very odd things to get by.
Thanks for the update, Anna. That is cheering to hear that your dh is doing better. Hopefully, he will be home soon and you can both have a sense of normalcy again.
Excellent work Ellen, on paying off those cards. And you too, Kathy for working on getting there. You can do it.
Frugal for today is that we finally got our money back from the internet service. It was a 150.00. We have been keeping a very close eye on our bank account since that little incident. Made some cinnamon rolls this morning for breakfasts-since the granola is nearly finished. Other than that, just keeping the heat off and the blinds open for extra warmth from the sun. It is cool at nights and in the mornings, but the afternoons provide enough sun and warmth for now that we can get away with not using the heat.
Take care ladies, and I hope all of you have a very lovely day!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Mish, he's a keeper, that's for sure. My washing machine wasn't agitating right and he took it apart, found the problem, has figured out how to fix it and will this weekend. I was ragging about my oldest dd doing something to the vacuum but I thought it was the belt and he says, want me to fix it? I said it's okay honey, I know how to change out the belt on a vacuum cleaner. He seems to forget that I've done all of this myself for a long time, but I love the fact he wants to fix things for me.

Went to McDonalds at lunch and finally used my free game pieces, a free small diet and a free quarter pounder w/ cheese, yeah, why the diet when I'm eating the QPC? I just like the taste of the diet! LOL!!!

Tonight is eat out of the fridge. We have play rehearsal so it's mad dash time tonight.

Must get back to work. Talk to you all soon.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to go pick up yds to take to pt as soon as dh gets back with the truck.

Frugal is just staying home a lot, cooking a lot and using free samples and recycling water.

Chris, your shopping trip sounded like a lot of fun. I love the pretty fall days too.

Anna, hope your dh is still on the road to recovery. I hope you can get some rest too. Isn't it this weekend coming up that you have your show? I hope you will still be able to do it.

Ellen, congrats on getting your cc paid off. I love the feeling of getting any kind of bill pay off. Its like a weight being lifted off of me because I hate being in debt. I have had a similar problem about food and my ods at college. He said one of the guys that lived on his dorm floor last year would just come into his room and start eating his personal food. I don't want to be selfish but to me thats just not right. We were having a hard enough time trying to keep the food for our own ds. I told ods he should tell that guy that he didn't have the money to replace the food and not to eat his food. I'm sure my ds didn't say anything but I have tried to teach my kids better manners than that. If someone offers you something and you are friends and share that is fine but taking it without being offered is rude.

Jamie, the cinnamon rolls sound good. I noticed a comerical on tv today that was talking about cinnamon twists. That must be something new because I don't ever remember seeing them.

Pam, that was nice of your boss to give you a free breakfast.

I am out of or nearly out of a lot of items. I have some lists going and hope to be able to shop Friday.

Mish, you are getting very good at finding good deals for your family at the Goodwill. You dh should be very proud of you. Your cupcakes sound good.

Well, I will talk to you all later. Have a great evening.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been using the free samples for color treated hair for the past 10 days or so. Instead of messing with the foil tubes I squeazed the shampoo & conditioners into a trial size bottle and shook them up real well to make my own 2n1 bottle. I do keep the 'treatment' conditioners seperate to use 2-3 times a week depending on my hair.

My bottle of 2n1 Suave is about empty so time to mix up the V05 shampoo & conditioner that I got for less than $.30 each. Will mix 2 parts shampoo to 1 part conditioner leaving 1/2 a bottle of conditioner to use when needed.

Rolling cigs for DH is an endless thing LOL but he can smoke for a month on what one carton would cost. I think rolling cigs is the biggest money saver thing that I do $12 for a carton vs $36-50 pre-rolled name brand.

Roberta
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jeandeanette, they do have cinnamon twists in a can now. I thought they were the same as the rolls, just a different shape, but Big DS insists they taste different.

I got my shampoo and mailed away for the rebate right away. And I've been busy today cleaning out the coat closet in the family room. I used 2 milk crates that I emptied out last week, as "garages" for Luke's toy trucks that he keeps in there. Also, I used a plastic basket to put a couple of pairs of gloves for each family member at the bottom of the closet. In the mornings, we're needing those already! I tried on all my jackets, put a few things in the give-away box, and left a couple of things for the Big Kids to try on before I put them back.

I'm glad I got everything done early because a little while ago Aunt Flo's friend Crampy arrived....now I can sit here and relax a bit.

Lisa, it's nice that your boyfriend wants to fix stuff for you. Some people are demonstrative through doing nice things for people. Sounds like he is one of them. I'm sure he doesn't mean to imply that you can't fix anything. He just wants to do something nice for you & save you some work.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, Oh, I know, I don't take offense, it simply amuses me. He doesn't do flowers, etc, he shows how he cares by making sure my car is in top condition, keeping the oil changed, putting on the new brakes. I'll take someone who shows they care that way as opposed to those that think some flowers given are enough and then are jerks the rest of the time. He's a great guy and I'm lucky to have him.

Roberta, I've done that, put the saved samples in one bottle once I get enough! I also bought a large bottle of bubble bath at the Family Dollar and have been using that as hand soap in the bathrooms and kitchen hand pumps. I'm actually about out, need to re-stock.

Mom's going to keep the younger girls tonight, already has made cake for them for dessert. Oldest dd and I have to book it to get to rehearsal on time, they're tearing up the roads in Marion and we have to detour.

Have a great evening everyone. You're all doing so great on your frugalness!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

First day at work, all went well, needed some gloves so stopped in at the office ( work) , while there they offered me another client. So will have my 20 hours work week am happy about that.

My df is improving from surgery, but will have to go home, recoup and then return for more surgery.

Stopped in at another df house yesterday, brought her some magazines. She is going thru extensive chemo . It is really taking a toll on her.

Next time I go shopping , will stock up on some Banquet dinners, when I get home am hungry , but too tired/lazy to make a meal.

Sounds like you gals are really attacking your budgets and credit cards, I intend to pay off my Sears card this week, am wanting to find out if when it's paid off if they still charge as service charge each mo?

I haven't had oxtail soup for a long time, but yrs ago made it quite often for my family, my dm would use chicken feet for a meal using rice /carrots etc for a nummy meal. I also love pickled pigs feet , spam and potted meat. Hope I am not grossing anyone out .

Have a good evening.
Joy
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Nine Year Member

I use dish soap for handcleaner, it is frugal sure, but it also smells so nice and is so pretty in clear colors.

I went to the grocery on Sunday am to pick up an Inquirer for the coupons, they have more dairy ones than our local paper. I am glad I was not quite awake--as I stood there looking at the papers I saw one of the racks had a $5 off sticker at my favorite grocery store if you buy $40 or more of groceries. I bought two of those papers! It was a Harrisburg paper. And yes, it had the same dairy coupons as in the Inquirer. So let's see, for $7.57 that I spent on a gallon of milk and two papers, I will get $10 back...not bad at all, as well as all the other coupons.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread