Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member

I know the goodwill's in my area all received a huge shipment of pastel colored scrubs this summer. I told all of my customers in the medical field about them when I saw them there.

Frugal today is staying home and catching up on some missed sleep, doing laundry back to back, rolling cigs for DH, brewing tea, and going through the accumulation of coupons before passing them on.

Roberta
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Special wishes to those who have birthdays, I don't seem to keep on top of that like I should, but my intentions are good.

A huge magpie just landed on my outdoor table where I have a tray of left over bird seed from my parakeets bottom tray, and also where I crumble up dried bread. So he is having a feast this morning.

My df which had the long surgery yesterday is doing fairly well, today will be extensive testing, then on fri. will have another long surgery day. Talked with her dh this a.m. he said to keep praying.

Frugal : doing a large load of dark clothes in cold water. Will be making some salmon patties along with mashed potatoes for my meal today. Also will be making some potato dumplings , then freezing them for later use with pork.

May the guy who attacked his wife, causing the lose of the baby, that he doesn't see daylight for a long long time. The Lords comforting hands around the women.

Were going to be in a cold spell for about 5 days, mainly it will be our early morning temps that are to be in the 27-29 range. Hopefully each day the sun comes out and warms things up .

Enjoy reading all the posts, am off to read my paper . Toodle doo

Joy
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Frugal today so far...
picked up 4 puzzles and some phonics flash cards for Maddie thru a freecycle. What we won't use will be posted on freecycle to pass along.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mish, a very Big Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Pam, you are blessed to have a husband that cares so much. I'm happy for you. Never take it for granted because not all of us have a relationship that is loving and good.

Lisa, hugs to you sweetie. I hope you feel better soon.

Connie, I hope everything goes as good as possible for you and your family today. Just keep praying because I have seen prayers answered that I prayed about many years.

Norma, I hope your co-worker will be okay. That is so very sad. A good friend is what you are being and just what she needs.

I have made the beds, unloaded and reloaded dishwasher and I am starting on the laundry. I haven't done much all week. I need to snap out of this lazy spell.

Joy, I'm glad your df made it thru the first surgery and I hope the second one goes good. Thats a hard situation for sure.

Well I will check in later. Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Joy, will keep praying for your good friend.

Jean, you are far from lazy. You do more in a day than I get done in a week most of the time!

Frugal finds, 1st stop was the discount bread store, bought 4 loaves of wheat bread for $1.00 total, a package of french bread rolls for $0.50, 4 boxes of snack cakes for $2.00. So not bad at all!! 2nd stop was Aldi, spent $35 there. Next stop was WalMart, they had pumpkins picked up 5 at $2.98 a pumpkin and they also had Betty Crocker cake mixes for $0.82 a box so got 2 devils food. 3rd stop was this little re-sale shop that is going out of business. I bought a pair of jeans, 2 tops for me, 2 tops for my 11 yr dd (who is growing faster than weeds) and a dress for $21, last stop was Dollar General where I spent $21 and got litter, cat food, a candle, a container of Tide, 2 boxes of cereal and Kool Aide and Diet Pepsi. So not a bad day, not at all. Now I've got it all in the house and will put it away, will start supper and have my house picked up before the kids get home from school.

Hope you all have a great afternoon!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

All right, ladies, you are all GENIUSES! I went to Goodwill and I found a scrub top in JUST the right color that Big DS needed, in JUST the right size and at JUST the right price--$4! He is going as "Dr. Pepper" so wanted a maroon scrub top. He has Dr. Pepper pajama pants so he will wear those.

While I was there I also got a black jacket for DD to wear for her Willy Wonka costume. It's just a basic dressy, woman's jacket. When she's done, it will fit me and I can use it for church. Also $4.

So between the 2 items at Goodwill and 1 hat at Walmart, I have spent $15 for the Halloween costumes this year! Luke has a free costume from our neighbor.

Of course I had to browse Goodwill and found 3 sweaters for me, 1 brand new hoodie sweatshirt for me (pink, says Lehigh Lacrosse on it but so nice and new and soft) and a pair of jeans as well.

Next time I will make sure I have a shoulder bag, not a handbag. It really hampered my ability to shop quickly since it kept getting in the way.

Thanks again; I would never have thought to look for scrubs at Goodwill.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

lislynn, it wouldn't hurt to put out some resumes, would it? I hate to hear about a good hard worker being disrespected like that!

My family has been very unfrugal. DH's boss bought a company franchise out of state and has him out there all week to try to talk him into moving there. He booked him into a $250 a night hotel, which he will be reimbursed for, but I can't pay the bills until that happens (we don't use credit cards, so the $1250 had to be in checking) and they are already overdue. I guess people who grow up rich don't understand cash flow. Anyway, I'm NOT moving any farther from my parents. They are very frail and one of them is beginning to get really confused, so they need me close by.

DD is behind on her student loan, which she misunderstood to be due after she graduated, so her credit is already bad. She (stupidly, IMHO) moved into her own apartment and is having trouble staying in school and making ends meet. DS is in the military, getting out in 6 months and just bought a brand new SUV on credit. I thought I taught him better than that! We always buy used for cash, no payments and lower insurance. Oh well. They learned SOME of the things I tried to teach them!

At least I got 5 prescriptions with coupons for gift cards. So with insurance some of them were free, and some of them I made a profit, plus I got some free crackers with a coupon from VocalPoint. I got some great sounding recipes from the Taste of Home magazines I picked up from a freecycler yesterday, and I picked up an extra shift at work. We haven't had to use the AC or heat much this week. We got our last reimbursment from our tax free flexible health care savings account. Next year we will put in the whole $3000 instead of half. With my kidney disease and his diabetes we'll use it up.

We are considering cancelling our cable. We never had it before, because we got good aerial reception where we used to live. Here we get nothing. But there was recently an article on Clark Howard's web site about the privacy policy of the cable company, how they have permission to sell all of your internet and viewing habits to advertisers, that really upset and disturbed us. We have an internet, tv, and phone package, so it would be inconvenient and an adjustment, but gosh, how presumptious! And how careless of us not to read that whole agreement!

Signing off before I totally depress the whole forum! PW
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Sueanne

Wow, good job on the ravioli maker... if I'd seen one of those I'd not have had a clue what it was for.

Pam

Happy Belated Birthday.

Barbzy

Good job on the Dr. Pepper outfit.

It's been chaos here, dh isn't feeling well at all so we're scheduled for the doctor tommorow, then next week if they don't stick him in the hospital we will be going in for a consultation at the weight loss center I called the other day, we're looking at about $3000.00 in out of pocket expenses, this should cover about 4 months. This is a very radical diet, no eating period. We've done this before in 2002, dh lost about 200 lbs. in less than 6 months. I will loose weight too since we won't be making meals at home. I'll be eating mostly salads with chicken or veggie burgers, money will be saved on the other end by not buying much groceries or any fast food. Bad part is no Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner but I'd much rather have a healthier happy dh than worry about missing a meal.

I have been busy packaging up things for the show, ironing the baby quilts, etc. just hope we'll be able to do it.. I have literally over a thousand dollars worth of product.

Weird request I got today? Dirt scented laundry detergent, LOL! I don't make that but told the lady I could sell her the fo and she could put it in a Downy ball through the rinse cycle. Man, she must love her dh to do that in her laundry room, Ugh!

Anna
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

Sueanne, that looks neat! I have the hand crank pasta maker with the ravioli maker. All I got was a huge mess. The one you bought looks fun to use.
Ellen, I would love a tortilla press.
Ericka, check out www.math.com .
Barb, I wish I would have know you needed a scrub shirt sooner. Our thrift stores always have them.

Thank you all for the hugs, prayers and good thoughts. Ds did not end up in jail. It is on record that his probation was revolked. He has more of a fine to pay. I think maybe he is starting to see the light. Dh was very crabby today. He snapped at me once. I told he enough is enough to knock it off. Peroid. Hopefully dh will calm down now.

I did find some jeans for ds2 at the thrift stores. Also stopped a Pennys, they carry up to size 20. One pair of jeans I bought is cowboy cut. They fit him great. He may be wearing cowboy jeans. I think he is relieved to find jeans that fit him!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, you did good on your shopping today. The bread store sounds like a great place to shop. I wish so much we had something like that around here.

Barb, I'm glad you found what you needed for the Halloween costumes. Mine are too old for that but I have sweet memories of them in their different costumes.

Anna, I hope everything will work out so that your dh can get the help he needs. I'm sure its stressful for you trying to work in your business and worry about him too. Take care of yourself.

Connie, it sounds like things went better than expected for your ds. Just remember what the good book says about bringing up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they won't depart from it. I get comfort from that verse for my own precious son. I'm so proud of my ods and love him so much but I wish I could just protect him from bad choices and bad influences. They may stray away from what we taught them but I am believning someday they will know we were right.

PW, I hope how soon your dh will get reimbursed for his room. That would be a hard thing to be able to do without a credit card. The company should really appreciate what he is doing.

Took yds to therapy this evening. He got in a pretty good workout.

Well I am off to watch my Hokies play football. They are up against Boston which is the number 2 ranked team and will most likely lose but I plan on cheering them on anyway. Have a great night. If you hear someone screaming its me hollering at the tv tonight. My yds gets so upset with me because I get too excited. Just can't help it.

Closed Thread