Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member

Pam you might want to take a picture of your full refrigerator & freezer and if you do lose food do to the power outage make a list of what you have to through out with poundage and price per pound and see if your home owners insurance will cover it. You will want to check out your vcr, tv, computer, answering machines, etc. when the power is restored to see if anything got taken out from the outage as well.

We had to do that several years ago when a "wind sheer" came through town, winds weren't high enough to be called a tornado. Telephone poles snapped when a neighbors tree fell across the alley slamming into our fence, half of a the tree landed on our roof, lost all the food in the freezer, answering machine was fryed. Insurance also paid for the removal of 2 trees because they were more than 50% damaged, we opted to have them removed instead of waiting to see if they would die and paying for it ourselfs later.

Roberta
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Assistant Moderator

Pam, I will see if dh has been asked to help your power company out. I don't know how much ice we have but there is snow on top of the ice. I need to go out and scoop some snow so dh doesn't have to do all of it tonight.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Boy Pam I guess you realy got it bad, hope that you dont have to go with out power to long. Its warmed up here today but is going back down tomorrow catch you girls tomorrow

Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sorry about the back to back I forgot to tell you went to @ stores with sales cupons and SS discount the total bill was 229.and I only spent 136.oo plus I used my fuel links card and so far we have .42 off on gas that we will have more by the 10th of next month thats when we will probly have about .75 off on a gallon, neet I think. Catch you later

Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bunny ,Way to go on the deals at the store and with SS discount and using up coupons.The only discount we get here is if we use a g/c ay wm or if you are a members at sams club.Other than that no real deals for gas.
Pam,.I hope the power company can get your power on alot sooner.These ladys have all given you some really good ideas.Hang in there we are here for you.
Frugal for me today?So far we have lost power a few times,the last time it was for about a 1/2 hour.Not sure if we will lose any more power or not.Today i have made up the bed,vacumed up the house,finished folding clothes from a few days ago,did the dishes and aslo been helping my dh with shoveling all the ice in the driveway.I did take sometime to play a game with the older 2 girls though.But i aslo made them pick up the playroom and had them outside helping out with the shoveling.
Tonight we are using up a hamburger helper that will expire at the end of this month so we are having that.I might try and make some goodies if i can get some time.Have a great night.

Mish
Old 12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pam, count me in, hope you all get power back sooner than they expect. We had a bad t/storm and tornado when I lived up north (Chicago area) and we were w/out power for 2 days. Luckily my freezer was NOT full, actually I needed to shop so it was just about empty, lucky for me.

My frugal for today, ate the lunch I brought yesterday at work, only took a 15 minute lunch break so will have some extra time on my paycheck. I don't plan on going anywhere else tonight unless the b/f and I have to go to Cape Girardeau tonight instead of tomorrow. Just waiting to hear from him.

Right now am going to slip into some comfy jeans and do my dishes and switch yet more laundry around. Never ending, laundry.

Will check in later. Hugs to you all.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Nine Year Member

Cookfor fun- how have you managed cooking without power??!! Oh, and I just read, 7-10 days without power, maybe dry ice? I think in the old days they kept ice frozen by using newspaper and sawdust so maybe that would extend things a bit…is athere a community freezer you could take the things to? Our research farms have them and usually empty this time of year…

I put the salad in the garage because years ago my dh kept a thermometer in there and all winter he would check it, it stayed at 40F and never dropped lower so now it is our second refrigerator, very handy during the holidays. Now if the temps outside go above 50 it isn’t so great but the temps stayed cold enough so the salad was still good. I have to say though, that I was so tired, that I never checked the real refrigerator to see if there was room, just came in through the garage, dumped the lunchbox on the sawhorse and went to my bedroom and to sleep.

So my frugal suggestion could be for us to put a thermometer in various places in our house and see what the temps run and so we will know if we have a good room for making coleslaw or keeping the turkey defrosting etc.

Connie, my hairdresser will put out a basket over the holidays with small things for sale, things for $3 to $12, and I like to buy something local like this. I would buy jewelry, put her pic on it if you want because people would buy especially if it was a kid…???

Crochet2-I dilute juice all the time, seems as I get older that I like things thinner, even milk and soda pop

Seleach, sorry about work being difficult, don’t know why things are this way sometimes, maybe it’s not for you but for someone else watching you work through it…

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Assistant Moderator

Ellen, I will start a blog for dd and her jewerly. I want to start a family blog too. I need to buy a new dvd drive for my computer then I can program my new camera in. I will be so happy when I get all the computer stuff done!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen,You had a good idea about the therometer.
Lisa,Good to know that you and the kids are doing ok.Good job on putting in the extra time.Every bit helps out.
Getting ready to get the kids ready for bed.I think i will wait on making up some cookies.

Mish
Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Good evening all!!

Mish, I am glad you were ok. I don't like to drive in bad weather either. But, in all honesty, I would rather drive on ice, than in a lightning storm.

Ellen, I also added some fat free milk to my egg nog the other day. I wasn't going for less calories, just thinner egg nog.

Pam, I can't think of anything else to add to the suggestions already given. Eat the lunchmeat first, keep the larger frozen items for last, as it will take longer for them to unthaw. Sorry you are going through this at all.

Janet, that is great about the shoes. My gf sometimes is able to get shoes from her brother's 2nd hand store in Phila. They are still new with the tags on, or stickers on. I get excited because she knows my tastes and gets me good stuff.

Bunny that is a great savings at the grocery store. Keep up the good work. Hopefully, you have made your husband a believer now.

My nephew called before I left from work and "invited" himself and his gf to my house for dinner. They wanted waffles, but settled for turkey, green beans, and mac and cheese. He ate her green beans and mac and cheese, and she ate his turkey. But I got even, I had found a great job for him to apply for - security at the local airport. You do not have to have any college, just a diploma or GED, or can pass the background check. It is a federal job, and pays beginning at $28,000+. He has all the ambition of a slug, but I keep pushing him, and so does his father, so hopefully he will get a job one day. His father brought home an application to take the civil service test. He did fill it out. And I made sure to tell him that Pizza Hut is hiring near us.

Well ladies, there are dinner dishes calling my name. I better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread