Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Frugal todayu was picking up a freecycle. A shower curtain, pillow shams, a table cloth and pair of kitchen curtains.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good evening everyone!

I'd like to thank whoever it is up north for sending us this winter weather -- I think it was Kathmac. We are under a winter weather advisory until Monday evening. Brrrrr...

I've cooked all afternoon -- made a big pot of soup, hot rolls and some Russian Tea Cakes. I did a couple loads of laundry back to back and did my errands early this morning, trying to miss some of the Holiday Cart Racers at WM.

I'm getting ready to put on some hot cocoa and my big fluffy robe and read awhile.

Sleep tight everyone!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Good evening all!!

I had a great time last night. The party was for the county education association. The invitation was only if our friend in the nursing home was not able to go. I walked in, gave them my coat, turned around and found the son and dil of the woman whose place I was taking. So I told the man I was his "mother" for the night. We ended up sitting together too.

What a day, what a day!! I took the cat to the vet, after chasing her down. That is over for a year anyway. Yea!!!!

Then after I got home, I heard that my sister was going to visit our friend in the nursing home. So I tagged along. She was in fine spirits. They announced that there would be a dance group for entertainment. Eleanor's sister was also visitng, and it turned out to be the sister's gd's dance group. We had a find time. They were all very good.

Back at home I made dinner (fresh ravioli - tomato and mozarella), and garlic bread while my sister popped into a birthday party for a friend. She joined me for dinner, and is now gone.

I did get a load of laundry done though. Now I only 4 to work on tomorrow.

Ellen, I too am weak when it comes to books. Barnes & Noble, and all of the bookstores are a strong temptation for me. I hope your dd gets both a good roommate this semester, and the ability to know when she needs to speak up and protect herself.

Roberta sounds like you had a great time at the parade.

preacherswife - I have found the same thing. If you buy at a local ethnic market (asian, italian, etc.) the products are cheaper than if you buy them at the grocery store.

Bunny - good for your husband, to stand up for saving money, and not go with the ignorant man just because he was another male. Sorry that you are under the weather. Hope it passes soon.

Well ladies, better go for now. I want to finish the grocery list. I have not been in two weeks.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 12-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member

I just love all of the "catch up" readingI have to do here!

Frugal for me is sticking to my shopping list and cleaning out the freezer. I did very well today when I went grocery shopping.

I made up a menu for the week and sure hope I stick to it.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Nine Year Member

Not frugal was the day after Barnes and Noble visiting the yarn shop, Merry Christmas to me, but I did buy the sale yarn and got some 2/1 wool.

Frugal was finding 5 packs of fresh pasta in the sale bin at the grocery store and freezing them for later for a quick meal.

Also, for dinner I ate my salad from lunch on Friday, had put it in the garage because I was in a hurry after work and then forgot it was there so had it tonight for dinner when gf and I sat and watched movies and knit. She is learning to do cables in her knitting. We are doing hats.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

everyone seems to be doign so good on saving money. whoever said something about a nintendo ds earlier..sorry i cant rember..i got one for my son, wiht a game, 3 cases, a hard case, extra stylus, and a couple chargers for 80.00 on ebay. plus 15 shipping. if thats an idea for you. i also got my dds 26 games new in the boxes for 150.00 that takes care of all thier xmas gifts this year. jerron gets the ds, he gives his flip closed gameboy to the middle, and the middle and youngest share all the games. it all works out..and the whole xmas was under the 300.00 i alloted for it.
so that was good. not good was the furnace going out..that cost me an extra 400.00 its ok hto..i had the cash. just scrambling for money later in the month.

frugal..letting mom balance my checkbook because she can..and i cant..lol. plus borrowing movies and books to rip to my ipod. ive been copying all my good dvds to my ipod for the girls to watch when we are at the drs or on the road.

hope eveyone has a good rest of the weekend..

ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ericka my dd has an ipod but cant figure out how to get videos on it can you email me or IM me and tell me how she puts the music on it using itunes program i think

Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all,

Okay, warning -- the following is a vent! I don't know if some of you will remember, but I was recently struggling with a piece of junk wardrobe that I bought to store out-of-season clothing. I finally gave up and declared that it had bested me. My husband tried to help, and we both decided that this Rubbermaid piece of garbage was not worth our time. The junky plastic fittings were shattering as we inserted the structural poles. Not terribly encouraging that it will stand up holding pounds of clothing. Even if we had gotten it assembled, I thought I'd probably go down there one day to find it all in a heap.

So, I decided to do what my mom always did, let a company know when their product has disappointed you. So, I dashed off an email to Rubbermaid explaining that I was a long-time satisfied customer but had been very disappointed in my latest purchase.

You won't believe the response I got: I got a brusque reply that even though the package said "Rubbermaid" on every side, it really wasn't their product and that I should contact some other company, Moran, who didn't have a website, but here's their telephone number -- goodbye and good riddance, I guess.

Now I'm really steamed! I'm going to print a copy of my email and their response and send it by regular mail to the Rubbermaid President so that he knows how shabbily long-time customers are being treated.

Whew! Thanks for the vent time. I feel better.

Liz
Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Liz, that's an awful way to treat a customer, long time or new!!! I would do precisely what you are planning to do. I hope you get some positive results from sending it to the president of the company!

We got the tree up yesterday, the decorations for the tables out as well, now it looks like Christmas! The girls love to put the ornaments on the tree and I don't have a theme, they are all ornaments from our life, some bought when they were little, some given as gifts, it makes for an old fashioned Christmas tree in my eyes.

I need to get up off of this chair and start my day. It calls for a trip to K-Mart to pick up some saline solution for my dd and am hoping to sneak in a present if I can, piece by piece is how it goes, what I can afford.

Hope you all have a lovely morning, will check in soon!

Hugs,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 AM

Liz

Wow! I can't believe Rubbermaid treated you like that, I'll for sure be keeping that in mind when I make future purchases.

Good Morning Everyone

Not alot frugal to report, in fact I spent alot of money on fragrance oils yesterday Yikes! hope sales continue to be brisk on them as they are all "winter scents". I had the girls at the Mall pick out ones they thought would be good. I went to Hobby Lobby for upholstery thread, Joann's no longer carries it, they have what they call "heavy duty" thread, it bites!! it tangles constantly. I double thread my needles, always have and the upholstery thread does beautifully but not Joann's new replacement threads. Now could I walk out of Hobby Lobby with just my thread? nope! Bought some darling Christmas material children at Christmas in jammies, under the tree, etc. red on white with a little yellow for things like the candles, etc. on sale $4.00 a yard. Too late to make childrens blankets with this year but will have it for next year. It was normally $7.99 a yard.

I was Meijers after that.. OMG!! it was totally crowded in there. While waiting to check out, I took out all the "impulsive" buys and either hung them up close bye or gave the food items that weren't healthy choices to the cashier.

Dh is doing alot better today... yesterday we were a little worried, he felt so tired and his pulse rate was a little over 100. His meds are crazy schedule wise. 6am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm. Then mine twice a day and Windi's 6:30am and 6:30pm. I hope dh's will stay well. I am way past time to get my yearly gyn but every time I am at the time to get it, he's in the hospital, off sick or something else is coming up.

Today's frugal is going to be staying home and cooking at home. Doing laundry right now and trying to pick up around the house, it looks like a national disaster hit it

Bunny

Hope you are feeling better today.

RobertaD

Sure hope your dd is feeling better today.

Take care everyone.

Anna

Closed Thread