Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Nine Year Member

Regarding giving to charities, I read a couple of years ago that of all the charities, the Salvation Army does the best job with their money. I don't think we are being "Grinchy" if we want to be sure our gifts are being used properly. Of course, sometimes there's just no way to really know. What we have done in the past is, if we are accosted and asked for money on the way in to a restaurant, we will decline to give cash, but we will offer to take them in and feed them. That sorts thems out really quickly, whether they are hungry or not.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Assistant Moderator

I started a thread here on carpet shampooers;
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...899#post643899
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Laure,I don't think you are being stingy at all.A person can't be too careful these days when it comes to giving out money.Well i went to Lowes paid the bill.Went to wm i even stuck to my list and spent around 25.00 but that was because i picked up a cd for the oldest.Then went to Sams club and stuck to my list.I then went to Kohls to get a gift for 5.00.Do you know how hard that is to use just that amount in their cometics and bath stuff.I ended up getting a spray for the oldest and then i came home.I then got the phone call from the Obamine campiagn.You see Oprah is coming here to where i live.The lady is going to drop off my tickets to go see Oprah tommorrow night.Not sure if it will happen as we have snow coming this way and not sure if i will go or not.I told the lady i would call her back if i decided to not use them.She is going to put them in my mailbox.And yep i did my dance since this will be a free event.Well i should go as i need to pick up the youngest at school for her physical.

Mish
Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon.
LoriMae, sometimes you really don't know. You just have to trust your gut instincts and go with that. If it doesn't feel right , it most likely isn't.
Mish, awesome job sticking to your lists! I have a hard time doing that at Christmas time, so I let dh pick up something if I need it. He's better at that than I am.
Pam, the Christmas program sounds wonderful!
Thanks for the carpet cleaning info., Connie. Good timing, actually. Our greyhound scraped his leg yesterday and bled all over the carpets. I have been scrubbing and scrubbing. AND scrubbing. He is fine. Just a small scrape, but his skin is like paper, so he bleeds a lot. But the carpet, what a mess!
I have had an eventful day. I spent the morning and early afternoon watching a toddler, a little boy. He is soo cute! My goodness, I am drained, though. lol He did give the t.v. remote a little bath in the dog's water dish. Oops, didn't quite catch that in time. It seems to still be working, though.
So frugal is eating a meal from the freezer tonight. Right now, I am going to have a cup of coffee and go read my library book. I was going to work out, but I think I may skip today. Take care ladies, and stay warm today. Happy Friday!

Last edited by jjoj; 12-07-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks Ladies. I am sure about my intuition. And I don't feel good about this one.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi

It's been a bit since I have posted, but have been reading all the good ideas every one has.

My week has been quite interesting. My other client I have is talking about going to a d home in Ca, that would leave me with no clients, so stopped in at another home health office and they hired me for sat & sun work , 5 hours each of those days. Still need to pick up another client or 2 tho to be able to survive.

My df is having gall bladder surgery this afternoon, I stopped in to see her on tues, then again today. Her dh was in the waiting room while she was in surgery, so visited with him. The df is still scheduled for tumor surgery on the 19th.

Stopped to buy some beef , cukes and ramon noodles , also put in $25 of gas in my car. Gas prices are @ $3.11 right now. When I got home made up a big kettle of stew , have it in the oven for my supper and tomorrows meals.

It's been dreary all day, although the temp reached 41 degrees, it feels much colder. Have the hungries for fudge, so found a sugar free recipe and will try it tomorrow.

Hope everyones weekend goes well.
Joy
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Nine Year Member

When my dd1 moved the boys who helped move her remarked about the 30 pairs of shoes, oops, now 29 as the dog ate a pair yesterday...I have loads of old heels from the 80s working and sometimes the dds actually use them, amazing to me, Naturalizers don't go out of style...my feet just want comfort in a shoe, end up wearing nice leather ones with walking soles and wool socks, the socks are more important than the shoes. And my dd2 got a great pair of moon boots at payless last year, perfect for when she does event parking for 3 hours outside.

I can't even begin to imagine what my bill would have been at Barnes and Noble if I hadn't used my discount card. Almost forgot I had it and while I was fishing in my wallet for it, the clerk looked up my phone number on the computer and got it that way. Good til next July she said, Oh yes, I thought, but I don't think my paychecks are big enough for my eyes desires in that store!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen, I probably have about 15 pr of shoes, mainly sandals and flip flops, not enough winter shoes. Barnes and Noble, good thing I don't go there because I would have the same problem. I love books, love 'em. I'm very lucky to have lots of friends that are big readers and they share their books when they are finished!

Cau, how is your dd? I meant to pipe in I was happy to hear her surgery went well and she was home.

Anna, how is your dh? Mom used to have meds where she'd have to wake to take them at times. They've got her on just morning, noon and evening meds now.

We've no snow but lots and lots of rain. I have picked up the flowers to put on the graves, my dad and my grandparents' but it's raining so much I'll sink in the mud. Will have to wait till it dries up some. I bought beautiful white and red/gold poinsetta flowers to put in the vases next to the stones. Mom bought a hanging basket to put on the shepherd's rod in front of dad's stone, all in poinsetta red and white.

My frugal, on the way home from work last night I stopped at Aldi and spent $42 and some change. Next stop was the Dollar General, they had their 100 oz bottle of Tide for $5.00. I need to go back and get a few more for that price, also had to get dog food. I was at Kroger earlier that day for work and saw Tide in the same bottle for over $8.00, no way! I knew the DG would have it cheaper but not that cheap! We SHOULD be set for the week, SHOULD being the operative word in that sentence.

Today we'll be putting up the Christmas tree and decorations, may start a little bit of baking. My mom was at a local grocer yesterday and got me a 5 lb bag of sugar, yes 5 lb not 4 lb like they're trying to pass off, for $0.99 and the day before was at another local grocer and they had Betty Crocker cake mixes for $0.49 a box! She picked me up 3. God love her!

I'm doing laundry, have the girls up and about, that includes my b/f 7 yr dd. She's a sweetie.

Guess I'll go fold some laundry. Hope you all have a wonderful day. Oh and thanks for whoever posted my siggy in the siggy sightings! That's cool seeing when you win an award for something or have a memorable siggy!

Hugs,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Last edited by Lislyn66; 12-08-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal for me?Last night was the Christmas concert.The whole family went and watched our youngest sing at that.She was very cute as they had alot of hand moves they had to know.One of her classmates started to do his own type of dancing during the show.He had me and a few others cracking up laughing while he was dancing.2 of my dds classmates go into trouble and their teacher pulled them off the bleachers and made them sit out a song.All in all a fun night.My dh is out running around with the middle dd.He had some shoes to take back to Famous Footwear,he almost had to pay full price for my youngest shoes but they couldnt figure out how to do it.Today is Santa is at the town hall.I will take some of the kids there in abit,.I should go as i have alot i need to be doing.Plus i have a really bad headache too.

Mish
Old 12-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! I hope you are all keeping warm and dry. The snow/sleet/freezing rain hasn't started yet, but we are under a "winter weather advisory" until noon tomorrow. I wouldn't mind if it passed us by!

Ellen, Barnes & Noble is definitely VERY tempting. We usually ask for gift cards for there for Christmas and birthdays. Between those and our discount card, we are able to support our book habit!

I hit a local grocery store last night that had all of their baking supplies on sale. I am now stocked up for all of my Christmas baking. I'm planning to get started on that today. Lisa, I got sugar for 88 cents, but it was the 4 lb. bag, not 5 lbs! The grocery clerk that bagged my stuff said he wished he lived at my house so he could get some home made cookies.

Well, I'm off to do some dusting. We're going to finish decorating the tree today and get the rest of the Christmas decorations up. It should be a fun day.

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!

Kathy

Closed Thread