Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Frugal today will be going to Payless to get winter boots for DD and myself. They are having a BOGO right now, so the second pair is 1/2 price. Payless is not DD's first choice, but the price is right. She will have to find something she can live with. My winter boots finally gave it up last year after 25 years! I think it was time!

DD told me this morning that she wants shoes for her birthday. Works for me....I got her a couple of small things but hadn't thought of a good gift (her birthday is 12/27). So if she wants a card with a "coupon to go shoe shopping, here is your budget" that's fine with me. If she wants we could even take one of her friends, and stop for a cocoa at a coffee shop after. I'm sure that would be a fun time for her. DH will be appalled, but he doesn't understand the whole thing about girls and shoes. Not even after living with me (yes, I'm a shoe hound.) DH owns 5 pairs of shoes: dress shoes, sneakers, flip flops, winter boots and hiking boots--and he only got those hiking boots last week for the camping trip so before that, he had 4 pairs. I might wear 4 different pairs of shoes in the course of a DAY!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Nine Year Member

I am staying home today until I leave for my sleep test tonight. Plan on making phone calls and getting the Christmas presents wrapped. Will be making a post office run on Monday for those out of town. Picked up the gift cards and the last of the presents yesterday.

Roberta
Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, I hear ya about the shoes, I too am a shoe hound. BC, before children, I had a pair of shoes to match every color blouse I owned for work. Now? I have a lot of shoes in the closet, all either given to me by someone or picked up for next to nothing but my comfiest are my gym shoes in the winter, flip flops/sandals in the summer.

Let's see, frugal today should be hitting the grocery store for just what is needed, there's no extra $$$ for anything else. And of course I'm out of laundry detergent, etc. I have to shop for work on the way in so if I find a few deals while I'm there, I'm picking them up.

Better go put dynamite under my girls' butts. Have a great morning everyone!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, I'm glad to hear David is home. I may PM you later.

I am on the soapbox with you ladies in regards to the Fundraisers too.
One thing that makes my blood boil is the way they try and make you feel guilty if you don't buy something or give money for this or that.
We are going through this right now with dh's work. They are taking up a collection for a guy that is going to be off work for a while, I don't mind that that is legit. He's going to have a colostomy bag.
But they have adopted a family that claims to be in dire straits. I am so skeptical of that since this time of the year people really are scamming to get eveything they can. They are asking for expensive items for their kids that I can't even afford to give mine.
I know this makes me sound like the "Grinch" but that's just the way I feel.

Roberta, good luck with your test tonight.
My sil had to do it too, she wasn't sleeping, has sleep apnea.
Cau, Glad to hear your dd is doing fine after surgery.

Last edited by LaurieS; 12-07-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna,So glad that your dh is doing better.I will continue to pray for him.
Roberta,Good luck with your sleep test tonight i will be thinking of you.
Cau,Glad to hear that your little one is doing better after the surgery.
Lisa,Sorry the job interview didn't have the hours you wanted.I am sure the right job is out there for you.
Barb,Very cute about being a shoe hound.That is something that i have never been.
Jean,Thanks for the warm words.My one neighbor i already have been asked if the kids can come here if the school lets them out so it is no big deal.The other mom i am not sure what to think of her anymore.She kind of lets her kids run around the neighborhood.She sometimes works out of the home.Lets just say i know for a fact that her and her new dh will be selling there home soon and moving out of this area so i will be pretty happy when that happens.
This moring we have a 2 hour delay here.So after the kids leave here i will be going to Sams to pick up a few things.Then i have a bill to pay at LOwes and then i need to go back to walmart to pick up a few things.I am also plannig on doing some more shopping too.I have a credtit at Kohls i am going to try and use but it is only good for make up ect.

Mish

I will try and check in later on but it will be a busy day with Christmas shopping and the little one is getting out of school early for her phyiscal and plaus tonight is the Christmas programn at school too.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Last night was DS1 Winter Concert at school. He is in the advanced band and they were so good, it brought tears to my eyes. They rec'd one standing ovation after another. He's so squirrely at times, to see him do something like this brings joy to my heart.

My kids don't even bring the fundraiser stuff home anymore.

Shoes: I love them! Need more of them!

Frugal today: I have to get my oil changed at lunch. DH is giving me that look, as it's over due. If I have time, I will run a couple other errands. I would really like to have everything done before tomorrow because I've run all week and I'm looking forward to spending some time cooking and baking this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day today! Keep warm and be careful driving!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Okay I am kinda sick at my stomach because I just realized the dishes in the dishwasher wasn't clean when I started to put them in the cabinets but the thing is my ds and I have used some of them for breakfast this morning. I hope we don't really get sick. I am such a silly nilly sometimes.

Ds gets out early again today and I haven't even started cleaning up the house. I keep putting it off this morning. Dh wasn't feeling well when he left for work and I won't be surprised if he comes back home.

Roberta, I hope things goes well with the sleep test.

Cau, I hope your dd recovers soon.

Lisa, maybe the next interview will be better.

Pam, I'm sure you had every right to be proud of your ds. Its so wonderful to see them succeed in things.

Anna, I hope David is feeling well this morning.

Well everyone if you don't hear from me you will know the germs got the best of me. (lol) Have a great day and I'll check in later.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, everyone! I hope you all stay safe and warm today. We got about 4 inches of snow yesterday. We're supposed to get some freezing rain and more snow overnight and tomorrow - probably about 3 additional inches of snow. Sounds like a great weekend for baking! I will have to run to the store to pick up eggs. I forgot to get them the other day when I went grocery shopping.

jeandeanette and RobertaD - I have the same problem with DH and DD's spending too much money. I am finally starting to make some headway with DH, but DD's being teenagers, I get a lot of sulking when I tell them no. DD1 thinks we should be able to go to Starbucks everyday for coffee. I think NOT! Maybe once a month for a treat, but that's about it.

Mish, so glad your tests came back negative. That must be a load off of your mind.

Lisa, I'm sorry that the interview didn't turn out the way you wanted. The right job will come along.

Anna, I'm so glad that David is home, and I hope the doctors figure out how to make him healthy again.

Cau, I'm glad that DD's surgery went well, and I wish her a speedy recovery!

Barb, DH and I will have to stop by Payless for some snow boots as well. The ones we are wearing now we've had for about 10 years. My MIL bought them for us on clearance at Kmart for 50 cents/pair!

Well, I'm off to do some cleaning and then get all of my errands done before the snow flies again this evening.

Kathy

Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Assistant Moderator

Ah, shoes! Love them!! I bought another five pair at the thrift store. Mudd, Born, one pair of payless and two I think walmart mart brands. I could tell the Born clogs had been worn a few times the rest were new. I like the shoe joke, Do you know how many shoes I own? I have no idea.
I have mixed feeling about collections for needy people/families. Here, it counts on your social staus. When ds1 had open heart surgery in MN, the town did nothing for us. Dh was off work for three weeks, without pay. Dd was two months old. When ds1 was born and we were traveling to Omaha to be with him, we recieved nothing. We are a little bitter.
Cau, I am glad dd's surgery went fine. I hope she recovers fast.
We have snow today. I will be staying home. This is good since I got little sleep last night. 'DIL' walked and hitchhicked here (thirty miles) to give ds the key to thier house, saying she was leaving the state. Then proceeded to walk mainstreet. Of course ds went home with her.
Norma, that accident sounds terrible!
Roberta, could you interlibrary loan some of the books your dd wants? I use our local college since we don't have to pay for postage. The way my kids read, I couldn't keep up with the postage when useing the local library.
I am now being asked for donations for local Christmas celebrations. Mind you we can't attend due to dd's food allergies. They want us to feel welcome so they ask for a donation? Strange town I live in.
Anna, after ds1 had open heart surgery, his meds were taken five or six time a day. None of it was the same. I had a chart of the frigde telling me what meds to give him when. His diet was rigid too so another chart for that. It is no wonder I barely filled out a size five back then. I didn't have time to eat plus the stress!
[/SIZE]
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

bluebird, Thanks for making me feel a little less "Grinchy'. I too am a bit bitter towards to whole charity giving.
My dh just gives and gives, no questions asked. But something just doesn't ring true with this families story. They sent their story to one of our locate news channels and ch 6 did not pick it up. Makes me wonder why? And the other thing is they don't even live in our community.

I am choosing to donate to the flooded out communities. These people don't even have homes to live in right now.

Closed Thread