Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I know for sure that it won't hang around for a holiday snack tray! The vultures here have been feasting on pepperoni and cheese The cookies were open packs, so today I am bagging them up for lunchboxes.

Lisa, best of luck at the interview today!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, yay, Lisa! I wish you all the best with your interview.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dovie--
Welcome!!!

Barb--
Free food--yay!!

Lisa--
Good luck with the job interview! Hope it goes very well--you deserve to be somewhere where you are treated well!

Anna--
It sounds like things have been going very well for your candle business. Glad to see that! You have a great product there, and you really take care of your customers. And I will continue to keep you and your DH in my prayers.

My girlfriends and I had our yearly cookie/candy exchange and Christmas party on Sunday. It was so much fun! Everyone was able to make it this year, as did everyone's children! That can be tough will all of the kids' activities and sometimes with custody/ visitation arrangements!! Anyway, we had a great day--I look forward to this party all year long. There are 7 of us adults and a whole lot of kids (I think I've lost count!). It's a great way to make sure we can all really connect at least once a year--phone calls and emails are great, but in person is so much better! Plus we take turns hosting the party, so we only have to host a party once every 7 years! This was year 15
Anyway, hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Went to Krogers yesterday to buy fruitcake supplies. Our place to buy fruitcake since I was a kid, this grocery store named Farmer Jack, closed a few months ago, all of them so we didn't think about the fact that its almost Xmas and now we had no fruitcake. I usually send my sister a fruitcake along with my homemade cookies etc. So, I decided this year I would make one...scared as I was.

So, I searched online for about two days until I found a recipe as close to the one we're used too as possible. So, then I went to Krogers and bought the fruitcake mix, corn syrup, the red and green cherries, and instead of raisins, I bought Craisins, some flour and eggnog-(just cause I thought I was getting a deal on it-wasn't worth it-lol).

So then I went to the Liquor store and bought some brandy. I then soaked the fruit in it. I then crushed the whole pecans I had. I thought we had walnuts but apparently my mother took them home. So, then I went to the bulk store and bought more pecans, walnuts, currants, dried pineapple, and some dried dates-(which I decided not to put in the cake), and went home and made the cake. I ended up with four cakes!!! I spent $47 for the supplies but it was worth it. The size of the four cakes alone would've been about $30.

At Kroger yesterday they had a mini loaf of fruitcake, like a brick, that was $18. And so I have four...for $47, not bad. I glazed the tops with a brandy/corn syrup mixture and now they will age and I put my sister's in a nice Xmas tin we got at the thrift store. I need to get two more tins.

The fourth cake, I'm gonna use my round cookie cutter to make into mini fruitcakes. I need to buy some more brandy to make more glaze, but thats all. Next time I will buy a bigger bottle.

I am going to donate one of the cakes to charity. A family posted on Craigslist that they had nothing for Xmas. So, I can either donate the cake to them if they want it or to some senior home or something. I told them if they want cookies, I'll make them or a cake...I'm making cookies next to send to my sister anyway. And at least the kids can put out some for Santa.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have just about a week and a half to get some crafts together for a craft fair at my daughter's school. I spent $20 on extra supplies, but I'm trying to use things we already have, like canning jars just sitting there. My aunt told me to paint them. So, I painted a cute snowman on it. I have more stuff to go...I wish I had like a crafting area but I just do it all in my living room. I hope for no messes-lol.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Last edited by leasmom; 12-04-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Morning everyone! I'm working from home a little this morning before the ortho appointment, so I thought I would pop in.

Welcome dovie! Very inspiring here and wonderful ladies too!

Good luck Lisa!

Barb: I love when my DSs have a few extras from Boy Scouts. It's not very often, but certainly welcome.

Anna: Thinking of you and your DH.

Frugal today: food from home and I'll have a free Christmas dinner tonight. I'm packing up the rest of this 400 pound pork roast that I made on Sunday for the freezer. I can't seem to see an end to it, so in the freezer it goes for another time.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wow leasmom, Your cakes sound yummy. I'm probably the only person I know that really likes fruitcake!

Would you share yr recipe for the fruitcake and the lemon pound cake?

Welcome dovie, lots of good ideas here.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Chris, LOVE THE NEW PICTURE!!!! And am so happy for you that the cookie exchange went so well. I'm thinking of starting one next year for my cousins and myself. It's too late this year, they'll crab at me that I didn't give them enough notice!

Am at work and ready to start my day. I've a little more bounce in my step today, just knowing there's an interview on the horizon. Plus, I woke up early and got a little exercise in, I feel really good, except the shoulder, that's not so good. Time, I know, time.

Nose to the grindstone, here I go!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning ladies. I'm taking a very short break from housework to say hi.

It is so very cold here. We may see some snow tomorrow but its not supposed to amount to much so thats good.

Lisa, I hope the interview goes good for you. It would be great for you to go into a brand new year with a new job that you liked. Let us know how it goes. Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

dovie, welcome to fc. I know I truely enjoy reading what these ladies do to be frugal and I think you will to. Also, I'm looking forward to your ideals.

Pam, enjoy your Christmas dinner tonight.

Barb, thats good about the food. Thats so much better than just throwing stuff away.

Leasmom, you sound very busy. I bet your home smells great with all the good baking you do.

Chris, thats really neat how you and your friends get together like that. I always think other peoples food taste better.

Frugal here is just staying home and cooking from what we have. Trying to unplug things and trying to save water where I can.

Well as much as I wish it would I guess the dirty towels aren't going to jump in the washer by themselves so I will check in later. Have a great day.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 AM

leasom

I wish I'd known you needed a fruitcake recipe, I have a awesome one. I don't put alcohol in mine though, we soak it in cheesecloth and orange juice. They are a huge amount of work and you are correct, they are very expensive but alot cheaper and taste better than any store bought one I've found.

Chris

I love the new photo, did you get your hair cut shorter? and I'm so glad you were able to get together with your friends for the cookie/candy making I wish I had a big enough house to do that. I'll never forget years ago one of my best friends and I got together to make Buckeyes and potato candy, her son was barely walking... she had confectioners sugar on a table in the front room and wasn't watching Brandon closely... OMG, he pulled the open bag down and was covered head to toe with confectioners sugar, LOL!!! Ah but the memories.

Barbzy

Can't say I blame your vultures, pepperoni and cheese is a wonderful snack.

Lisa

That's wonderful news about the job interview, I sure hope you get it. A change in environment will be wonderfully uplifting for you I'm sure.

Well at 10:42am and we're still waiting for the hospital to call. I managed to get the candle order labeled and packaged and just got back from both the post office and the bank, so it's on it's way.. I think this is some kind of record for me. I made 10 different candles last night and shipped out today in less than 24 hours.

Dh is complaining about the hospital not getting a room, when actually it's probably the receptionist at the cardiologist... she left a voice mail message to the hospital, said for us to her if they hadn't called us by 2pm. I told dh unfortunately we are a dying breed of "Git R Done" type people.

Well off to doodle for awhile. Take care my friends and stay warm.

Anna
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Assistant Moderator

Chris I adore your hair! What color do you use?
Lisa, best of luck today! I am praying for you.
Welcome Dovie!
Anna, I know how scared I was everytime ds1 had heart problems or sugeries. There is nothing like that fear in your heart. I am so sorry you are going thru this. Hugs to you. I am here if want to talk sweetie. Give your hubby a big bear hug from me okay?

Closed Thread