FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What Did You Do Frugal Today (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/)
-   -   What did you do frugal today? - 21 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-did-you-do-frugal-today/21577-what-did-you-do-frugal-today-21-a.html)

justEricka 10-18-2007 08:00 PM

well we had alot of wind..it broke our old hanging tree...was actully used in a hanging in the late 1800s...creepy huh and it fell to the back of the pasture..insted of any of the other 3 ways..our barn, our house and our storage trailer..so it was alll good.

ill write more tommrow, im pretty tired..so ou all have a good night.
ericka

crochet2 10-19-2007 03:09 AM

Good morning all!!

TGIF!!!

First of all, Ericka, I was being a little self-centered this week, but I didn't want you to think I didn't notice that wonderful grade of yours - congratulations on that 100%. It shows how much work, study and interest you put into that class.

For all you who had those storms - they can get a bit scary. And, they are moving to the east. We have had some already, rain, but no storms yet. I only know because I went to the front door and flipped on the light. The walkway is wet. The Philadelphia news is telling parents to check their website this afternoon to see if they should pick up their children from school because of downpours, or whatever. They don't normally say these things during the weather forecast. So it must be going to be pretty rough.

I am having my favorite meal for breakfast - a peanut butter sandwich, an apple and that cup of tea.

Lizzie, I know just what you mean. Now that they have diagnosed me as "pre-diabetic", the doctor's office sent me a ton of literature from the Mayo clinic. My doctor's group is definitely pro-meds. But here in a small town, I can still demand "samples" for quite a while, I always try for 3 months, before committing to a script, or actually admitting that something is wrong. Right now, I have just committed to watching what I eat a little better. I am cutting out some carbs that I normally have, and lowering my sugar intake somewhat. That way, I can ease into whatever it is if really necessary.

And with the three doctors in my group, there might be incentives for the larger affiliated group if the entire group gives out so many scripts, but 2 of the three in my little town only take 2 weeks each of vacation per year. Our one doctor that I grew up going to was a sole practitioner for well over 30 years. But as he aged, he saw benefit to getting 2 younger women doctors in to help him. This has helped him ease out of 12 hour days into semi-retirement - he still comes in likie 3 days a week, and only sees the really elderly who he has been their doctor the longest. I was given over to the one woman who is just about my age, and has recognized that I can look up something online, and question everything she wants to do. We started out a little roughly, until she realized I can tell when I have a cold and when I have bronchitis. And I know when I have an ear infection. I had to make her a believer when it came to accupuncture and my blood pressure. But we now get along really well, and it is more of the partnership that it is supposed to be, not the "parent-child" relationship they sometimes end up with.

Patrice, those desserts sound so good.

Speaking of dessert, I went to dinner with my friend last night. We opted for a salad and an appetizer for dinner. We don't do dessert often, but she spotted pumpkin cheesecake on the menu. I don't like pumpkin, so I got lemon sorbet, frozen in a real lemon shell. It was sooo good.

Well ladies, got to go, and get ready for work.

Take care all!!

Norma

barbszy 10-19-2007 03:28 AM

Ericka, if you had to lose a tree, that's the way to go. I'm glad nothing else got damaged.

I agree about the prescriptions. Sometimes I think that the doctors prescribe those because the reps come in and tell them all kinds of good stuff about them. Then they see a patient, and the last thing they heard is about this new medicine--so that's what they prescribe. I thought all that vacation stuff was illegal though.

Yikes, Norma, I didn't realize it was going to be so bad this afternoon! Big DS has a track meet! :eek: I can't go, since DD is still sick, but DH is going. I just emailed him at work to let him know to watch the weather. Thanks for the heads-up! :) DS is going camping with a group from school tonight, but that is cabin camping so they can do that in any weather.

Norma, I love that lemon sorbet in the lemon peel! YUM!

:congrats: Liz on your job offer :trampolin:trampolin:trampolin What kind of work will you be doing?

jeandeanette, I'm glad the recipe worked out well! :sausa:

Mish 10-19-2007 04:27 AM

Jean,Glad your receipe turned out.
Norma and Barb,Hope you will be ok with all the bad weather coming your way.
Liz,Congrats on the job offer way to go.
Ericka,I am glad a tree was the only thing you lost in the storm.
Frugal for me today is i need to go to the store to get some food for the family.So far we are doing ok just a filler but i would like to try and pick up some meat.I have been craving pot roast for awhile here.I might just cave in and pay the higher prices for it.Wish me luck.I will be back on line later.TGIF!!!

Mish :)

jeandeanette 10-19-2007 04:40 AM

Just wanted to say Good Morning everyone. I let yds open his card with money and his shirt this morning before he left for school. I offered for us to take him to school but he wanted to ride the bus. He requested cinnamon rolls for breakfast so thats what he had.

We have been getting a little rain this morning. I sure hope for a lot more. The sound of rain right now is a wonderful sound.

Liz, I'm happy for you about the job offer. I hope its a good one.

Ericka, I'm glad you didn't have your home damaged over the fallen tree. I have been seeing some very sad pictures on the news about the damage in some places.

Hope all of you have a good frugal day today. I'll check in later.

futureteacher 10-19-2007 04:56 AM

Good morning!

Liz--
That is wonderful about the job!

Ericka--
Don't know how I missed it before, but congratulations on the grade! So glad it's going well for you! Too bad about the tree though, although it's a good thing it fell the way it did!

Mish--
I've had that craving for roast too! Think it's a kind of a fall comfort food for me. Maybe in the next couple of weeks I will have to splurge!

Frugal here yesterday was depositing a flex spending check. While I was at the credit union, I also got a free cookie--apparently they were celebrating "credit union week." That was a nice surpise!

I also went to Factory Card Outlet and picked up some Halloween treats and gifts for my godkids and some treats for my co-workers. Spent about $30--that got me treat bags, candy and some small gifts for the 5 godchildren. Didn't think that was too bad--did I mention I accidently-on-purpose have a few candy treats leftover for me--lol!!!

Lislyn66 10-19-2007 05:35 AM

Ericka, I'm relieved to hear the tree was the only thing lost, and that it fell where it did.

Liz, I hope the job is what you wish it to be and will be a great opportunity.

Jean, it sounds like you started yds birthday just right!

Chris, of course you should accidentally on purpose have enough candy for you!

Norma, the lemon sorbet in the shell of the lemon sounds heavenly!

We had round II of the storms last night. My mom called me twice to see how we were, now I only live 30 SECONDS from her house. I told her fine. I made supper and the oldest dd and I sat on the front porch, got completely windblown, some gusts were up to 80 mph but watched it blow past us. Where my b/f lives they got it a lot worse, a tornado on the ground about 20 miles from his house. He was down by me, the next town over. I called to let him know about his area, he called his mom who lives near him and she reported all was ok, windblown but ok. So he came over to my hosue for supper when he was finished working.

Frugal today? Will have a "free" lunch. I've been playing the McDonalds Monopoly game, co-workers giving me pieces since they aren't playing. The other day one man gave me a game piece for a free small drink and yesterday I had a game piece for a free "beef" sandwich, so that will be my lunch...lol!

Also, tonight will just eat from what's at home, do laundry, maybe clean a bit, don't want to spend all tomorrow cleaning.

Hope you all have a great day!
Lisa

Cook4fun 10-19-2007 06:02 AM

Happy Friday!

Jean: I'm sure you have made your DS birthday very nice. I hope he has a great day!

Ericka: I'm glad your tree went down without a fight and it landed in a good way. I don't think I would want a tree like that growing around my place anyway. Sounds creepy...

Jamie: I'm glad you and your neighbors worked out a deal.

DH has a respiratory infection and he is taking an antibiotic. The Dr. gave him some samples of a decongestant, but he can't swallow big pills. He knew this when the Dr. handed them to him, now why didn't he tell him that right then??? This has become quite an ordeal -- anyone have any ideas for getting one down him? They are scored and can be broken in half, however he says it feels like it's stuck in his throat and won't go down. After trying to get him to "toughen up" a little and eat some toast afterward to push it down, I threatened to grease his chest with Vicks. He wants no part of that. My suggestion at this point is to call his Dr. and have them prescribe a "liquid" form decongestant. I don't want to be insensitive to him being sick, but he's shot down everything I've come up with and I'm fast losing my patience! :gaah:

Those of you who will be getting wild weather later, be careful.

barbszy 10-19-2007 06:50 AM

Pam, I can't help with the pill swallowing but he might get some relief from:
menthol cough drops (I like Ricola cough drops--they really clear my head and don't taste too nasty)
spicy food like a whole jalapeno (anything with plenty of capsacin in it). Get him some Buffalo wings, very spicy Mexican, spaghetti fra Diavolo....
breathe in the steam from hot tea or hot chicken soup

jeandeanette 10-19-2007 06:50 AM

Pam, when my ods was little he wouldn't swallow pills at all. I tried all kinds of things and he couldn't do it. I ended up buying a pill crusher at walmart and I would put his pill in the container and screw the lid down and it would crush the pill into powder and then he could swallow the powder with water. Maybe you can get something like that for your husband. I hope he gets better soon.