Online auctions and frugal buying ideas for a person who hates shopping - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Online auctions and frugal buying ideas for a person who hates shopping

I just had a terrible experience with eBay. I am wondering where and/or how others buy used clothing and such without having to go to million garage sales? I detest shopping in the worst way. I don't mind going online and ordering something though.

At the beginning of June, I ordered a coat for my DGD, clothes for my DGD, a coat for my DGS, and clothes from my DGS. The coat for my DGD came in right away with no problems. However, the other stuff from 3 other people never came. I tried emailing the other 3 with no response for over 2 weeks. One did get ahold of me and said that she had a family emergency. I turned the other 2 into eBay. FINALLY, when I did hear from the 1 had a family emergency and the other said the clothes got ruined! The other one who had the family emergency was ticked off because I turned her in. Well, I am sorry, but she should have emailed me and said that an emergency came up so that I didn't think that she took my money and ran. Well, she is the only one who never did receive my money so I am having to rush another check out to her. The other 2 cashed my money order or check. I refuse to use PayPal because I had some bad experiences with them taking over a month to cycle the payment. They took the money out of my checking immedieately, but the sellers claimed that they didn't get their share from PayPal for a month. This was when I was planning my DDs wedding and I didn't have a month or 2 to wait to see IF I was going to get my stuff. Then, when 2 of the dresses came in, they were the wrong color or something.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has used any other online auction or done any other type of frugal buying of clothes and such with any success? I'd appreciate your advice or suggestions. Remember, I hate (not a strong enough word) shopping and going to garage sales.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

DeBora, I have never ordered used clothing online but I have ordered a lot of second hand things through Amazon. I buy used books, dvd's, cd's etc. I have also bought a used game system (our Sega Genesis system broke and the kids missed playing the old games so I bought a used system for about $12 through Amazon) You can get most anything used through Amazon including household items and they have an excellent return policy. Another site I have heard of is Freecycle.com. I have only browsed it and never used it but I have heard good things about it. Everything on the site is free.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Sammi, thanks for the information. I will have to look for children's clothes. If I can't find them there at least I will know what I can get there in the future.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with ebay. I have been fortunate buying gently used jeans and cargo pants on ebay for my little boy. My only suggestion would be to check the ratings for your seller....but of course that is no guarantee.

Freecycle is very active in our area. We have "gifted" away lots of outgrown children's clothing and books, and received some useful household items. All freecycle items are offered at no cost. Check freecycle.org for information for your area.

http://adventureswithtootsandtheninja.blogspot.com/

Be quite sure that God will bless you and that the depths of your sufferings will be matched by the consolation reserved for you.

St. Therese of Lisieux
Old 07-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Freecycle is big in our area too. I have given lots away especially when we moved from other house to here. And also received things we could use.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I also had a bad experience with some software from Ebay.The seller had an excellent rating and cashed my check right away and cound not be heard from since. Like Sami I have had great luck with Amazon. I've bought tons of books cds. and dvds and they were all in great condition. I order online and always check the clearance section of the stores I shop from. Zappo's site is great for shoes as it does not charge for shipping and handling either way.I also check for online coupons before I place an order from a store. Often it is for free shipping & handling or $20.00 off a $80.00 order. I do have a list of sites for good bargins pm me if you want the lists.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have had good and bad with ebay!!! its tooo bad some make it bad for others!!! GEE I LOVE to shop at garage sales and clearance racks!!!!!lol some do some dont!!! I would like to find some way to get rid of some of my stuff but am afraid to start!!!! I use paypal and so far so good!!!!
Good luck if you try again!!!
ps what are you looking for?????lol
Old 07-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I don't see anything in the way of children's clothing there. I even tried overstock and couldn't find any there either.

Has anyone ever used Ubid? I am still looking for a place that sells children's clothing. I don't mind purchasing several of the same style shirt or pants in different colors. I would just like to get clothes for my GKs without having to go out to the store. I mean, I really HATE shopping. lol
Old 07-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowire
I have had good and bad with ebay!!! its tooo bad some make it bad for others!!! GEE I LOVE to shop at garage sales and clearance racks!!!!!lol some do some dont!!! I would like to find some way to get rid of some of my stuff but am afraid to start!!!! I use paypal and so far so good!!!!
Good luck if you try again!!!
ps what are you looking for?????lol
Sorry I didn't see your post until I finished posting. The main problem I have with eBay is there are no humans to help you when there is a problem. I had sellers give me negative feedback because I either gave them negative or neutral feedback. The gave me the bad feedback in retaliation. Their only comment was that I wasn't an understanding ebayer. The feedback means nothing if everyone is saying good things even when bad things happened so that the seller won't give them bad feedback. Okay, I will get off my now.

I am looking for children's clothing. I had ordered sizes 24months/2T for boys and girls 4T and 5T. My DGD is starting school this fall and I am wanting school clothes for her. The seller that I ordered from had some terrific deals, but she said her 2 year old spilled grape juice all over the clothes and ruined them. Bummer. I am open for any suggestions for finding clothes for my GKs. I know the Salvation Army stores have great clothes. But, like I said, and I cannot say this enough, I HATE shopping. lol
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The good and the bad

When the kids were younger, my favorite place to shop was a second hand store called Once Upon A Child. I could find great baby clothes and toys for babies up to ages 5-6.

The kids are now 13 and 14 and the local Goodwill has been great. At first the kids were horrified at used clothing. But they came around quickly when they saw what we could get at very cheap prices.

Ebay has been good to me. Out of over 100 auctions, I think I was skunked maybe 3x. I like the idea that I can get unique "one of a kind" things no one else has. I don't really like shopping the stores, but online it okay.