Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I wasn't feeling very energetic yesterday. I did wash my car, so that saved me $6. We bought some wax, so sometime this week I'll need to wash it again and wax it. I got a sunburn yesterday, so I'm a little sore!

My dh bought a used dump truck, so he spent the day getting it ready to license. He'll be using it and the backhoe when my parents add on to their house. We've also got some dirt to move when we build our big garage.

Well, gotta go get ready for church.

Carol

Old 05-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jewelle

Frugal today? I have decided on how to celebrate my DD's birthday with her friends. I don't have alot to spend, so I asked my friend (who is a hairdresser) if she would be willing to come over and do hair while I do nails. We'll have a "Girls' Night Out" party. Lots of snacks, punch and giggling. My DD will be 9....do you think it is a good age for doing this type of thing? We plan on getting lots of different colored nail polish and hair accessories. We'll have cake and ice cream and have the tunes blasting from the Karoke machine. They can take turns singing with the Karoke too. I plan to limit the Number of invitees to 5. Not too many so that my friend and I will be able to handle the "makeover" with ease. I'm thinking maybe do it as a sleepover: taking lots of pictures for the kids to take home and letting them just have fun.

Any feedback or ideas you can offer would be really appreciated.

Deb
I think that is a great idea for a 9 yr olds party those girls will have a blast my dd is 9 and she loves to have sleep over partys on her birthday.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 PM

jewelle

That sounds like a wonderful idea for the birthday party and one she'll remember forever. It will also set the foundation for her future in teaching her how to have fun with other girls, girl friend bonding and all that.

Frugal? Yesterday was beautiful and instead of having a yard sale we had a candle sale in the yard . We put up the tent (gazebo type) and put out the tables. I did pretty well, not many visitors but the ones who did stop bought alot. One guy bought so much I felt bad and threw in some freebies. He was a sweetheart, he was buying them for his wife and said he will definitely be back for more. I gave him my business card and told him to call anytime.

So I'd like to say "No money was spent yesterday" but I sent dh to our wax supply place to buy more paraffin. Tonight I'm making a actual candle cake. It is two layers scented sugar cookie and will have strawberrie icing drizzled on the top and strawberries all around it ( I have a candy mold for little strawberries). Dh will use a long wick rod and make holes in the cake for the wicks to go through. I hope it'll work out.. this is something I saw but don't have a pattern for.

Today I went to the store and used 2 $2.00 coupons I got a week or so ago for buying Pepsi you could use it on any purchase. I also bought more Pepsi and this time they had a $1.00 off coupon for every 2 12 packs you bought. I bought 4 and saved $2.00. Not that great but it's something I had to buy anyway so the savings was nice. The Pepsi was on sale for $3.00 a 12 pack.... whew, whew!!! LOL!

I also went to 4 thrift stores looking for those little metal jello cups and can't find them anywhere. Will have to look on ebay or contact Montanaczech, she was helpful in finding a tiered plate for me last fall. I did find several other molds though including the cake pans. They were brand new at one of the thrift stores for $1.00 each and had the non stick finish I needed. I found a really neat heart shaped mold pan dh liked, said it would be great for Valentines Day. I think it will be nice for other occassions too such as anniversaries and bridal showers.

Well girls I'm off to finish up laundry. Take care and we'll talk again soon.

Anna
Old 05-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Frugal is staying home. HArd to believe that school is almost over with. This is my kids last week. They are so excited, bit I know after the first week they will be asking when school starts. Just the way they are.
Dh starts school next month. An 8 week 2 class semester. And he will be able to work more then last semester. Thank goodness.

Got to get the kids ready for school. Have a nice night all.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:01 PM

Went to ebay and found tons of molds. Got 31 pieces for $6.99 including the shipping. I have a second bid open we'll see if I get that one, don't really need it but both were getting ready to expire so didn't want to loose my options.

So I should be all set.

Anna
Old 05-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, everyone!
Emmjean, I was going to say that's early for school to be out, but just realized May is over halfway over!
Anna, your cake candle sounds really cute, and great job on selling your candles! It sounds like you will get some repeat customers from that.
Jewelle, the birthday party sounds like lots of fun. I'm sure your daughter will have many happy memories of it.
We spent most of the day today window shopping for a living room chair. I think we finally found what we wanted, but we are going to think on it a few more days. Frugal was resisting the temptation to spend money at the mall or eat out while we were looking. Frugal yesterday was (finally) getting our garden started.Well, take care ladies, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wishing a safe move to the ones moving (the three L's)!

Sounds like everyone is keeping frugal.

I have been trying to. Our gas jumped .20 but I managed to get it at a station that only jumped .10 in the one day.

My most frugal find was a Crayola Kit at Meijers that was 11.90 on clearance but with their 3 day sale and coupon it ended up being a whooping .64 cents. It will be one of those items that can come out on an "I'm bored" summer day.

It is hard to believe that school is almost out. My DS will be graduating 5th grade on Tuesday. DD has to go until June 1.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 AM

gOOD MORNING ALL!!

Anna - hope you won that bid on e-Bay. I love those auctions. I never really looked at Bidville.com until the other night, and found quite a few crochet patterns that I am interested in.

This past weekend was pretty frugal, in that I finally did just the shopping I needed right now (with the exception of bbq which was 3/$ and I had 2 $1.00 off coupons). I used my last $3 off your next order at ACME on stocking up on the frozen portions which were $1 each. I just got 3, walked up to the cashier, handed her my shopper card, and the coupon, bagged the salmon and took off. No temptations there.

And I stuck to my list at the other store. The only thing I didn't have a coupon for was q-tips.

I bought all my produce at the produce market and that is always frugal. There are only coupons out once in a while for a certain amount off produce if you buy something.

And I got the pot roast for last night's dinner at the local grocery that has the absolute best pot roast. And it was on sale. Good thing, because that was what I had a craving for. I have plenty left for sandwiches.

Actually, all I think I splurged on was the Healthy Choice Roasted Honey Turkey lunchmeat. I like this a lot, and being "Healthy Choice" has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, I am looking forward to leftovers (I even made extra mashed potatoes), and lots of good salads and sandwiches this week.

I have recently seen potato salad recipes made with left over mashed potatoes, so I might try one of them. It doesn't sound all that interesting to me, but I am willing to give it a try - at least once.

Well ladies, got to go. I have just 3 more rounds left on this new afghan to do and it will be done.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had a fairly frugal weekend--no meals out, and I rented a movie from the library for $1 (Raising Helen, which was incredibly cute!) I love this time of year when you don't need to use the heat OR the air!!! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Today I do the last of the laundry, clean the house, pack, and a few odds & ends. Tomorrow we take off on a long-awaited (and much needed) vacation.

We'll fly to San Diego to visit our son (stationed at Camp Pendalton). He has a house, so that'll help us be frugal. We're planning a trip to the zoo, some wine-country tours, and, of course -- the beach.

You all behave while I'm gone

Closed Thread