Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, I wish I could remember-it was a ladies' magazine a few months back. Maybe because eating also has a lot to do with not just tasting, but also certain scents and how they smell. It seems to make sense, anyway.
Our strawberries are slowly ripening. I am planning to freeze some for making jam later, but we seem to be having a hard time resisting the urge to eat them as soon as they're picked. Oh, well, maybe some of them will make it to the freezer. Or not. Frugal today has been having the windows open and not using the air. There is a nice breeze today from the rain. Well, take care, ladies, and have a nice evening!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Good evening all!

Well ladies, it was to be an unfrugal evening. But then it rained, and the air show was canceled for this evening. So my friend and I just went out to dinner and then home. It is in the upper 40's, but damp, and rainy, and I had to turn the heat on.

I had better get back to the afghan.

This weekend I have my sweepstaking club meeting tomorrow, and on Sunday, I am going to the produce market, and get a "pot roast" from the local market for Sunday dinner. No big shopping for me. I am laying low, until the next big thing comes along.

Well ladies, better go for now. Happy frugalness for the weekend.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 05-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Norma - I had to laugh about your laying low, that's the way I feel after I've had to spend money!

It's in the high 80's here, just gorgeous!

I'm waiting for my guys to come back from their overnighter.

Carol

Old 05-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal almost turned into unfrugal but ended up frugal in the end

I got up today to go to this free Single Mom's oil change a church had sponsered. I was happy because my car needed its oil changed badly, it was sounding pretty bad and was running slow. So, they changed it and then while we were sitting there they said, "Who has the Buick Lesabre." I said, me. They said, "You really need to change your Serpetine belt." I asked around and people were quoting me from $70 to $100." I was devastated because I really can't use too much more strain on my budget right now not with getting everything I need to do with moving, daycare etc. So, I went home and called my friends husband and asked if he could do it. He said sure call and see how much it would cost. THey said it cost $19.00, so I called him back and he said he'd charge me $15 to fix it. So, I went and bought it.

I also took my cat to Petsmart for a free nail clipping. He did very well, esp. since they're was dogs everywhere. I on the other hand have alot of cat scratches on me-LOL! Anyway, I took it over to my friends house and he started working on it, but took his time so we were sitting outside bored and so I convinced her to go with me to a garage sale. She found several items of clothing for her son and daughter and I found several clothes my dd can wear. One sale was reasonable being 2 for .25 cents per clothing item while the other was $2 a piece but I spent $8.25 and got her several items which I'm happy about, esp. pants and capris she can wear.

So, we came back and he finally fixed it so that was very frugal. I also went to the grocery store and spent $12 on some meats that were clearance. They had ground turkey for $1.99 per package.

So, I'm very happy that I didn't spend too much and the car runs very smoothly now!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Assistant Moderator

That is how I feel after shopping today! We went to two different hardware store for fence posts, a new lock for the pool, screen and a door guard. The door guard was very pricey but we need it. Didn't get any great deals a yard sales today. I am in the mood for a BIG good deal. Like I can control that. LOL

Our pool is up, full and running but not clean. While dh was vaccuming the pool, I realized I was short one filiter sock. It must have fallen in the pool. So we will run the filter until the water clear up so we can see thru it. Also our brush head broke today. Walmart doesn't carry them here and I have no idea about the little pool/spa store in town. I need to order chemicals so I may order one at the same time and make due until it comes.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal today? I have decided on how to celebrate my DD's birthday with her friends. I don't have alot to spend, so I asked my friend (who is a hairdresser) if she would be willing to come over and do hair while I do nails. We'll have a "Girls' Night Out" party. Lots of snacks, punch and giggling. My DD will be 9....do you think it is a good age for doing this type of thing? We plan on getting lots of different colored nail polish and hair accessories. We'll have cake and ice cream and have the tunes blasting from the Karoke machine. They can take turns singing with the Karoke too. I plan to limit the Number of invitees to 5. Not too many so that my friend and I will be able to handle the "makeover" with ease. I'm thinking maybe do it as a sleepover: taking lots of pictures for the kids to take home and letting them just have fun.

Any feedback or ideas you can offer would be really appreciated.

Deb

"I can do anything 15 minutes at a time"
www.flylady.net
Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

They will have a great time. This is the perfect age for this kind of party.
My sister did this and made it a "Prom." She collected old prom/bridesmaid gowns from herself and her friends and asked the kids to wear fancy shoes. They did hair & nails, dressed in the prom gowns and danced in her basement (streamers, balloons & a garage sale disco ball made the decos). She took Polaroids of each girl for them to take home and each got a fake flower "corsage" too. They had a blast.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Barb,
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that it woulld be fun for them; but, maybe things have changed since I was that age. I wasn't sure if it would be fun for them or for me
I like the idea of the "prom" theme. I think I'll purchase one of those microphones that the singers wear on their head and let them put on their own "concert". I better think about earphones for DH.....it will be a long night.

Thanks again,
Deb

"I can do anything 15 minutes at a time"
www.flylady.net
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 AM

Good morning all!!

More great adventures. I got to the restaurant yesterday and for 4 blocks around, the electricity was off. There were cops directing traffic everywhere, and flares, and everyone was really going slowly.

So I walk in and go to our sweepstaking room, in the front , with a wall of windows, so we could see each other, the menu, the food. But back in the main restaurant room, they had peple sitting at tables with little tiny candles. How these people could see was beyond me.

The waitress made sure to tell us that they could not provide us with any hot food, and that they could not offer soda either because of the electrical situation.

So it was a ham and cheese sandwich with iced tea. They could handle that.

Then when it came to the drawings, I won the 50/50 ($20) and the scratch off lottery cards (I won $1). I had spoken up, claimed both of them, and won them both. It was funny. Since my friend and I started this group, I am less inhibited than if I was attending a meeting with a group someone else started. I try to make sure that I talk to everyone on a personal level thoughout the meeting, and try to draw everyone in at some point. We only have a couple of real introverted people, and we all try to make them feel comfortable.

I got home and decided to pull some weeds. I don't know what I rubbed up against, but I have a forearm with a red, raised rash. I didn't even notice it until I bathed, and it plumped up and was very red. I requested that my nephew have his father come by when he got home from work to take a "look-see". He said that since it doesn't itch, it must be something I am mildly allergic to and I should just put some alcohol on it. I think there will be a little cortaid on it this morning too.

Other than that, I refused to do too much. Dinner was left overs from eating out on Friday night, and my nephew ate on his own before he did his mandatory "check in" with the aunt. I started the weekend laundry a little early with an extra load of rugs. And I got quite far on my afghan.

While I was out yesterday I did go to the produce market. Now I have to get the pot roast.

And I am planning a quick run to the grocery out of town. There are a couple of staples I need, and I have a $5 certificate from my credit card company for one store and that $3 coupon from the other. The $3 one has a close expiration date on it, and I am not sure what it is.

Well ladies, I better go, it is raining, and I need to get those weekend chores started. Take care all!!

Norma
Old 05-22-2005, 04:51 AM
Nine Year Member

I spent Saturday preparing to be away a couple of days for a cousin's funeral. We are awaiting the son to get home from Irac so not sure when the funeral will be right now but sometime between Tue-Thur we believe.

I've been fighting with my tires loosing pressure and was told this week that they would need to be replaced before summer was out and that I shouldn't go on vaction with them. So since the funeral will be 3 hours away I called around Saturday morning to check prices and had the tires replaced then had an lube & oil change done. It is one thing to put air in the tires every couple of days around town but I didn't want to drive that distance on tires that leak air.

I did up three loads of laundry so I'm caught up again and mowed the grass. Had to borrow an extention cord to edge the yard as I couldn't find ours. So I will have to clean up the edging today and get the tomatoe plants in the ground after church.

Will finish up the turkey breast for lunch or dinner today depending if the inlaws want to get together since they were in NJ the past week.

Roberta

Closed Thread