Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:26 AM

Good Morning Everyone

Lee & JJOJ

Dh is feeling much better, we're back at work today. I agree about a ounce of prevention worth a lb. of cure. It just so goes against my frugal ways to throw food out in addition to the fact they are hungry people out there who could have used it. Next year, we will take the chicken. Love my sister but they are not the most organized folks on the planet, LOL!

Frugal Yesterday:

Stopped at VOA after cashing my mall check, picking up mil's laundry and saw they were doing 50% off entire store. I was looking around and this cabinet I had looked at back in May was still there ( it had been sold but the buyer never came back). I asked them if I could buy it, they had lost the paperwork to contact the person so I got it for Get This! $4.00! It's about a 6 foot cabinet with shelves and 2 doors on the bottom. I put it in my kitchen for now but next year will be taking it to the mall when we open a second booth.

Well that's about it for now.

Anna
Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Frugal this week is not eating out as a family, work, or day camp(kids). Trying to get dh to eat out less and come home for lunch. I need to get him up earlier in the am so he eats at home. Says he is running late and cannot eat here. I will call him from work earlier so he can get out of bed 15 minutes earlier. The rest of us are doing our part to cut out to eat expenses. It is hard for him as I have allowed him to do this for several years. He spends $50/week on food. I am trying to give him less money each week to force him to eat at home more.

We had one out to eat on Sat. for $23 for four of us. We bought our "new" minivan and were on the road. The trade in car was too small with the camp stuff to add a cooler. We spent $5 on drinks on the way home. Usually, by this time, we have spent close to $75 on out to eat. Our ds has a birthday this weekend and will have a nice out to eat. This is our tradition for the birthday person. He will chose where to go for a nice supper meal. That means no drive thru or take out. Oops! Forgot our girls night out was $15 on Friday...

There will be no further "meals" that have to be out to eat the rest of the month. I will see if we can keep our out to eat to less than $100 not including dh's "food" money. Our out to eat has averaged anywhere from $250-$400/month.

Other things are no impluse buying. Stock up with sales and coupons only. Need to set a goal for extra misc expenses to try to stay close to. Next month our minivan payments start. We need to cut about $200 more from the budget to keep on an even keel with our spending habits right now. That is, with the increase payment, to not notice it with our general bills/spending.

I hope to be able to let the others realize what we need to do to maintain our current living standards.

Have a great day everyone!

Andrea

Andrea

shoulder your cross daily
Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

well lets see..frugal today...we went and saw the fireworks l ast night, mom gave me 20 for the girls to ride rides, it was 12 each for an all you can ride arm band tho, so i got them for the girls. they rode rides till time to watch the fireworks. i also took a cooler and sodas, and sandwiches so we didnt spend any money at the fireworks excpt for the arm bands, $1 donation to the fireworks and 2.50 for a cotten candy i couldnt pass up. lol. other than that, we didnt spend the money.

today im doing the last of the laundry at moms, and getting things picked up here too.

not much else going on. a good thing, tho, my insurance co said that if they give me anything on my claim, as long as its under 2000 they will just write me a check right then, plus insted of my 250 deductibal its only going to be 100 and it wont count against me since it was an act of god, and not and act of my stupidity, altho, i guess i should have cut the trees more. anyway, hes going to be here about 2:30 this afternoon so the girls and i are going to clean it and see if there are any scratches or anything i can show more.

oh and the picture at the top of my post, is my latest family picture, well my only family picture. it cost me $2 at walmart. we got 1 11x13, 2 8x10s, 2 5x7s, 2 3.5x5 and 10 wallets plus a little strip of 4 of them im using as a book mark. i think it was a great deal. i may have to keep doing this just to keep the pictures comeing. anyway, it was our first family picture taken. hope you all have a good day and ill let you all know what the insurance guys say.

have a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, kind of frugal today. I had to take my MIL food shopping but she tokk me and the kids out to lunch first. So, that didn't cost me anything. I went to the Dollar Tree store and I picked up a few things I needed so I only spent $4.00
I bought another drying rack in Kmart. It cost $11.49 on sale but I figure what I save by drying clothes on a rack as opposed to using the dryer, thats not a bad price.

My niece gave me two books to read so that should keep me busy for about a week. i figured I will save them to read while the kids are in the pool. I do have to get back to the library. I need to pick up two other books my DD needs to read this summer for school. I am hoping they have the books because I don't feel like buying them.
Well, gotta go.. I am going to break in my new drying rack. Have a nice day.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

chuckle

Today I finished, I think, dd's dresser. I had a old one that needed something... so I sanded and painted it. I put butterflies and painted ribbons on it too! Not bad for the cost of one gallon of paint and one gallon of primer. I had the other colors. Now she wants to paint her bookshelf. Since I have the paint.... I will try to post a pic tomorrow.... need batteries for the camera.

The digital camera I bought eats batteries! I will buy different ones tommorrow.... anyone have any thoughs on the subject?

Here's a a strange frugal question! Just for fun.

What frugal tip do you refuse to do?

I won't give up papertowels.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Nine Year Member

I wont wash & reuse foil.

We went to the kids movies today and saw Racing Strips with our summer kids pass. Got set up for the garage sale Thur-Sat. Had an early sale for $2.00!

Backed into a parked car.... their insurance company said to call the police and get a report so now I have a fine to pay as well as having the auto insurance rate go up because of a claim. My van only has a chip in the paint on the bumper they have a crease in the drivers door.

Roberta
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

To answer Connie's question (and maybe this is an overshare) but I will not use reusable "feminine products."
Not for me, thanks.
I also did disposable diapers on all my kids.

Connie, are there rechargeable batteries available for your camera? If so, get 2 sets. 1 for the camera, 1 for the charger. It will be a cash outlay in the beginning but pay for itself later.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

well the ins guys were just here..on my car, 2700 damage. ouch. plus the 100 ded. on the house they arent sure yet. but theywill get back with me. heck..i only owe 3000 on the car, maybe i should just pay it off. lol..

i feel sick..oh well..at least its drivable. have a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM

Good evening all!!

Melly, thanks for asking, I am just fine now. I think the popsicle did the trick. I have gone ga-ga for Edy's Whole Fruit and Juice bars. Truly adult popsicles. The flavor is just so much more intense than the kiddie ones.

Anna, how wonderful on getting a new cabinet like that, and for $4. I am truly envious.

Frugal this week is just eating at home, sticking to my menu plan. I cook a couple of things in quantity each week - this week was turkey burgers and turkey thighs. Then I make lunch and dinner menus using them. Not always in succession, but scattered throughout the week. Tonight I took a break and made some scallops, along with a baked potato and sliced tomatoes.

I am also utilizing the quart jars I bought last year - to take iced tea to work daily. I take enough so that if it is hot when we get in, I will drink a cup of iced tea instead of my usual hot tea. I am packing the jar with those plastic ice cubes. They don't water down the tea by melting. And they are reusable.

And I am sticking to it. Breakfast can be peanut butter and butter on bread. Cheap, simple, and I like it.

Unfrugal today was my use of time. But...when the cat who hasn't been eating at all for 4 days, wants to come up and just sit on your chest, what's a mom to do??? My friends all tell me he is probably eating elsewhere, or something other than canned cat food. So I gave him 20 minutes, and then went to take my Wednesday spa treatment. The water was warm, and smelled good too. My feet got a good soak, and pumiced, they smell good now too! Ha, ha.

Ladies I have to go, I have bills to pay, coupons to clip and get ready to send to Carol Ann, and I bought enough Dove products the other day to get the Dove tote. So I have to fill out the form. As soon as I got home, I paperclipped the form to the cash register receipt and put them in my coupon box so I know right where it is.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frugal lately, not much, so I haven't been posting. I will be gone for about 11 days, so will have a lot to catch up on when I return.

Happy frugalling!

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!

Closed Thread