Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lee, I am so sorry, sweetie. I don't blame you at all. I would be feeling the same way, for sure. I will be praying hard for your husband to find work soon so that it won't have to come to that.
Frugal last night was ds brought home bags and theater type boxes of candy from work that they were going to throw away. A lot of it was the low carb kind-really good, but I probably shouldn't be eating too many since the fat and calories in them are still pretty high. That was a fun thing, though. Even though they were near the expiration date, they were still fine. Other than that, we are just mostly staying home this weekend and doing family stuff. Take care and Happy Independence Day, everyone!
Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Lee, have you tried going through a temp agency? Some of them may lead you to a place that wants to try a person out before they hire them full-time and perm. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Assistant Moderator

Lee, I am praying for you and your dh. Hugs sweetie.

Have you ever heard of spending money to save money? That is what this week has been about! Bought a different fan moter for the AC. This one uses 1/3 the electrctiy. Also makes the whole unit work better. I am having to turn the AC up now. We are freezing in here.

Ran to the city last night to look at cars. We bought a Explorer and a pickup. The Explorer is a 96 and the truck a 95. They are in almost mint condition. The price was less than the blue bool value. These will last us for at least ten years. By the time they are paid off, our dd who is on SSI will be over 18 so... we can save money. With SSI you have to jump thru their hoops... meaning you can only have so much cash and or savings. Dh and I spent so much time together on the road, we dicussed how to work on the buget. We didn't get the loan thru the credit union but through a bank. The interest is higher but we found out we don't have a credit rating at all. We have been paying cash for everything. So BIL suggested to us to keep this loan for about seven months, then refinance thru the credit union. The only problem we had was.... we drove the van to the city. Then we needed three drivers to get three cars home. Meet halfway today to get the truck. It was so easy, I think we are still in shock. Also dh has decided to lose weight with me. I have a book from the library... The Ab Diet. Just good eating habits and excerse. I think this is the one we will do, to a point.

Unfrugal was waking up with kidney infection today. I am so thankful that there was some antibiotic here. I don't know why dd didn't finish it. Between that, AZO, cranberry juice and water I am feeling better. That is why I have been so bloated latey.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lee..I will keep you in my prayers.

Temp. finally went down. It is so nice out today. It's 81 and sunny. turned off A/C and opened all my windows. Also put the laundry out to try. It dried so fast because of the sun and no humidity.
Went food shopping last night. This supermarket price war around here is great! I spent about $20 more than I usually do, but I got a ton of food as well as things to bring to the three BBQ's I have this weekend. I got a whole watermelon for $2.99, a large bag of strawberries for free, and a cantaloupe(sp?) for free. I figured I will cut them all up and make a fruit salad for one BBQ. I also got cake mix and frosting for .99 each. I am going to make cupcakes for the other two BBQ's I am going to. I have to admit that my DH is getting into shopping in more than one supermarket. At first he complained but when he saw how much I save plus all the things we can get on sale he doesn't mind going at all. He has even started asking me if I cut on the store coupons in the paper! What a turn around he made.
I finally caught up on my bills. With Dh being out of work for awhile we got behind on some bills.But I think we are good now. We are trying to refinance our mortgage. A friend of ours is a mortgage broker and he said he can get us a better rate. Hopefully if it goes through it will lower our payment a bit. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, gotta go get dinner started. Have a great 4th everyone.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Happy 4th of July Everyone

Just wanted to share our "free fireworks" with you all. These we watched from our front yard.

Anna
Attached Images

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 07-03-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:51 AM

Lee

I am so sorry to hear that things aren't getting better but we are all here for you so keep your chin up. I know it's going to be scary stepping back out in the job market but I'm sure you'll do just fine. We have a lady who just started working for us in the same situation. Her dh is a lobbyist, makes good money but I guess it's considered self employed so they didn't have health insurance, so she's working for us for the health benefits.

I was not very frugal at the grocery stores yesterday, way overspent my budget amount and didn't really buy any frivolties except a sticker book for my nephews birthday $11.00 600 stickers (these are the educational kind) and a new electric radio alarm clock for us ( Emerson with battery backup 8.97). I was so bummed but we should have enough for 2 weeks of meals other than buying dh his tub of cole slaw. We've made it by hand but he eats so much of it, it's just easier to buy it premade.

I now have cooking my first batch of yogurt and getting ready to put the ingredients together for granola bars. Dh is out fishing since 5 am so it's been rather nice to have the house to myself for awhile. He caught a 5 lb. catfish right away this morning. Our rivers are way to dirty( here in Columbus) to eat the fish although some folks do so he just either offers them to others fishing, if they don't want he throws them back.

I'm listening to some lady on a cooking channel making pork tenderloins she has a real nice southern drawal.

I also have done 2 loads of clothes this morning and have them hanging out on the clothesline, have a third in the wash. I've been using the vinegar rinse this week, really surprised you can't smell the vinegar.

Well ladies off to cook. Take care everyone and have a great day.

Anna
Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

osi that has to be paula dean you are listening to she is great

nothing frugal just staying at home dh is cooking since i still cant do much have a safe and happy 4th everyone

Old 07-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, everyone!
Ooh, Anna-great picture! I think that grocery store prices are going up. It's so gradual that one doesn't notice it right away. Even though you went over what you planned to spend, you probably got some great deals and won't run out of the items for a while, so it still ends up being frugal in the end, really.
Bluebird, I hope that you are feeling better soon!
DeBora, I love the picture of the dogs. They are adorable!
Frugal was picking blueberries with dh yesterday. We went in the early evening when it was much cooler. I planted myself under their sprinkler system, so I was nice and cool. lol Anyway, I now have five gallon bags in the fridge and freezer. I think that should last through the year. I need to get stuff to make jam now to give as Christmas gifts. I made apple butter last year. This year will be blueberry and also strawberry jam. Now I just need to get on the ball. Well, friends, take care and have a great day!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, that is a great pic! Check out Scenic Photos 2 for more fireworks shots--DebK has been busy!

You must have been watching Paula Deen on the cooking show. She is great. Her food is NOT for dieters in any way, shape or form But it's fun to watch someone who really enjoys cooking and eating the food. I've tried a couple of her recipes and they're quite good. There's a yummy one for baked potato topping:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...d.php3?t=11565
This makes a meal in itself and is really good.

I agree--the price of groceries does seem to be creeping up. It makes sense, with the price of oil going up, as shipping costs are higher and those will be passed down to us, of course.

I have spent the spring really filling up my pantry and freezer. This summer I am going to try to limit my grocery shopping to immediate needs including perishables & produce and beyond that, a max of $10 a week on "really good sales."
Old 07-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Yep, that has to be Paula Dean. Being from a "ya'll" state myself--I think she overdoes that a bit too much. But she has some great recipes.

DH and totally messed up the budget so badly and it will cost us. I'm out of work until the school semester begins. Since I am transferring to main campus, I have to start over by appyling for jobs again. I'm trying to budget our meals so that we can afford to get things for my trailer. I am going to have to wait until I calm down to talk to DH about his "leaving food out" and buying things we don't need, and buying too many of things that we'll never use! I guess I'm going to have to do the shopping. Then, on top of that, he loaned a neighbor money and bought a flower from charity. I normally don't have a problem with either of those. But, when we cannot afford to send DS things that he is in need of, get pictures of our new GS developed and other stuff--I get hot! We were also planning a trip to the mountains at the end of the month and now we may not be able to afford it. It would be our GDs first trip there since DD was pregnant with her. Well, I'll get off my soapbox now. lol

I love the picture. I heard that they are going to be shooting fireworks tomorrow night at the river. I may go check it out. Today I am going to work on my menu plan for a week beginning Thursday--it's going to have to be frugal.

Closed Thread