Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

not much frugal here today to report. i am making up a grocery list so that i can get some good deals on friday when i get the money to shop. buti found out today that i cant pay my car payment,and they want to get my car. i cant find a job, and my dh dont seem to want to look for one. im behind eveywhere, and im scared. but thats just how things are going for me right now.

other than that..friday i have a bunch of coupons to get really good deals and the store and think i can get a few bills paid with the support check i get then.

hope every one has a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member

Yoqurt Recipe

[QUOTE=OSI]Connie

Mine calls for something like 3 cups milk plus powdered milk and I think 1/2 cup yogurt. It makes 1 quart.

I guess I should try to find Sueanne, I may have adapted her recipe to mine... it's been over a year and my mind is fuzzy on how I did it.

Anna[/QUOTE

OSI.....Thanks for reminding me about yogurt making. I have the Cosmopolitan Yogurt maker that is electric so all I do is pour it in there and forget it.

How To make yogurt.

One quart of milk....whole, skim or skim milk made from non-fat dry milk ( follow instruction but use 1/3 cup more than directed per quart). The 1/3 cup of dry milk can be added to whole or skim milk for a creamier yogurt.

Yogurt Starter...1 heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt, available at supermarkets and of ther food stores, or yogurt you previosly made or one package if dried yogurt culture availabe at most health food stores .

Porcedure
1. Place milk in pot on stove. Heat until milk boils.
2. Cool milk until it reaches add starter level on the spoon
thermometer.
3. Add the yogurt starter to the milk in the pot, stir well.
4. Pour the milk into the 5 serving jars, snap overs on securely. Place
the jars in the yogurt maker.
5. Put on plastic cover.
6. Plug in the electric cord.

After 10 hours(it will cost you less than one cent for electricity), remove the jars and place them in the refrigerator. Allow yogurt to cool for 3-4 hours befor serving. Yougurt may be kept in the refrigerator for several weeks. Be sure to save some yogurt to use as a starter for your next batch.

I also have a Wave Yogurt Strainer for making yogurt cheese.

Yogurt Cheese is made by draining off the whey, while retaining the curds.

Yogurt Cheese is a low fat substitue for cream cheese, sour cream and whipping cream. Yogurt cheese makes delicious dips, sald dressing or low calorie cheese cakes. Yogurt cheese , either plain or flavoured, makes a tasty spread on toast, muffins or gaels. Use vanilla or fruit flavoured for a sweeter result.

Guess I will start making a batch again. They say yogurt helps you lose weight while supplying calcium our bodies need.
________
Sueanne

Old 06-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ericka, I'm so sorry. I hope things get better for you.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

Guess I will start making a batch again. They say yogurt helps you lose weight while supplying calcium our bodies need.

Me too! I have never made the yogurt cheese but may have to try some.

Frugal today... we are on a roll! I had bought a pair of shorts for dd at a thrift store, they had velcro instead of a shank and a button hole. They won't stay fastened so I ripped off the velcro added a button and a button hole. The button hole was interesting. I am using my moms machine without any manual. But they are fixed! A nice pair of shorts for less than .50 and some of my time. It helps since I am in a sewing mood.

Ds had been given a riding lawn mower. Then FIL gave him the rider he has had but hadn't run for years. Ds started working on the bigger one of the two today. Took parts off one put them on the other maching and TA DA......... he just went downtown to mow the vets memorial lot on the rider that he fixed. How cool is that?

That money saved will help since I need a new swimsuit badly. The ones have I have NO support at all. I will hit WM tomorrow, thought they had some with a underwire bra...... OH,,, DS has a interview with wm in the am. I am really praying about a pick up now! If he has to drive the van then I am without a car to drive. I have a good feeling..... everything will fall into place.

I cant find a job, and my dh dont seem to want to look for one. im behind eveywhere, and im scared.

Been there too.... I am praying for you....Wasn't your dh working with salvage metals?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:49 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

{{Ericka}} Hang in there, sweetie. I'm praying for you and yours. Believe me, I know how you feel!! When I look at my situation head-on, I start to shake and can't seem to stop. I tried to talk to dh about a (the impending, I think!) divorce--explaining that we don't need lawyers, we can get a mediator and come to an agreement between ourselves and just file the papers. He refuses to even discuss it. I really don't want things to get ugly and nasty--right now we are getting along, and neither of us is out to screw the other, and he knows we're both miserable. I know the vows were for better or worse, richer or poorer, etc. But things have deteriorated since then, lol!!

Anyways--frugal today is making out a grocery list and figuring approx how much I'll spend. I will not take extra $$ to the store for Extras. I also am making a menu for our party at the end of July--the trick is to guess how many people will come. I usually make things that are easily frozen/reheated for leftovers--and will probably do it again. I usually end up with at least a week's worth of meals!!

I love kitchen gadgets--my favorites are my crockpots, my roaster oven, and my blender and food processor. The bread machine is right up there, too. My least favorite is the quesadilla maker dh bought me for Christmas. I asked for a tortilla press and he couldn't find one, so he compromised. I don't have many little hand-held gadgets--I'm usually satisfied with the way my knives chop and slice, though I will admit they were expensive.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Sueanne

Thanks so much for the recipe wish mine were electric start instead of having to cook on the stove first, Ugh! I've read you can also put it in a coffee thermos (glass lined ones) but I don't have a extra one to spare.

Ericka

I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you are facing... I was wondering what was up with Joe since you haven't mentioned him lately.

Mrs. Maniac

I am also sorry to hear about your upcoming divorce but having seen the trials you've been through in the past couple of years that I've been on here, I can't say as how I blame you for throwing in the towel.

Take care everyone.

Anna
Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ericka, I know what you mean and understand. Plus right now jobs are hard to come by here in So. IL. Have you asked for an extension? They may give you an extra month or two? Wish I could help. I don't even know of anyone hiring right now in your area. I'll keep my ears open though for any word on jobs coming available. How far are you from Mt. Vernon? Maybe Continental Tire, either for you or Joe?

Mrs. Maniac, sorry to hear about the divorce troubles. I went thru the friend of the family and STILL owe money over it, with a cut because I was a friend of the family! It's ridiculous but easy payment plans. Good luck on the whole proceedings.

Frugal for me tonight, my brother came down from Chicago to visit with my parents, get on mom's case for not eating, so he's treating us all to dinner, my kids too. So no cooking for me tonight!!!

Take care all - and Snowmoonelk, where's my rain?????

Lisa
Old 06-29-2005, 05:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone...Erika....I can really understand what you are going through. My DH lost his business about a month ago. He finally started his new job but we lost a lot of money because of the business and we are behind on a lot of bills. It's great that he is working but he lives in the world of denial about our financial situation. We have no savings left and we can barely pay our bills. We had a huge fight about this the other night. His way of discussing things is to yell then just not answer me. It drives me NUTS!!! Then he has the nerve to ask me why I am so cranky. Men...can't live with them....(whatever..LOL)

Was pretty frugal today. I did spend a little money but not that bad. I had to return a gift my dd#3 got for her birthday but they had some summer t-shirts on sale (very cheap). I did spend $20 out of my pocket but got a ton of T-shirts. I figure it's not a waste because with 3 girls someone will wear them at one time or another.
I am clipping coupons tonight because I want to make my grocery list tomorrow. There are tons of store coupons in the newspaper. Tomorrow I am going to try to bake a little. It is supposed to be around 81 so I figured I will open the windows will I bake so the house doesn't get hot.
Well, have a great night all!

Jackie...Mom to 3 great girls!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I keep looking at yogurt makers. Right now I use my crockpot. It's simple, but I really like the idea of dump it and forget it til it's done!!

Thank you all for your kind words about dh--it's not carved in stone that we're divorcing. Believe me, I'm done. But with no money, no job, and no place to go, I'm pretty much stuck here. It's not awful--he doesn't have any addictions, and he's not physically abusive to me or the kids, and now that we've agreed the "marriage" is over, we're getting along a lot better. The thing that cracks me up is the fact that he still insists I sleep in bed with him. I think he's afraid he'll lose the kids completely if he should agree to a divorce, though I keep telling him that's not the case. The kids would be devastated, and it's not like he poses a danger to them!! So don't get me wrong--he is a wonderful man and a decent father. He's just a lousy husband lol!

Had a frugal dinner tonight: blt's. I had a loaf of hm bread, plus lettuce and the first tomato out of the garden. The only unfrugal part was the bacon--I had bought a box of the ready-to-eat bacon for $3.79. 15 slices. I looked at the ounces, which was 2-something?? and cringed. but the pounds of bacon in the meat dept were almost all fat, no meat in sight, so I splurged. Now I'm hooked lol! I figured it out and by the time I cook all the fat off the bacon to get to the meat, I'll only have 2 ounces anyway!! And it's cheaper--the cheapest bacon they had was $4.09. It's not like we eat a lot of it, anyway, so I think it may be worth the expense!

OSI--your post about drying the herbs in the car reminded me of the time I helped my sister clean the smell of a hit skunk out of her car. We washed the outside about a thousand times lol--then used vinegar in her steam cleaner for the inside, followed by lavender water. I put sprigs of lavender in the back window, the front window, and hanging from the mirror. Her car was aromatherapy heaven lol--and it did get rid of the skunk-smell. You could smell her car from across the street! She was pregnant at the time, so really needed to kill the smell.
Though now I know how to dry my herbs cleanly, outside, without the critters getting to them! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:20 PM

Good evenign all!!

Frugal today was letting the boss buy the pizza for lunch. Unfrugal was eating it. For some reason it just didn't sit well. He felt the same way too, even though the other 2 people in my office were just fine with it.

And that was it. Today though I did manage to get a coupon envie out to Carol Ann.

Dinner was horrible. I got talked into going to Denny's. The food was mediocre and the service was awful. I would have been truly been better off eating at home.

Well ladies, better go for now. It is late, and I have to get some sleep. Friday is coming, and that is all I can hold on to.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread