Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:14 AM

Good morning all!!

Not much exciting going on here. Just the same old thing, laundry in cold water, taking lunches, etc.

Anna - do you have molds for baby shoe candles? I saw some this morning on the news, pink ones and blue ones. Maybe with baby powder scent?

To all who are moving - good luck on that. I do not want to mover, ever again. When I was a kid and my father was in the navy, we moved all the time. I absolutely hated it. I have been in my little tiny house here for 15 years - 5 renting, and 10 owning. As much as I complain, I dont' want to have to move.

Well ladies, got to go. I have set goals for each day about how much I want to accomplish on this afghan. Last night I was still working on yesterday's goal 1/2 past my normal bedtime. I don't want to happen again this evening.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barbzky, I know you're right

about that it's just not easy finding any place that understands your child or will treat them them similiarly to normal children. You either accept them but treated them differently or badly let alone those that just refuse to deal with them at all. I wish there were more programs for special needs kids but even in some larger cities there isn't much for them. Being a parent of a special needs isn't easy already without being able to find someone who will watch your child so you can work and will treat them fairly.

I really do hope that where we're going in Clinton Township or the surrounding areas there will be someplace for her. My friend has two special needs kids, both are ADHD and one is also Deaf, and her youngest isn't diagnosised as anything yet. She has found positive experiences for her kids, so hopefully I will as well.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member

I forgot yesterday I rescued a shelving unit from the trash. Will put it in the play room when it gets organized.

When I went to the grocery today they were still running the b1g1f on Body for Life meal bars so I ended up getting 9 meal bars for $.39 total instead of 5 free. I picked up 2 free Suave shampoos for the donation box. The kids will be happy I got a box of Eggo toaster swirlz for $.50 and the register spit out another coupon so I'll go back and get another box for $.50 tomorrow. I found steak knives in the clearance bin so now I have 8 new steak knives for $3.96.

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the store and found a lidded picnic basket for $1.00, two handled large basket for $1.00, 6 spools of ribbon for $1.50, 2 bags of hair bows & bands for $1.50, 3 shirts 1 shorts 1 capri jeans for DD1 for $1.25, and a playdoh BBQ set for $1.00. Stopped at Goodwill because I ruined my good jeans on Wednesday when I fell wripping the knees. I found 2 pair of petite jeans for $9 for me, and 4 pairs of shorts for DD2 for $7. The Goodwill stores in my area have raised their prices and can't compete with garage sales.

Roberta
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi everyone, I'm FINALLY checking in. Work has been crazier than usual, not sure why, and mom's surgery, hospital stays. The woman is still in the hospital, she hasn't gone home in 3 weeks! They did transfer her to another hospital for rehab, but they were more like a nursing home than rehab, her surgeon found out what pitiful shape she was in, blood count low, infection around surgical site, chest cold, and he had a fit and moved her back to the hospital where her bypass was performed. She's starting to pick up a bit. Maybe they'll spring her in a week or so. Thanks for all the prayers around her, it only was a single bypass, when the doctor got in, the other arteries were functioning well, other than that main one that he had to repair.

Moving, ugh, I did go see a loan officer about possibly having a bank be crazy enough to pre-qualify me for a loan, full pre-qual as in I've done all the hoop jumping, getting letters from former creditors, the divorce decree, my letter of explanation. It's in the hands of the underwriter now. Just waiting to see what he says. IF I get approval then I'm house hunting. I'm actually going to ask my current landlord if he would consider selling me the one I'm in, it has 4 bedrooms, which I need since my 18 yrear old is moving back in after graduation from HS on 5/24. I won't say anything to him till I get the okay from the mortgage company.

I did manage to get a really great deal this past weekend. I had gone to Walmart on Sat to look at comforters for my ds's bed, he needed a new set. I wasn't paying $15 to $40 for a new set. There was an ad in the paper for a Sunday garage sale so the two younger girls came with me and the first thing I spied was a comforter, in the colors I wanted, beige/hunter green/navy blue for $10.00. I had all of $8.00 on me so I asked if they'd take it, of course, it was an hour till they were to close. Got it home and it had 2 sets of each, fitted sheets, flat sheets, pillow cases, as well as the comforter, all in fantastic condition! I LOVE GARAGE SALES!

Alright gang, back to work for me. I'll check in more often, or try to at least!

Lisa
Old 05-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal today was filling up my nearly empty gas tank with gas that was only $1.89 per gallon. I can't believe that seems like a great price to me these days!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just had job interview

I think it went well. I didn't know what hours or rate of pay they were hiring for. It will be nice to have more money for my move but it may cause a problem again with daycare. The hours are 9 to 6 and if I put her in the program that's $75 a week at her school, it would be a $1 for every minute late, that would be about $30 a day assuming I would be late coming from across town at about 30 minutes, maybe more. The other program which is $10 a week or $20 for before/aftercare is only open until 5:30. Then there's Girls Inc. which would be about $3 extra daily for her to be watched until 6 and that would be $15 weekly but I'm not sure they would want to watch her for a few minutes longer than that. So, that's the situation. I found out about the job on either Monday or Tuesday.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member

Gas is down to $1.99 here and I was debating on using my $.10 off a gallon coupon from Kroger's to fill up now. But since I have over half a tank I decided to wait until next week to use my coupon and fill up then. Watch the prices go up over the weekend and stay high, would be my luck.

Roberta
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I can't believe everyone finding gas under $2 per gallon! It's still 2.24 here.

It's wet and dreary here, again. So the clothes went in the dryer. Just 2 years ago, all I used was the dryer. I never hung clothes on the line. I also didn't grow my own vegetables or do any bulk cooking, or send for rebates.

I'm doing all that now because of all the inspiration and ideas I get on this thread. It got me wondering how everyone else has benefited from participating here?

There are still some things I have to work on (like using coupons), but I've come a long way in 2 years.

Thanks to everyone here

Old 05-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Crochet2

I havenít seen those yet, what a cool idea though. I have the baby powder scent already in stock. I have looked at some baby flower containers and thought about filling them with the wax and scent. Last night I made strawberry jelly rolls, they smell divine! Itís sugar cookie and strawberry. To get around this patent, I do mine a little differently. Itís actually 2 layers of wax, a little tricky to work with, so one layer is cookie scented, then the other layer is strawberryÖ then you roll them up like a cinnamon roll. Dh is really proud of these, more so than anything Iíve made.

Leasmom

Did you see Barbzyís suggestion about the bike rack? I had one but got rid of it last year. That would help on your trip a lot I would think. Gosh, I canít believe rent is so expensive in Michigan. Ours averages around $600.00 to $800.00 here for a decent neighborhood.

Our gas is $1.88 this week.

VickiLynn

That's a real good question.

1. I'm cooking more meals at home, less ordering out pizza's.
2. Hanging clothes up more often, especially when I found out the dryer eats more electricity than anything else in your house.
3. Bill paying is easier as I'm more focused on it than I used to be and better budgeting.

Can't say I've gotten rich but have learned alot.

Anna
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

Good news! Our Explorer will NOT be totaled. I feel so much better. I really hate car shopping.

I feel I have not been very frugal lately. But our medical bills the last two years at times have been $800 -$1000 a month so it was all I could do to keep some type of food in the house and the phone and electric bills paid. My dh and son's jeans were rags.... I am slowly rebuilding our supply of clothes and other household items. I am still buying lots of it at thrift stores and yard sales so I am still frugal. Today I bought Sara Lee pound cake for $1.69 at the day old bakery instead of $4.25 at the grocery store. Like I would ever pay that for a cake. LOL I spluged on myself today.... I am so stressed out I almost had a car accident. I must have looked bad since my son didn't say a word and the man I amost (gulp) hit, keep patting my hand telling me that everything was okay just calm down. So I thought some stress relieve was in order. I had my nails done. $6.00 at the beauty school. I may do that once a month or so.

Closed Thread