Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I haven't been too frugal lately. Mom and I drove 2 hours 1 way to shop for things for my brother's upcoming wedding. DD is the flower girl, and mom has to have a nice outfit as mother of the groom...etc.

But I only got things I needed, new bras, a pair of jeans, and decided I'd wear the outfit I had at home that I bought last year, so that's frugal, and it looks nice.

Anyhow, I've committed myself to a monthly allowance of 100.00 to buy mine and dd's needs and wants. The rest is going into savings for a down payment on a house of my own. Living here is nice, but I need our own place badly.

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hmm, frugal this weekend?? Friday night went to St. Louis to see Toby Keith, the tickets were free, my cousin won them thru the radio station, lawn seats and the concert was fantastic! Shooter Jennings played for 15 mins, Lee Ann Womack performed for 1/2 hour and Toby played for almost 2 hours! He's just awesome.

Sat. spent $45 at the roller rink for Meg's 9th birthday party, they all had a good time. She had her friends overnight, not that bad, had some snacks on hand.

Sunday I baked Meg's birthday cake, decorated it, saved $$$ there by not buying it. We worked outside, lawn work, watering my impatiens in my flower pots, took the birthday cake over to my parent's house so mom could be part of Meg's birthday celebration. Gave Dad his card, helped him a little bit outside as he spends his days waiting on mom as she's still confined to bed. We ate cake there, came home, got the kids ready for bed and that was pretty much it, not much else and that was fine.

The girls are about finished with their library books so we'll go tomorrow night and check out new ones, maybe take out a movie or two for them as I unhooked cable, had it disconnected. Just can't afford it plain and simple.

Hope you all had a great weekend and VickiLynn, that's good to hear your SIL was feeling good enough to enjoy herself. I'll keep her in my prayers as well.

Take care!

Lisa
Old 06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good job, Chris, in getting back into bringing your lunches again. If I were working, I think eating out would probably be a major temptation.
Ericka, I hope you get your catfish today!
Becky, best wishes to you in saving for a house. It sounds like you are off to a very good start.
Frugal for this week is eating out of the freezer until I go shopping on Friday. Today, I have been doing laundry and cleaning. Leftovers for lunch. Take care ladies, and have a wonderful afternoon!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OOOOOOHHHH Toby Keith and Leann Womack. I am literally green with envy. Especially free tickets. My cow. LOL

Hope you had a great time.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Sunday’s Frugalness: No money was spent.

It was dh’s mothers birthday… she didn’t want a cake but said she’d like to have a blackberry pie. So Saturday dh went to a pie store called “Just Pies” and bought her a large blackberry pie, made fresh that morning for $11.99. He also bought her flowers for her front porch. I gave her one of those “Cake Candles” I make, along with some scented glycerin soap I had made, a small strawberry candle and one of those “Potpouri Hoops” we talked about last week that Sueanne showed a picture of. I went to Joann’s Saturday and bought the lace I had forgotten, it was on sale 3 yards for 99 cents (this is the string lace stuff) so I got out the glue gun Sat. evening and glue it on, put on a matching silk ribbon to hang and it turned out pretty nice.

After we went home, dh finally got motivated to put my rose bushes in… the ones I got for a dollar a piece before mothers day, lol! Some had sprouted leaves in the bag, hopefully they’ll all continue to grow. We took a nap in the afternoon, then sat outside in the evening listening to a talk show on the radio while I crocheted another dish cloth.

Just called the mall and the second crochet purse I took down finally sold. Sales have been a little slow with all the high school, college graduations and June weddings but hopefully now that all the celebrations are over people will start touristing.

I made up one “His Grace” candle this weekend, wanted to experiment with it a bit and burned it in the bathroom with the door shut so I could get the best scent throw… very unusual but smells good. The one titled “Lick Me All Over” sounds a bit naughty so to tone that down a bit I put pictures of lollipops (the big round ones with swirls) on the label and the scent discription- A yummy blend of fruit and candy scent, so folks won’t be offended by it.

Tonight we are going to our first “Town Hall” meeting for our area. The 4 unit apartment building across the street from us the new owner is trying to rezone for some kind of auto storage place and we don’t want any new developments on our street, we have too much already which I think is why we’re getting rats. They have also invited us a licensed crafters to join our area’s Small Business Organization so I guess we’ll be checking into that as well. It only cost $25.00 a year to join and they have meetings once a month or you can read the minutes by email.

Well that’s about it for today. I’m hoping we can go through Day II of no money was spent here today.

Anna
Old 06-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had a great time!!!! Hollered, screamed, cat called, danced, swayed and was hoarse most of the next day but boy was it worth it! Thanks!!!

Lisa
Old 06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OMGosh, what to do while the board is down. I guess I'll just be BORED> LOL

Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

No money was spent today! We stayed home as DS still has an ear infection (is on round two of antibiotics). We will go to the library tomorrow or Thursday as they have crafts for the children to make for free on those days.

Used the rinse water from the dishes to water the flowers.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, the last few days have definitely NOT been frugal!!

DDs couldn't wait for DH to put the pool up over the weekend. So he went ahead and put it up Thursday night. Finally got it done around 8:30-9:00. I was a little worried about it "rolling" as we have an uneven yard, but DH did build the one end up with sand. So, he got in it for me to show me it was safe.(DH is not a little man) He let himself fall backward into the pool. All was good.

When he was ready to leave for work, he went out to check the pool. (As our pools in the past have been "vandalized" simple pulled plug). Not this time, someone cut a huge hole in the side. We ended up spending the entire afternoon making an attempt to rescue it, to no avail.

We bought a pool liner thinking that would fix it, but it would have been too dangerous. So as not to disappoint our DDs we went out early Saturday morning and purchased a new pool. We ended up spending the majority of Saturday, and Sunday night peeking out our back window in the wee hours of the night.

Yesterday, DH went out and bought motion sensors, and a security camera.

The pool liner we purchased was not a complete loss, as we use it now for a pool cover, it covers the entire pool.

The thing that stinks about this, is we are positive we know who did this to our pool. We just can't prove it!!!! Bad part is we are positive the one who did it is not a kid, but an adult!!!! All the kids on this street are more than welcome in our pool, which they all know, and all of them have been in it in the past years! Only a handful of people knew about the pool. Which were four adults, and three kids!!!

Oh, and it happened between the hours of 10PM and 3AM!! And whoever did it also took the chance of our teen kids coming in at 11:30pm!! I am so furious about this!!

Honestly, I hope "she" tries to do it again, as we will have it on video!! And we are going to prosecute to the fullest extend. And get our money back for the first pool.

Sorry to ramble!!! Thanks for listening.

Only frugal for me is eating from home. And saving gas money by not driving to the pool. Except for DD's swimming lessons, which are free.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

oh my karen that is awful i wish you could prove who donw that that is just evil at work. hope this one stays ok did you get the same size and do the kids like it?

Closed Thread