Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Emmalee, I'm glad to hear that the game is good. I might look around for one of those on good sale, it would be good rainy-day fun for my Big Kids.

Norma, thanks for the heads-up on the Arrid. Because you mentioned it I checked for a coupon before I went to the store. Only had one, so I only bought one--but I got back a "save 75 cents on your next order" and since I only paid 24 cents for the deodorant, I figure the store just gave me 51 cents.
I have to see if I can get to ACME today and take advantage of the 3-day deals that end today. They have a great price on the drinkable yogurt too, which my kids like.

I can tell it's summer--lots of fresh produce in my shopping basket this morning. BUT it didn't break the bank and I'd much rather have the kids snacking on strawberries or baby carrots than on chips.

DH and I are wondering if we need a new mattress. Our old set is 9 years old now and we are not sleeping well. Today we took the time to take the whole bed apart, rotate the box spring and flip and rotate the mattress. We will sleep on it a month before we decide if it still needs replacement. Anyone have a clue on how long a mattress should last? DH is a BIG guy so I'm sure that will have an effect on the lifespan. In the meantime we are watching for sales & trying to plan for the possible expense.

Snowmoonelk, I'm glad to hear it's not getting too hot yet. My dad will be riding a bicycle across Ireland and the hot weather really does him in.
Breakfast, lunch, tea, supper, dinner....that's a lot of meals. Do you cook a full meal for all of those or are some of those more of a "snack?"
Old 06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

Quote:
Anyone have a clue on how long a mattress should last?
I don't know... ten or fifteen years I would guess. We bought a memory foam mattress for dd at WalMart. Here is a link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3380079

I can't believe how comfy it is. If I didn't have a 'new' mattress I would be saving my pennies for one for my bed.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

RobertaD, no it is central air. The guy who installed just didn't do a great job at it. We already had to have someone out just to get it working. And now this to top it off.
barbszy, it is a great game. Our DD plays it really well, she is 8. She just loves having the game talk to her.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member

Mattresses Life Span

barbszy..... I have my mattress over fifteen years and it still feels good. It is important to flip the mattress and rotate it too. A mattress pad helps absorb presperation extending its life. It is a good idea to air the mattress and vacuum to get rid of dust mites. Guess you will know when it is not comfortable any more that you need a new one. Every brand is different. I have a Springaire which was a very expensive at the time. Guess the extra cost paid for itself.
_______
Sueanne

http://www.lebeda.com/faq's.htm

Last edited by Sueanne; 06-13-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone

Sueanne

That’s a beautiful one (potpouri holder) and the thought actually did cross my mind to put a silk flower inside. Is yours inside or outside of it? I made a couple up last night, used a scarf (burgandy) and kitchen curtains ( butterflies) to experiment with before cutting into the beautiful material I bought at Joann’s (lace on sale from prom season). Off white and a really pretty purple. Will be looking for more bargains like that after wedding season( June). The hoops were pretty cheap too… 89 cents each regardless of size. I forgot to buy the ribbon so will have to go back next weekend to get that unless I can find some at my house. I have a whole box of ribbon but it’s either too wide or metallic for Christmas. I probably have more ribbon somewhere in the house?

Futureteacher

Good job on getting back to taking your lunch to work… I know it’s a hassle especially on Mondays in our house but I trudge through it. Sometimes if I get motivated on Sunday to try to prepackage stuff for the week, like dh and I take a bag of mini pretzels each day, so I package those up for the week. Dh takes slimfast powder (we mix with dry milk) for his lunch each day so I package those up and put in my desk on Monday. And he takes his own Pepsi to work in a cooler so I try Sunday night to put his Pepsi in the cooler, less steps Monday mornings.

3girlsmom

Good job on getting the clothesline put up and it only takes a hour of nagging to get your dh to something? Maybe you should start a thread and teach us how you did that? Dh can procrastinate for weeks! Mothers Day roses were to be planted… roses have been moved to three different spots, still in their containers and growing new leaves!

Joesbaby

You have certainly put to good use all that deer meat you all got last fall…. Good job! Sorry I can’t help with the AC question, dh keeps us freezing and our electric bill runs pretty high all the time even without me using the dryer- I shudder to think what it would be with using it all the time. We have 2 deep freezers and 2 refrigerators running all the time and of course the AC.

LoriMae

Mine isn’t real strong, I guess I got lucky and got it just right. It burned good and wasn’t overpowering although I do like a strong scent. The fragrances I used are pretty light naturally… Moonlight Path (Bath & Body Works) and Cool Water.

Anna
Old 06-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
Good Afternoon Everyone

Sueanne

That’s a beautiful one (potpouri holder) and the thought actually did cross my mind to put a silk flower inside. Is yours inside or outside of it?

Anna
OSI......The Flowers are on the outside. Have it hanging on the Bathroom wall over the Towel Bar. Have two butterfly plaques on each side. Think it will be a good seller.
_______
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2005, 02:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I guess Flea Markets are something different here in Antigue Alley, PA. A flea market is strictly antiques. A set up with people setting up stands behind their cars is a swap meet!!

Joesbaby, if you have a window AC, keep a listen to how often the compressor "kicks" down on one temperature versus the other. If it seems to "kick" down more often on one temp than the other, than no it is not the same electricty, but, if it seems to "kick" down the same, than yes it is the same electricity being used. Hope that makes sense!!

Snowmoonelk, welcome to the Frugal Thread here at FC! This is just like a second family!

Barbszy, not sure how long a mattress should really last. Our is going on 16 years and it is going strong. Now, I do "flip in the fall, and spin in the spring"!!! This may be making the life of it longer.

EMMJEAN, I would be a little more than upset about the CA unit!!

Not much frugal going on here. Just the basics, oh, but, I was able to let DH at home while grocery shopping on Friday night. That saved on the grocery bill!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy - We bought a new mattress a little over two years ago. It was a really good mattress, and it's worn out! Yup, my fault. I was soo heavy before I lost weight that I wore it out. We tried rotating it and flipping it, and I still kept waking up with a sore back. We even tried putting a board under my side. Sometimes you can replace the box spring and that will help, but ours was still in good shape. My dh didn't have any problem with the old mattess, but we bought a new one last week. It's a Select Comfort mattress. It's made with air chambers and foam with a pillow top that zips on. It came in two boxes and we put it together. It has two controls, and I love it! Yup, no more sore back, and every part of it is replaceable if it wears out!

I hung a load of whites out on the line today. We went to the library and the video store too. We can get 3 free kids video's at the video store, and free popcorn too. We also went to the school for the kids reading books for the week.

Well, gotta run!

Carol

Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mom2-4, I am very upset about the CA. The repair man was here already. But he couldn't find the leak. He will be back tomorrow. I know this is going to sound bad but he was so patronizing about it all. How he couldn't fix the leak if he couldn't find it. And then when he was leaving he had the nerve to tell me my house was a manufactured home. And they usually didn't deal with manufactured homes. I had to argue with him. I mean I only watched my house being built from the ground up. He just wouldn't believe me. I felt really crummy after he left. Sorry for venting.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Emmjean--
Sorry to hear about your repairman--it's so frustrating when you know what you are talking about and they just won't listen! As if you were dreaming watching your own house being built!! Good luck when he returns!

I got myself motivated to pack lunch again today--a lunchmeat sandwich, cheese crackers and a yogurt. Plus a snack of grapefruit for the afternoon when the vending machines start calling my name! Seems like once I get started bringing lunch again, I stick with it for a while! It's tough when I get sidetracked though! I've still been bringing oatmeal for breakfast every day. Very inexpensive breakfast and good for the heart too! I ran Race for the Cure over the weekend and afterwards they were giving out samples of Kellogg's Special K vanilla almond cereal, so that will be a nice (free!) treat for the weekend for breakfast. My entry fee for the race was covered by the company I work for since they are a sponsor. I also did some grocery shopping at Aldi's last night--got out of there for about $50, so that wasn't too bad.
I did end up running the air over the weekend on Saturday night and through last night, but it's cooling down here today, so I've turned it off again. Hopefully those couple of days won't affect the gas and light bill TOO much!
Guess that's about it for now. Have a great day everyone!

Closed Thread