Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome Snowmoonelk! I like that name.
I understand charity shops as I think they are like our thrift shops or Goodwills, but I don't know what car-boot sales are.

I had to go to Meijers this morning. I dropped my film off and my mother's as developoing was 2.99 for doubles. They also had a clearance sale in the back and I picked up a pair of boy's jeans for $1.00, crocheted shawl for DD and her cousin for $1.00, a dress for 3.50 and an art kit for dd's upcoming birthday for 4.00. They had large eggs for .38.

This evening was not frugal as we worked our church picnic and of course DH bought something to eat there and the kids had to spend money too! But is was all for a good cause.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-12-2005, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Snowmoonelk and welcome! I'm sure you will love it here at FC.
I bet it's lovely where you live. What's the weather like for you at this time of year? My dad will be visiting Ireland for a week at the end of the month and he is hoping that it doesn't get too hot.

Melly, I had to laugh....I think I'm in the same boat sometimes.

Today after church we are probably going swimming. We belong to a neighborhood pool. Normally I try to keep it frugal by bringing our snack & drinks. We can bring anything as long as it's not in a glass bottle. We do treat the kids to ice cream when they pass their swim test, though.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 AM

A car boot sale is where if I remember right everyone sets up sort of like our flea markets and all they have to sell is sold out of the trunk (american term) of their cars.

Snowmoonelk- do I have that right?

I know you are probably puzzled by our term "flea market" no we don't sell fleas there. Wonder who ever came up with such a silly term? It's like a huge Yard Sale or Car Boot sale except we set up tables beside or behind our cars/trucks.

I am going out to the dollar store today to look for Potpouri. I want to make my own but want to experiment with a craft idea I got on a website where you take netting, put potpouri in between 2 layers of it and hook it together with a embroidery hoop and tie a string (satin) threw it and hung it up.

If it works well, then I will buy the stuff to make potpouri. It takes about 3 weeks to make scented potpour but I want to experiment before buying more stuff. I'm also going to the thrift store to look for embroidery hoops.

I have the netting here I think in lavender color. Better go look for it.

Anna
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 AM

Good morning all!!

I was at the ShorRite this morning (I mention this store for Barbzy's sake as she has the same stores that I do). I got 4 Arid deodorants that were on sale for $.99 each. I had 2 coupons for $1.25 off 2. Not bad, that made them $.37 each. Then to my surprise, I got catalina coupons for $.75 off my next purchase - 4 of them - from the Arid company. That means that they paid me $.38 each to take them out of the store. I am thrilled.

Snowmoonelk - we are all excited that you have joined us. Hopefully you will be able to share some different ideas with our group.

I have already cut up the pineapple, and discovered that a normal size one gives you about a quart. I have never used any sort of container that had I noticed this before.

I also cut up peppers and onions, put them into 2 gallon freezer bags and added lemon pepper marinade. I am making steak, cole slaw and corn on the cob for dinner. The corn is on sale this time of year, and the store had cole slaw mix or sald mix on sale, so instead of making potato salad, I decided on cole slaw. It will keep the house cooler. Later this week, it is supposed to cool off (like down to 72) instead of the 90's, so maybe I will boil some potatoes then. I don't like to microwave the potatoes I use for potato salad. And I like mashed boiled eggs in mine and usually cook the eggs along with the potaotes. There will be quite a few peppers and onions left over, and I will have veggie sandwiches with them later this week.

I took my car to have its oil changed yesterday. There were 5 yard sales along the way. I stopped at them all on the way back. I got quite a few dishes that match my Corelle set for just $5. Somehow, it seems that I have at least 2 friends that have the same sets. I will contact them to see if anyone needs any of the extras. I will share. I also needed a tree limb saw ($2.50), I got a large decorated clay pot for the yard for $2, a wine caraffe that my sister collects was just $.10, and a very tiny williamsburg candle for just $.25. I was tempted, but resisted the urge to buy some of the cookbooks I saw.

Well ladies, have a lot of laundry and cleaning to do - better get to it.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 06-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Snowmoonelk--Welcome and howdy from Texas. The people on this site are wonderful, they have some great advice and ideas.

I've got to go my ds (14y o) is kicking me off the computer. He thinks I have been on long enough.

melly
Old 06-12-2005, 11:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everybody! Snowmoonelk...I love that name.
Pretty good day around here. Still hot but everybody is in the pool cooling off. They say it is supposed to cool down during the middle of the week. I hope so. After going to Church this morning went ot the Dollar Tree Store and bought rope to put up a clothes line in the basement. I was shocked that dh put it up as soon as we got home. I usually have to nag him for about an hour to get something done. So I have been busy geting laundry done. I also made sauce with meatballs for dinner. I doubled the amount so I have left overs for during the week. Well time to put the next load in. Have a great day.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frugal this weekend, was staying out of the stores, and staying home to clean. The rest of the house is done, just not my bedroom, but I'm working on it, slowly but surely.

I am not going to the stores 20 miles away, until Wednesday, except, I do have to run to our local stores and get eggs and buns for BBQ Pork. the local store is extremely expensive, so we only buy things on great sales here. We go to Wal-Mart and Safeway in the next town over.

Back later.

Becky

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

well not much frugal today..i have a question...and i hope someone can awnser it..
my inlaws said..if i keep my ac at 76 its the same electricty as if i keep it at 78 or 80* in the summer. i want it cooler but im not wantint to use as much electricty.

today im making pepper stuff for dinner, its with deer meat and frozen peppers and things i have here at home. im tring to use my pantry as much as possibal. i ahve so much now i dont have any more room and i need to use up some.

welcome snowwalkelk..i hope i got that name right..i think its cool to hear about how things are in diffrent areas of the world.

well all i have to go run and do some things.
have a good rest of the weekend..
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 06-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member

<<joesbaby i have a question...and i hope someone can awnser it.. my inlaws said..if i keep my ac at 76 its the same electricty as if i keep it at 78 or 80* in the summer. i want it cooler but im not wantint to use as much electricty. >>

I'm currious as well as I've upped the thermostat to 78-80 from 72-74 and am running a box fan in the living room during the day to save on the electricity bill I really need to cut costs as much as possible since DH has been out of work for 8 weeks now.

I would think that your in-laws are partly right in that keeping the temperature level would use the same electricity but I would think that the a/c would have to run more often at the lower temperatures. I've read before that on heating at least if you lower the thermostat 5 degrees for 8 hrs it is supposed to save 3% of your bill.

Roberta
Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI

I am going out to the dollar store today to look for Potpouri. I want to make my own but want to experiment with a craft idea I got on a website where you take netting, put potpouri in between 2 layers of it and hook it together with a embroidery hoop and tie a string (satin) threw it and hung it up.

If it works well, then I will buy the stuff to make potpouri. It takes about 3 weeks to make scented potpour but I want to experiment before buying more stuff. I'm also going to the thrift store to look for embroidery hoops.

I have the netting here I think in lavender color. Better go look for it.

Anna
OSI.......I have one of those on my Bathroom wall. Everyone always compliments me on it. Looks like it will be easy to make. Might even be able to sell a few.
________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Closed Thread