Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Frugal this week - I had the kids help me make personal pan pizzas for lunch the other day, we went to the library, found lots of videos and dvds and magazines, rented 3 kids movies for free from local video store along with free popcorn. Today I'm going to hang some blankets out on the line.

We've had rain and cold weather this week, it's suppost to be in the 60's today.

Carol

Old 06-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lee, sorry you haven't heard anything yet. Those companies have no clue that someone is putting their life on hold waiting for that call! Once I got called for a job 2 weeks after they said they would. Apparently the person who was supposed to call me had gone on vacation and left me hanging.

Ethan will be 4 years old on Sunday. He's never had a party, but this year he's asking for one. It'll be as frugal as possible (cake and ice cream with grandma & grandpa and his brothers). Between our vacation last week, and an unexpected bill, we have no "random-access cash" this month.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi 3girlsmom, and welcome to FC, sorry I am so slow at welcoming you here.

Nothing new here. Except the kids are now on each others nerves.((((SIGH))))We got DS report card in the mail. 3.85gpa. So proud of him. And DD moves on to the third grade. Where does the time go. My babies. I was informed yesterday that I was over protective by another Mom. I am sorry to say that it made me a little mad. I just want to keep them safe. I don't want to be one of those Moms I see on the television.

I will be going shopping this week end. Well i guess there is something frugal going on. I have stopped shopping on the weekdays and only shop on the weekend when DH is home and I can use the KIA. It is so much cheaper on gas then my van. And keeps me out of the store during the week.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Seems everyone has been doing some very frugal things here lately--I seem to have fallen off the wagon this week! I've bought lunch out every day this week at work--ugh! BUT I haven't used the air conditioning yet at home, and this week has been in the 90s, so I guess that has been somewhat frugal. There has been a decent breeze at night, so it hasn't been too bad. Today is payday at work, or as I like to call it "Redistribution Day." So much of that paycheck is spoken for before I even get it! But at least I have it, so that's is something to be thankful for. All for now!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well I was unfrugal last night. I went and spent $15 at Bath and Body Works. I got 4 glycerin soaps, 2 bottle bubble bath/shower gel, and 1 bottle clover and aloe body cream. My intention was to only spend $3 on a room spray but they didn't have my fragrance available and I didn't escape fast enough. But my daughter was frugal. She had brought her report card along and we went to Limited Too (her favorite store) and she was given a $5 credit for good grades. She had a couple of dollars of her own still and with the store credit she bought herself a groovy hat.

Today's off to a better start. I dug out a pork roast and have it cooking in the crock pot with onions, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper. I am out of white rice, however. But I rutted around in the cupboards and found a Zataran's yellow rice mix and a few strips of frozen red pepper in the freezer that I will add to the rice. I'll use the half bag of green beans and quarter bag of frozen corn together for the veggie. Beats going to the store as was my first impulse.

I've got a couple of overipe banana's on the counter and a small container of sour cream in the fridge. So I'll be heading into the kitchen to make some banana bread shortly. Also will wrap up my cold water washed laundry soon.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Good Afternoon everyone

It's another hot steamy day here in Ohio although it's supposed to rain this afternoon. I gambled yesterday and hung clothes outside and got home just in time to get them in before it started raining, which didn't amount to much of anything.

Frugal yesterday: One of my friends at work brought me in a couch cover that her mother no longer wanted, she bought it at a thrift store and now we're using it so it's definitely getting it's 2nd and 3rd time around. I washed it and hung it up to dry inside this morning.

Dinner last night: Veggie Burgers with corn and coleslaw.
Dinner Tonight: Spaghetti w/ meatballs.
Both meals at home of course. Then dh is going to Lowes, after owning our home 11 years the shower head is going out so he's replacing it. One of our electrical boxes is acting weird so he's also going to buy new outlets, one that accepts a 3 way plug instead of having to use one of those little adapter thingys. So alot going on in our house tonight if he's still ambitious after work.

Lee

I hope that you will get good news today from your dh.

Chris

We all fall off the frugal wagon every now and then. Think turkey sandwiches and yogurt or yogurt smoothies for lunches, that's what I've been packing all week. I also froze a bottle of water to keep my food cool instead of putting it in the company frig. and at lunch, my food was cool and I had bottled water to drink

JJOJ

Good point about the cow pads. I've been told you can use horse poo as well. Dh said we would have to buy a coal burning stove or wood burning ( I told him wood is so hard to get, coal might be a better choice). We still have a coal shute in our basement.

Well ladies I'm off for now.. hope you are all enjoying good weather.

Anna
Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A newsletter I received today had some ideas and things that made me think. Anyway I thought I would share:
Cindy <[email protected]> to cindysporch
Do not underestimate the power of one and two!
Have you ever read an article or book about finances written by
an "expert" who explains that each of us should set aside 10% (or
more) of our pay for retirement or have 3 to 6 months of income set
aside in an emergency fund and you wondered just how the average
person could achieve this?
This is usually the point where my eyes would gloss over and I would
close the book or magazine and think, "there is no way we can do
this!" (Unless of course we won the lottery LOL.)

Then I realized that our financial future was not going to be based
on how much we earn, but on how much we spend (or don't spend).

All of us have read about the financial effects of a daily latte or a
smoking habit, but how many of us have actually changed those habits
and reaped the financial benefits?

1) If you are like me and enjoy a couple daily sodas (from a
drive thru at $2.50 per day – sheesk!) then you are paying $912.50
per year on cold brown sugar water with caffeine!

2) If you enjoy a daily latte on the way to work, assuming 261
working days per year and $3.00 per latte, then you are spending $783
on hot brown sugar milk/water with caffeine!

3) If you decide there isn't enough time to make lunch in the
morning and you stop into your favorite drive through for a $5.00
special, then you are spending $1305 per year on instant lunches.

4) If you decide to go out for supper once per week and you have
a family of four and it costs $40.00 per week, then you are spending
$2080 per year on easy suppers.

5) If you rent movies, buy chips and soda for family movie night
once per week it will cost nearly $520 per year.

Hee hee, I think you get the idea. Now, before you think that I am
telling you to stop doing all of the above, that's not the case. What
I want you to see is simply the power of one or two dollars. They add
up. They are your financial future!

The next time you are about to spend one or two (or five or ten)
dollars, ask yourself if there is another way – something that will
cost less or even nothing.

Remember the Three Rules of NOT Buying…
1) DO instead of BUY… decide if the solution can be achieved by
DOing something instead of BUYing something.

2) SHOP at home FIRST… do you already have the thing or food at
home?

3) PROCRASTINATE… is this a purchase that can wait so you can
decide if it is something you really need or want. (This is the one
that is going to save you the most money!)

Iris
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Welcome, 3girlsmom! I hope you'll learn useful things and make pals here like I have.

I learned to be frugal from my maternal grandparents, who were children of farming families and were born before the Depression. They were always smart about how they did things, used things, cooked things. When my mother was little they were frugal out of necessity, but when I was growing up and they had more money, they were frugal because they liked it and because of the bonuses that come out of being frugal- you can eat better, you can always find something fun to do, and you can buy nicer things when you save up your money.

I try to be frugal because I'd like to make lifestyle changes, not because I need money quickly. Living frugally is not about saving money now- it's about living differently and not spending more money in the first place, which means you save more over time and HAVE more over time when you need (or want) it. In my opinion, that is.

Un-frugal this week was having to replace the radiator in my Jeep- ugh, a $360 dent. But the bonus is that now our vehicle that has air conditioning works, so no more sweating with the windows rolled down in my ten-year-old truck.

Frugal in general lately has been not going out to eat and not buying takeout. Over the weekend, I went to my brother- and sister-in-law's house with my two kids and watched their three kids while they went out of town. I got to do all my laundry for free at their house, which was a nice bonus, and the kids were all good. We went to the nearby swimming pool and the park every day, and the kids conked out easily at night, giving me some 'me' time.

Today I got new internet service installed. I finally called the cable company and ordered the digital cable+digital phone+high-speed internet service package. It's $100 a month for all three services for the first six months, then it goes to $132 a month after that. Even after the price increase, it'll be less than what I was paying for those three services from separate providers. The savings will add up over the year to at least $300 a year after the increase. That's about what I spend on my kids for Christmas!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ladyIris, I love that! I hope you don't mind if I print it out to put on my fridge. I'll especially keep the one on coffee in mind next time I am tempted to run into a Starbucks-good grief, they are so expensive anyway!
Anna, turkey sandwiches and yogurt smoothies-yummy! You are making me hungry.
Frugal this afternoon was leftovers for lunch. Unfrugal was turning on the air-it is beastly hot here. I think I'm going to come visit you for a few days, Carol! LOL Well, friends, take care and I'll be back on Tuesday!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello everybody. Just found out that DH got a job!!!!!! He will be starting tomorrow. I am soooooo happy

Today was a pretty frugal day. I spent most of it at my dd's school again. I think we finally finished planning the party for the principal that is leaving. We did go out to lunch. It cost me $10 but I really needed some adult time and I haven't gone out to lunch in ages. Tomorrow they are having the assembly for the principal and all three of my daughters are going to be in it. I can't wait to see them.
I am making BBQ tonight. I got a lot of free hot dogs and hamburgers from the local Pathmark because they are doing cutstomer giveaways. The buns were also on sale as well as the baked beans. I think the whole meal cost about $3.00 for 5 people. I know there will be leftovers too so that will be tomorrows lunch.
Well gotta go hang out the laundry. I might as well take advantage of the hot weather. Enjoy your day!!!

Closed Thread