Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
Ouch....hope it heals quickly. Thanks for your thoughts on our upcoming journey! We decided if we were going to move it was to warmer weather lol. Will be checking out the link you posted. Need any and all frugal ideas.
I did have a frugal afternoon I accomplished a lot for me. Wanted to take Josh on a walk so I piled him in the storller decided on our walk we could return some library books, make the car payment and stop at the discount grocery store we have. Savings on Gas! Plus free excersize! Other kids were sleeping! Dh is home.
At the store they had 2% gallon of milk for 1.88 however the sad part in that is that I also had to buy a 1/2 gallon of whole milk that was also a 1.88....Paid 4.49 for a can of coffee.terrible isnt it. The best deal was bagged lettuce for .50 cents, they were trying to get rid of todays expiration. SO I changed dinner plans from Shepherds pie to grilled chicken salad even though we just had it last week! Its a favorite for dh and I. I will make homemade chicken fingers for the boys! I also was able to clean out Joshs drawers to sort things that fit and that dont so I can try to sell! I wish I had as many clothes as him...
Fun frugal activity for the kids today was watching the power company trimming branchs off the trees by our neighbors!
Leighann
Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Just subscribing.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, everyone!
Anna, great job taking taking your own snacks instead of eating at the restaurant. That definitely takes willpower. I love leftover meat loaf! I think it's one of those things that tastes better the second time around.
Lee, I can only imagine how you must feel and you are definitely in my prayers. I know several people who live in South Carolina and they've said they love living there. I know it's probably too early, but Penske has pretty good deals on moving vans. I believe they have unlimited mileage also. I think U-Haul tends to be pricey. We have friends that are getting ready to move and I remember them saying that.
Leasmom, I'm glad your daycare situation is working out. It sounds like things are starting to look up.
Ericka, It's good to see you back! I really like the inventory idea. I need to do that too.
Well, take care and have a good evening!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hopefully this is the last hurdle before our move

and just goes to show that I do need to have someone around me and I am excited about moving and I am glad that Lea will be somewhere so I can work. Its gonna be expensive, it's $365 for the month, but I could just put her in there for one week, and it would cost me $140 and then an additional $45 to put her in the city's day camp which starts on the 6th. I do like the school and it would be safe and not any rowdy kids like it was last year when she was in day camp, and I do like that they give her breakfast, lunch, and a snack, and she would have educational activities as well as fun activities. I think its worth the $365. I hope that this job interview will pan out into a better job or more hours so I can get more money for our move.

I having been separating things for the yard sale we're gonna have versus what we need to live with right now, verses what little we are gonna pack in our car, and I am feeling like there's too much stuff still out. I think this weekend I am gonna declutter again!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Assistant Moderator

The decluttering bug has bitten me as well. I will have a huge load to take to the thrift store on Thursday. I even am tackling my fabric stash downstairs. I have a dresser in the dining room for sheets and blankets that we will repaint and put in dd's room. Her dresser is in bad shape. And my dining room is packed so .... decutter time! I did empty the dresser today and condensed the fabric stash in the dresser downstairs so I put sheets in there. I am blessed with the choice of two cars to drive to town. Unless the insurance totals the one due to the hail. So I may start packing one with thrift store drop offs... If I were smart, I would take the seats out of the van and really take a big load in.

I also looked at a used computer desk today. Dh is set against it for some reason. Our other one is in sad shape. This one comes with a hutch ( wouldn't use) and it was $50. The same place has a dresser that would work for ds but I think it is too high. $25 and it needs repainted and replace the contact paper inside the drawers. You could easliy put a total of $50 into and I don't think it is worth it. Now if it were at a yard sale for $10.......
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning.
JJ,
Yes I have heard that Uhaul is high. A friend of mine just told me a couple she knows moved from Here to Phoenix Arizona for 3800 it would had been 5800 to drop there but only 3800 if they dropped the truck in San Diego, Ca. Thats crazy!
Never thought about Penske. Have also seen advertisements for a Pod, but that you pack and unpack yourself. Which would be fine to pack here with friends, but it will be just dh and I to unpack.
I picked up 2xtra kids today 1 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl. Just for the day, their grandma is their usual sitter but went on a day trip. Any extra money works for me.
Leasmom,
We can prayer for each other that both of our moves go smoothly.
Leighann
Old 05-18-2005, 05:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Today I get to go to the chiropractor. Yay! My neck has been bothering me a lot.

Bluebird - good job on the decluttering! I've been doing it a little at a time. It's a good feeling!

Patrice - good luck on the job interview.

I think I'll take the kids to Costco for hotdogs on the way home from the Chiropractor, that's cheaper than fast food.

Carol

Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bluebird--
The decluttering bug has hit me too! My latest goal is to re-claim the spare bedroom. It has become a gathering place for EVERYTHING lately! It now holds craft supplies, school supplies, garden seeds, peat pots, car cleaning "stuff", extra kitchen table placemats, books, cookbooks, photographs, photo albums...the list goes on, but you get the idea! I've been working on it a little bit at a time over the last couple of weeks. I've made an improvement--now instead of being completely mortified if someone peeked into that room (I keep the door closed!), I would just be really embarassed! LOL! Anyway, good luck on the decluterring!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lee: I wonder if you could somehow check online for moving van cost comparisons?

Leasmom: I have found that good childcare is worth just about any amount of money....

Question: For those who use OSI's recipe for shower cleaner: Is it better to spray it on a dry or wet shower stall? I think I'm going to like it!

Today will be a little laundry and cleaning. Another gray/wet day here. I did get my bike ride in this a.m. before the rain. My 11 yr. old "baby" is now getting up early and doing push-ups and riding his bike too before school. I'm glad to see him getting exercise, but that's such a "grown-up" thing to do. Sigh.

I may just take a little "me" time today and read my novel--with school getting out soon, I will have little/no time to myself.....

Have a good Wednesday, everyone!

rivermom
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 AM

Rivermom

I spray mine on when we get out of the shower and just leave it set till we take a shower the next day. Just be careful of spraying it around your wash rags or towels as it will "bleach them".

Good Morning Everyone

Leighann, thatís great that you were able to take care of so many task all at one time and not use the car for any of it, good job!

Iíve heard those pods are really expensive for storage anyway. I donít envy you or leasmom either one with the moving and the expense of it all, Ouch! When we moved in 1994 it was only about 5 miles away and we rented a company similar to the one they now call ďTwo Men and A TruckĒ, they gave each unit of furniture a number like a couch was 25 pts. Etc. it ended up costing up about $150.00 and they moved it all for us. Unfortunately they are out of business, they did a great job. The apartment we had was in a old building and had 17 steps. I swore I would never move again after that, it was so much work.

JJOJ

Yes, it was hard. Dh and I love deep fried chicken livers cooked in onions and this one restaurant has the absolute best and itís a buffet butÖ dh has a real bad habit of getting plate after plate of food and has gained a lot of weight this year so not only was it a frugal issue but a health choice too. I told him if he really wants the livers we will make them at home this weekend. While ours arenít nearly as good as their deep fried ones ours is healthier since we steam them in the microwave with the onions and about $10.00 cheaper too.

Bluebird

Another choice is you could use a kitchen table, thatís what we do. And we use our metal file cabinet top for the printer.

Chris

You are describing my spare bedroom but mines worse. We have our camcorder set up at the window with the tripod as we had so many problems last year with vandalism. I also have 2 dressers in there, one I use for my clothes the other one filled with craft stuff. I have at any time 100 to 150 lbs. of wax in boxes in there, a table, a entertainment center, and who knows what else? I must get that room emptied this year, you can barely turn around in it and I too keep the door closed, LOL!

Anna

Closed Thread