Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, everyone! It's been a few days since I posted--been a little under the weather. Went to our convenient care Thursday because I'd been having a lot of pain in my stomach since Tuesday, although I wasn't nauseous, etc. They found out my uterus was inflamed and that I had an infection. They gave me a shot and 2 different antibiotics, one of which is Flagyl--I've had it once before and THAT makes me nauseous. Anyway, seem to be on the mend now. But the medications and dr. visit were not in the budget for the week--had to be done though.

Norma--
Good luck with your medical "stuff." I just had my first normal Pap after my second round of dysplasia, so that was good news. (Of course, for good measure, I had to develop this stupid infection! Never a dull moment!) Anyway, just wanted to tell you I was thinking of you. This kind of thing is just no fun, is it? When I was a little girl, I once told my mom that I didn't want to grow up and be a woman. I thought it would be "gross" I guess. For all of the wonderful things there are to being a woman, there are days when I think maybe I was right as a kid! Just seems like there are so many more things that can go wrong with us than there are for men!

My frugal entertainment for the weekend was renting a couple of DVD's with a rent one, get one free coupon. I plan to go through the newspaper sale ads and coupons in a bit here. Other than that, I haven't been too productive this weekend!

All for now! Take care, everyone!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!
Anna, I am so sorry too, about your neighbor situation. I hope it can heal. I am the same way in that if it's something directed toward my dh or also my kids, it just seems to cut a little bit deeper. I hope you sell lots of candles today! If I was closer I would come and buy some.
Mmm, Ericka, that deer roast sounds delicious!
Chris, I hope you are feeling better. Take care of yourself. Norma, I hope things go better for you, too.
Frugal yesterday was getting some free items from our friends who just moved. Mostly it was outdoor items: a lawn mower, weed eater, gas grill, etc. Also, I used up some leftover chili and baked beans. I combined the two and added some little smokies and cooked it all day in the crock pot. It turned out to be much better than I'd imagined. You just never know with weird combinations! lol
Frugal today is looking online at sales ads and planning my meals and grocery list. By the way, for people who have Meijer, they have Foldier's coffee cans, all flavors, on sale 2 for 5.00. Also, they have triple coupons this week. Take care and have a nice Sunday afternoon!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM

Good afternoon all!

I have been spending money all day, but I can't say I wasn't frugal about it. At the one market, I got the local papers, always a bargain at $.99 instead of $1.50. I got New Yorker muenster on sale for $5.00 lb., and then another $1.00 off that with the coupon. There was a senior lady there ordering the other cheese on the coupon, so I passed one of mine to her. That was frugal, because I really didn't need the other cheese, not even for the freezer, and she could use it.

Then on to the market I usually shop at. I picked up $130.00 for $87.00. I couldn't believe how much I saved. Even with cat food and litter.

Then my nephew wanted to go to Borders to get a book written by his math teacher that has been published. I have to order it online, and hope it comes by the weeks' end or he won't get to hav the teacher sign it. The teacher is retiring after this year, and school is almost over. So we ate at iHop.

Then it was off to AC Moore for $2.99 t-shirts. I needed to replace a couple that have seen better days. I also wanted to go to PEP Boys. They have a 64 oz. jug of car wash for $2.99 on sale, and then it is free after the rebate. And they had pop-up structures with a $10 rebate. The cashier just adjusted the prices so I don't have to send in for the rebates at all. And no tax on that $12.99 I saved either!! Needless to say, I am thrilled.

But it has now come to an end. I still have to do the Borders thing, but other than that, I am done.

jjoj, Chris and everyone - thanks for thinking of me. Thursday's getting closer all the time. Hopefully, it will be over at that time.

Well ladies, better go. I heard the dryer just now, and I still have one load in the washer, and one more to do. That will be 5 for today.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Good evening ladies

It hasn't been a very frugal weekend in some respects but we didn't break the bank either or charge anything to a credit card, so I guess that counts for something.

JJOJ

Our friend Neal spoke to both of us several times yesterday, so the healing has began. We won't be friends again for awhile but at least we're not glaring across the street at each other.

Candle Sale yesterday was a flop, only sold one and that was to a repeat customer. People just weren't stopping. I had one guy come up and smell my 2 new fragrances.. Rain Forest & Salty Sea Air, he told me they smelled nice. I guess that was a good market research test, those 2 will appeal to men. I've had a hard time getting fragrances that men like. 2 that appeal are the Wango Tango and Drakkar M. Anyways, sad to say... it doesn't look like I'll be opening a candle shop in this neighborhood. It would have been so convenient to just walk to work but judging by the "iffy" clientelle it might not work.

Frugal last night: Dh and I made a pizza at home for dinner and then went to the drive in movies and saw "The Longest Yard" it was the new "remake" and it was fantastic. It costs $10.00 for 2 of us, kids under 11 would've been free. A large bag ( no buckets anymore) of popcorn was $5.00. We brought our own Pepsi, Water and I made strawberries with angel food cake so we spent $15.00 for an evening date so that was pretty frugal.

We planted flowers yesterday, not as many as last year but they'll be pretty. We had some wild petunias come up in our flower pot so he just carefully weeded around them and put in new ones.

In our main flower bed, we planted Tomatoes. He ask one of our older neighbors "If I have tomato plants in my flower bed in the front yard- does that make me a redneck"?. She giggled and said Yep, it might just make you a redneck, lol!

Oh another frugal: Friday, took my library books back to the library on time and got out 20 new ones.. so not buying any books saves me about $20.00 a month

I did buy a bunch of 1981 crafting magazines at the thrift store today and a big "Family Circle" craft projects binder with lots of neat ideas. It had miniature Adirondack wooden furniture plans in it... I showed it to dh and ask if he could make some, he said sure. Now whether I can get him motivated to do it is another thing, lol!

Oh well I've rattled on enough for tonight... it's back to work in the morning so better get ready for bed. Take care my friends.

Anna
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow, seems as though everyone has been busy this weekend!!

It took me about five times of visiting here but, I think I finally read all the posts!

Leighann, I hope the interview was a success!! I was thinking of you all weekend!

Norma, hope all goes well for you on Thursday with your procedure. I have the same feelings as you, just take it out, what do I need it for. My Mom had all of hers removed at about the age of 32, and has never had any problems since.

futureteacher, sorry to hear of your medical problem, glad it could be cleared up with some meds.

Redcardinalbird, did I read correctly? Both your children had ear problems, or did I read the same post twice? Either way, hope they are doing fine now. Good job on the $1 sales!! That is fantastic!

Sorry for any other med problems, great deals, and other hardships others are going through, that I may have missed.

Thanks for everyone's input about the pants pulling down. I guess it is not really the actual pants pulling down part, that bothers me, but the fact that DD says she did NOT do it, and that the other Mom is saying that my DD did, but, yet did not confront me. I agree that more supervision is necessary, but, more so on the other parents part. (I know this is probably another issue, but). Just the other day as soon as we got back from grocery shopping, DD went out on our front porch(which she has been playing on since she is just a little over a year old). DH, DD#2, and myself were still carrying groceries in, and here comes the neighbor girl!! Of course we were unable to keep a good eye on them. We ended up sending her home within minutes after she showed up. We hadn't had lunch, and also had plans for right after lunch! Oh, well, I guess I will not dwell on it, it just bothers me!!! Thanks again for listening! (The saga does continue, she did send her over yesterday, but, opened her window, to let us know that she didn't just send her "kid" out without watching her.)

I didn't accomplish much frugal over the weekend. Just the normal yesterday with wash. I did run to Kmart, and god DD flip flops for $5(which I feel is expensive for what they are), and socks and undies for DS, and DD's #2 & 3 for 50 cents a piece. A pair of shorts for DS, for $10, which have to be returned, due to apparently being marked the wrong size! Unless I don't know how to buy shorts for men. DS's current jeans are 32X33 so I though a size 32 (jean)shorts would fit him, wrong!!! They would'nt even go up over his hips. His 32X33 jeans he currently wears, are the "stylish" baggie types that hang down below his boxers. Any help in this would be appreciated!!! I would like to return them, but, I don't know what size to get him. He complains about shopping, and he won't try them on!!!(AAAAAARRRRRGGGG) Boys!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!
Karen, my dh takes my sons shopping for clothes and that works great. They don't mind going with him. They make a day of it and do other "guy" stuff together.
Leighann, I hope your dh had a great interview!
Anna, another 'appealing for men' candle is the cherry almond. My oldest ds liked it so much that I ended up letting him just have it for his room. lol I think he likes candles as much as I do.
Frugal today is using up the bananas for banana bread and using up the potatoes for potato salad. We are leaving for Prescott, AZ from Fri.-Tues. to visit my in-laws, so I will be doing grocery shopping on Wednesday. FIL just had his hip replaced in April, so we need to see how he is doing. Probably fine, since he just mentioned that he's been walking 2 miles a day! So, that is definitely good news. I don't know how I will make it without my family corner fix, though! lol Well, take care, everyone, and have a wonderful Monday!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Today is our wedding anniversary 13 yrs! Hoping its a lucky one and we get good news on the job front. I also feel sad that we arent together for our anniversary, however if he gets a job well that would just be the greatest present ever!
Today is my last day for my school teachers children, a day maybe here and there so a big chunk of my income is gone. I also have the 11 yr old girl today and she has informed me they will be living with their other uncle for the summer. ( I beleive this will end up being permanent which means I will probaly never see the little girl) Makes me sad that they are giving up and yet again the children our being uplifted to a new enviroment.
On the frugal side today I will be hanging out laundry as its quite nice outside!
Opening the windows, refusing to turn the air on, not in the budget at all.
The dad and uncle gave me money to take the group to Dairy Queen today for ice cream cones. Since the 11 yr old can push a stroller we are good to go. Will be a nice treat.
JJ,
I hope you have a fun and safe trip!
Karen,
Maybe you could return the shorts for a size 33 or 34? Sure some day I will be having those very same issues. Last week I took some of my garage sale profits and got Evan some new clothes he is just growing like a weed. This was the first time I let him choose items and he has an opinion. I went to Target since I had no coupons to the thrift store I like.Prices are not that much different, plus I notice as he grows its harder to find at the thrift store the ones I do find are farily worn out! I figure at least some of them will probaly be fine to eventualy pass on to Josh so its worth it!
Anna,
Your the 3rd person that has said the Longest Yard was funny. Will have to see that one eventually!
Your candle shop could still work by you. You may just have to spend a bit on advertising but I bet once you did you would probaly get a clientle!
Off to play with the kids have a great day everyone.
Leighann
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Anniversary, Leighann!! Here's wishes for celebrating an anniversary and a new job when your dh returns. Praying for you to hear good news soon!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Leighann - Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a great day!

My dh is off today and it's pouring down rain! Maybe I can get him to do some honey do's!!

Carol

Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sorry, Anna, my dh only really likes vanilla scented candles lol!! All the other guys I know leave "those decisions" up to the women.

Happy Anniversary Lee!! May you have many many more!!

Norma, I know this was from a few days ago, but if you have more "cheapie" mac-n-cheese--I toss in a slice of American cheese and it really adds a good flavor. Makes it less "fake-cheesey" lol!

Frugal for today: leftovers for lunch, used up a half-bag of frozen blueberries for breakfast smoothies, will make hm "slurpies" for the kids this afternoon(kool-aid and ice in the blender) and refusing(!!) to do a small load of laundry. I'll wait until I have a full load, even though seeing that basket sitting there is driving me CRAZY lol. I also washed my windows this morning with vinegar, as well as the bathroom tiles and the backsplash in the kitchen. Left them nice and shiny I also took all my fans apart and gave them a thorough cleaning. I use them all year long and boy did they need it!

My thoughts are with all of you that are having health problems, including the kids'.

Closed Thread