Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Patrice - good luck on the job interview. Gosh if you lived closer I'd babysit for you.

LJsmom - thanks for the info, I'll have to try that next time I go. You got some great prices!

I found somemore yogurt marked down at the store yesterday and also hamburger for $.99 a pound.

Well, today my ds gets his cast on. We're going to the library today to. I love library day!

Carol

Old 05-17-2005, 06:14 AM

jjoj

I’m with you on the serious housecleaning…. Mine here lately has been hit or miss. Mopping the floors, dishes, and laundry have been about all I’ve had time for. I did do the deep cleaning in the kitchen week before last when I got my new “used” table. I need to do like Crochet2 and bring home some boxes and get all the yard sale stuff in one place, that would free up a lot of room.

Frugal yesterday was we packed our own snacks and instead of eating at a restaurant when we weren’t really hungry, we came home and ate leftover meatloaf and french fries for a late lunch/ early dinner.

Sunday I went to the thrift store and found a brand new in the box wood toilet seat (Target) for $2.99. We needed a new one as the one that came with our “Toilet in a box” kit we installed several years ago was a cheap plastic seat that the bolts wouldn’t stay in very good. I expected to pay around $10.00 to $15.00 for one at Meijers or Lowes so this was a good deal. They had several so I’m guessing it was a discontinued item.

I also went to the library and got about 15 books to read in my favorite brand so as long as I take them back before they expire, I will save money there too. LOL!

I brought in the bundt cakes to work today, sold 3. Also sold one firestarter set right away. One lady who bought a cinnamon bun from me Friday said she totally loved it.

Well guess that’s it for now. Back at work today (sigh) and the sun is shining. Yesterday was cool and cloudy.

Leasmom

Good luck with the child care issues.

Anna
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 AM

Another Use For Dryer Lint

Firestarters

Take leftover wax and melt in a pot on the stove or put in a old coffee mug and put on coffee warmer plate till melted. Mix the wax with dryer lint, stick in a birthday candle or candle wick if you have any put this all in a muffin paper cup in the muffin pan and let harden. Light the wick and throw on a bundle of wood in the fireplace, chiminea(sp?) or campfire to start your fire fast and cheaply.

Anna
Old 05-17-2005, 06:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just Subscribing.

Have a great day all.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Rain. Again. What a yucky Spring. Sure hope Summer's better. Laundry will have to be dried or hung inside today.

Lee: Good luck on your move. And may I say that I admire your courage in making such a huge change in your life. S. Carolina sounds beautiful.

Leasmom: Good luck on finding child care. That has been the worst part of parenting for me so far.

Groceries at Aldis today--probably spaghetti for supper. We've got quite a bit of home canned goods leftover from the winter that I start to need using up before the summer garden starts--including spaghetti sauce. However, we haven't even begun the garden yet. Been too cold and rainy yet.

My plants from seed haven't been doing too well. They need to be planted. But I did find a good deal on "supplemental" annuals--6 pack for $1.39. Also got really neat looking planters for the kids' teachers for $6/each from Walmart. They loved them! Many compliments from both-- I know also that they appreciate being appreciated, even in a small way. And I do appreciate all that they do.

Otherwise today, just the usual, and: scraping poly off the new window after I finished the second coat this weekend. Now dh just has to patch the drywall around it and I'm going to try sponging/ragging over the paint already on the wall before he trims it out. Not a fun project, but frugal in the longrun for the energy cost savings. Does anyone know if you can sponge paint over semigloss? Do you just use another semigloss?

Another paininting question: Can you spray paint vertical blinds? They have fabric on one side and vinyl on the other. I know that I found spray paint specifically for vinyl when I did the mini-blinds, but I wonder if there's spray paint for fabric???? The mini-blinds turned out so well--I'd love to change the color of ds1s verticals.

Well--have a good Tuesday--hope you all have nicer weather than we do!

rivermom
Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks everyone for the support. We cant move till the house is sold, I sure hope it goes fast but with the way my luck has gone that probaly wont happen.
Rivermom,
I dont know if what were doing is courages or just dumb. Beleive you me I think my stomach will be in a continued knot until we are on our feet again.
Anna,
Sounds like your craft mall is doing very well. I will say again you will be doing this full time before you know it.
Leasmom,
Good luck with your daycare situation.
We are doing serious housekeeping around here, want this house on the market asap. Today was garbage day I am sure the garbage men were not happy with us. (dh cleaned out the garage so I can get my sale ready!) I am going to price cheaply as there is lots to get rid of but I dont care if the profit is huge just want to know its out of here! What doesnt sale we will drive to the good will!
Hope everyone is having a good frugal day!
Leighann
Old 05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Nine Year Member

I haven't had any posts in a couple days, come to find out you all switched over on me LOL.

I've been very busy putting more time in my business while my husband is still looking for a job. Trying to keep up on the house and doing a little spring cleaning each week, plan is the windows this week did carpets & dogs last week.

Been eating out of the freezer & cupboards to keep as much money in the checking as possible to pay June bills. Doing the normal hand rolled cigs for DH, cold water wash with 1/2 detergant, etc. We were gone so much last week that I had 5 cups milk go bad so I made 2 double batches of coffee cake. We are eating one and DD1 is taking the other to the nursing home on Wednesday in her class trip.

Put out a bag of freebies for the postman to pick up on Saturday for their food bank collection.

I need to start pricing things for a garage sale my family is going to have the end of June. Trick will be to get DH to go through his things to get rid of stuff he doesn't use anymore.

Talked to DD1's 2nd grade teacher yesterday when I was at school and mentioned that she wouldn't be going to the school summer tutoring program this year. They are charging $300 this year over $100 (10 hrs individual) last year and she said she would be willing to do private tutoring if the school didn't need her for their program. After the sticker shock I realized they were meeting for longer but the way I understood the flyer it would be group sessions.

Roberta
Old 05-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here's a booklet on frugal living & cooking from the USDA:
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/f...y/thriftym.pdf

Hope it's helpful to someone!

Lee, I'm glad you & your DH have come to a decision. Best of luck with your moving plans. I hope it all goes well in your new location. Wish you were coming nearer to here though

I had an unfrugal morning and it will continue to be so. I had hired a babysitter to watch Luke while I did carnival food prep (no place in that kitchen for a 3 year old). So I was going to be out $12 a day for 3 days of this....I was there half an hour and I sliced the tip of my finger I wound up being driven home with orders to go to the ER; my neighbor took Luke and the babysitter drove me to the ER! I had to pay her 3 hours instead of 2 plus there will be that ER bill coming....I am ok now but I doubt they will let me near a knife again
And tonight we have to take the kids to the carnival and watch our money blow away in the wind....I hate carnivals....I'd rather just write a check to the school.
On the upside, I got to see firsthand what a wonderful school nurse we have.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member

barbszy
I hope you are doing okay. I cut the tip off a finger years ago, have the scar to prove it LOL, putting in a 5 gallon metal bucket of roofing paint into my car. Went back into the store to tell them to have someone put the other bucket into my car as I'm dripping blood on their floor. Most expensive do it yourself project I've done.

Roberta
Old 05-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Daycare

Okay I may have found a solution to my problem. I called my daughter's school and at first they said they wouldn't be open for their afterschool/summer program until June 1st but then I talked to the director and she said that for Fairmont students, which my daughter is one, they will be able to be there after school next Thursday, that Friday, then the Tuesday after Memorial Day and that week. That's all I need and then I could put her into the city's day camp. Or I could just put her in there for 2 days and pay for those two days and then pay for her to go to Girls Inc. that 1st. I am happy though, but I have to go to a meeting tonight and miss my class, but so far, it seems that the problem is solved.

Closed Thread