Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM

Songberries

That sounds like a wonderful idea, thanks for sharing.

Catwoman

Glad to see you found us on the new thread. That sounds like trips to my Grandma's house when we were young, always kids around to play with.

Anna
Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have NOT been frugal at all. We have been so sick, so the easiest and quickest way to eat is not the cheapest. 3/5 of the family is sick with a stomach bug. It has been horrible. I have not had any sleep since Sunday. Last night only two of us were up to eating so Hd went out and got fast food. My house is trashed, I have been doing laundry. I just need to fold everything.

Melly
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Leighann, glad to hear you made out better the other two days of your yard sale!! That little extra $ will be a help, and getting rid of your clutter will be a big help!

joesbaby, glad to hear you have water, and you did it yourself??? You are more daring than I!!

jjoj, that is what I do with my kids for school clothing. I set a certain dollar amt. and they have to get everything they need, and if they have any left over they can get wants. Seems as though DS is the only one that gets any wants. With summer clothing I usually just pick up a few pairs of shorts for them.

melly, hope all your family feels better soon. Our family went through that stomach bug a few weeks agon, it was nasty!!

Thanks for all the summer lunch ideas! Barbszy, thanks for that link, I had forgotten about that thread! I also thought of eggs today for summer lunches, I guess that would more of a brunch for them.

Frugal for me was cold water wash with hm laund. det. Vacummed out the van at home here, saved the $1+ or what ever it would cost me by now to vaccum that out at the car wash!

Oh, gosh doesn't it ever end!!!!???? Apparently I have to put DH to work this weekend and figure out where the gap is in the skirting of our trailer. As last night apparently a skunk got under the trailer and decided to spray when it was under there. This morning my entire inside smelled like skunk. Now it is contained to the back bathroom. (YUCK!!!)

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone.

Dh took me out to lunch yesterdday so there went frugal for the week. But I am not going to complain. He is being very sweet. We are going to have our 15th anniversary this month. So hard to believe it has been that long. We have nothing planned yet but knowing DH he is planning something. Something not frugal. And I will let him get away with it.

The kids are ready to hurt each other and it is only a week. LOL. They really do love each other. I hope.LOL

Frugal is cold water wash. And staying home and spending no money.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I'm an auntie!

Just got back from our extended weekend. I am officially an aunt of a little boy named Tanner. He is a doll, and hasn't cried once in over 26 hours. LOL.

Frugal today, was only spending 5.00 at the gas station instead of spending 11.00 eating out, on the way back.

Have a nice night!

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:18 AM

Good morning all!

Frugal for me is not going out to the stores, or stopping coming or going to work. I am eating from the produce I got this past weekend (lettuces - $.79 and $.59 with coupon), so salads, bbq wings which were in the freezer, day old ciabatta bread.

I made a noodle kugel last night. First time I have made this. My girlfriend does them for Easter, and maybe one other time during the year. Very tasty. For those who don't know, it is made with low-fat cottage cheese, fat free sour cream , eggs, sugar and broad flat noodles. It is like a sweet baked custard with noodles in it. Very tasty. I did it last night according to the directions in a 13X9 pan. Now that I know what to expect with my oven, I might make them in smaller aluminim pans and either gift a few or freeze them for when that longing kicks in. It now also adds to the list of things I can bring to a bbq or potluck.

On watering plants on the cheap - I save the water I run when trying to get hot water to wash dishes, put it in a bucket, and water the plants. If I could figure out how to disconnect the washing machine from the city drain, I would use that "gray water" to water with also. I would not water the veggies with it, but certainly the flowers can't be hurt by that. My sister saves her water in bottles for the fridge. If it happens that I am doing dishes at the same time I want to make some iced tea, I will let it run into the pot I make the tea in.

Well ladies, I better go for now. I have to pay some bills before going to work.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 06-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Congratulations to Auntie Becka I'm glad all went well.

Norma, when's the next potluck? I'd love to try your kugel

I found an unexpected bargain at the supermarket yesterday. Normally if I'm not buying ice cream I don't go down that aisle but for some reason I did and I noticed that those little pints of Edy's Dreamery were 99 cents. Of COURSE I had coupons so I got 3 pints free
Otherwise it wasn't the best day in the world for savings; I mostly needed "stock the pantry" items that don't get coupons (like a big jar of minced garlic). I did get 2 jars of mayo at 99 cents each, and 6 margarine at 2/$1. With summer vacation coming up, the kids want homemade cookies--and as my grandmother used to say, "Butter is so extravagant" I'll be making up double batches of dough, baking ONE sheet of cookies, then freezing sheets of dough balls until frozen and then I'll put them in containers. I love doing cookies this way because then I can do as many as we want. If we want a different cookie each day I can make only enough to feed us for that one snack. And if unexpected company comes--just pull out the container, pop the dough balls on a cookie sheet, and bake--in 15 minutes cookies are cool enough to eat.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:06 AM
Nine Year Member

I read a tip that I've used the last two dishwasher loads from an online frugal newsletter which was instead of buying a rinse agent (jet dry) put a drop of liquid dish detergent on top of your dishwasher detergent iin place of the rinse agent. So far so good.

I received a mailing from Bob Evans yesterday which included a grocery coupon for their snackwiches but what really interested me was the FREE kids meal at their restaurant. We haven't used the free kids meal yet that DD1 received last month for her birthday so the next time we go with the in-laws the kids will eat for free. Actually the next two times since DD2 we still feed from out plates.

For those of you who have kids or grandkids under 12 Burger King & Bob Evans give free kids meals for their birthday when you join their kids club program. Does anyone know of any other restuarants that do?

Roberta
Old 06-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Good Morning Everyone

I posted a photo of my incense bottles we make in the craft section for anyone who would like to see them.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=14609

Beckanoah

Congratulations on becoming a aunt, I like that name Tanner, very cute.

Barbzy

What a deal getting the free ice cream! That's also a great tip about freezing the cookie dough... I haven't made cookies in such a long time. I really should instead of buying Little Debbies every week.

Frugal & Healthy Last Night: Made salmon steaks on the George Foreman (bought at the thrift store for $2.99 Family Size)! and microwaved Capri blend frozen veggies for our dinner last night. Dh put his homemade salsa over his, I used soy sauce. Salmon was purchased at Aldi's 4 pieces for $3.99 veggies 2 lb. bag for $2.00 and the dogs got leftover veggies for their dinner with a little spaghetti sauce on top. They get Pedigree dry food all the time but they beg something terrible so we buy mixed frozen veggies for them. 2 lb. bag is $1.45 makes 2 nights of meals for 3 dogs, much better than that stinky canned food.

We sat out in the front yard after that watching the neighborhood and visiting with neighbors. Burned my new Cherry Lemonade Citronella candles I made last weekend and crocheted another dish cloth. After it got dark we went in and I made up some candles for stock and for a order.

Unfrugal: Discovered a 16 oz. bottle of fragrance oil I bought at Christmas had gone rank... Ugh! Lost the price of purchase and any profits. Won't be buying from that vendor again although her spiced sugar plum is fine, the baby powder scent is what went bad.

Anna
Old 06-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna - your bottles are really pretty!

I hung out some more clothes on the clothes line. My dh doesn't like me to use it for everything.

I made the kids dinner last night, I really wanted to go for fast food, but they said sandwiches were ok. I had leftovers.

Carol

Closed Thread