Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Active Participation By Members On This Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
Please be courteous and try to answer the question either on here or private message the person... to not do so appears rude in my personal opinion.
I am not arguing with you Anna, I feel the same way, but, sometimes, I think a question might be missed, due to not reading an entire post, and I believe some don't really read others posts at all!!??? I really hope I have not been one to miss a question, and not answer it. If it appears that I am not answering, please ask again!!!

Frugal so far today. Wash in cold water, vinegar as a fabric softener, and line drying, outside!!!! Made homemade Laundry detergent, as now that I am hanging clothes out on the line, the smell of the detergent is not as important to me, I love the smell of line dried clothing, no matter what type of detergent was used.

Made gelatin for desert tonight, made Kool-aid for DDs, made ice tea for DS in my $4 tea maker purchased at Goodwill(that ice tea maker was a great purchase, I would definitley buy another at full price, if this one ever gave out!)

Steam cleaning my living room carpet. Have all the windows in the house open, free air freshener, and hoping to not have to use the AC this afternoon. Supper is dethawing in the fridge. And chasing after DD turning off lights, no clue why she needs to turn the lights on, with having all the windows and curtains open, there is enough natural light, there is only one room that needs to have a light turned on when curtains are opened, that is the kids' bathroom.

aaaaagggghhhhh the end of the school year has crawled up on me too quickly!! I am not prepared with very many lunch meals for them. I have less than two weeks to get kid lunches together. I am thinking hot dogs, mac & cheese, pb&js, english muffin pizzas, cheese nachos, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, spagghetios, soups, lunch meat sandwiches, and of course...leftovers! Any other ideas?? I kind of get out of the "feel" for feeding just the kids, as DD#3 is a very strange eater. So she eats basically the same things all the time.

I am also thinking of starting school shopping for next school year, as soon as school lets out. Just watching the sale ads and grabbing bras, undies, socks, if they go on sale!

That is it for now.

Oh, and a question I guess was asked a little while back, about what you have learned the most from this thread. Well, I would have to say I learned that I am not the only one in the world, besides my parents and sisters that are frugal!! Just knowing that there are others out there in the world that want to be frugal, and share their ideas is enough for me!! (Oh, and Anna's bleach/dawn shower cleaner has been a big money saver for me!!)

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, everyone!
Norma, your yard and flowers sound just beautiful!
Anna, what kind of candles are you planning to do? I always enjoy hearing about what you're working on next. I saw some of those cinnamon roll candles for sale at that tea shop I was in and immediately thought of you. I forgot to look to see how much they were charging for them. Probably a lot, since it was a rather pricey place.
Carol, wow, 79 cents a pound for ham is terrific! It freezes so nicely, too. That recipe sounds great. I am going to have to try it.
Frugal for me is staying in most of the week and not spending money anywhere. Especially since I was so BAD last week. Ugh! That and using up leftovers. We have the windows open and the fans going most of the time if it's not too warm. Thankfully, the weather has been beautiful and we've not had to turn the air on very often. Well, take care, ladies, and have a great day!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oops, sorry about the back-to-back posts.
Karen, how about tortillas? You can fill them with refried beans, make wraps with them, or broil them with cinnamon and sugar for a dessert. I love Ramen noodles, too. Not necessarily the healthiest, but you can add veggies to them. Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Assistant Moderator

Quote:
my $4 tea maker purchased at Goodwill(that ice tea maker was a great purchase, I would definitley buy another at full price, if this one ever gave out!)
Sounded so good I had to start a pot! I picked a handful of lemon balm this am too.... it makes wonderful tea. I just bought a 'new' tea pot too. I had an older one but thought the three quart would be nice. It is faster too.

Gray and gloomy here again. Will we ever see the sun? Our pool water has droped to 57. Brrrrr..... Kids are tired this morning since it stormed all night. Bad mommy didn't hear any of it. Ds said he will start waking me up so I can hear it. I said okay.

Need to get busy but it is such a lazy day!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:00 AM

Bluebird

That's the kind of day we had yesterday until late afternoon and we just hung around the house most of the day. I did hit a Volunteers of America sale in the am. Buy 1 item, get the second for 1 penny. Did not matter what the items were, heck they even gave me stuff out of the showcase for a penny!

I bought some octagon shaped clear glass dishes 79 cents for the first one, 1 cents for the scond. I will use them to set those candle cakes on and wrap with saran wrap.. nice presentation.

JJOJ

Candles I did this weekend.

Cakes- German Chocolate and another was Coffee Cake & Spice. Will ice both with vanilla icing scent.

New: Rose shaped floater candles scented with Dusty Rose. Hee Hee, I just sent 4 of my sales guys off this morning with one each, the company truck otta smell good and rosey by the time they get to Philadelphia today for the trade show convention. All are non smokers and although they request non smoking rooms at the hotel they don't always get them so I sent the candles as smoke eliminators.

Jar Candles- Cherry Lemonade Citronella Candles

Jar Candles- Salty Sea Air and Rain Forest are the two newest scents I got this weekend.

That's about it so far.

Anna
Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member

I read these on a couple frugal newsletters that I receive thought they might be helpful to someone.

Ants: All-Natural Mix
2/3 c water,1/3 c white vinegar, and 2-3 T dish soap. Spray or sponge on effected areas

Stain fighter
3T Detergant, 1/2 c Ammonia fill spray bottle with water

Roberta
Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

jjoj, thanks for reminding of the Ramen noodles! They are so cheap too!! All the kids eat that. And I will have to give the tortillas a try, DS and DD#2 will probably go for them, but, DD#1 and DD#3 will turn their noses! Thanks again.

I also forgot about tuna!! How could I forget tuna??? That is so cheap. And the generic tuna helper. They also like tuna mixed in with Mac and Cheese. I also forgot pbutter with marshmallow!

Now I am just rambling!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tortillas are great. My kids like them. Bean burritos are always a hit, and we are going to try that recipe in last week's "What's Cooking" for FLIPS. Also, a super easy lunch is quesadillas. Just put some salsa, cheese and if you want some meat on a tortilla, fold in half, and cook on a hot buttered pan until golden and the cheese is melted. YUM.

Muffin pizza is also a hit as are hot dogs, bagel with cream cheese, or PBJs.

We have a "School's Out--Kids' Lunches" thread here:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=7053

I have 2 tubs of wash hanging on the line I don't like heavy scents on my clothes and will actually pick a fabric softener accordingly. Vinegar works well on our towels but the kids notice a faint vinegar smell when I do the clothes with it, so I buy softener for the clothes.

And today's lunch is free--the school had a couple of extra meatball sandwiches so they sent me home with one after my lunchroom time today. I'm heating it up in the toaster oven now.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone!

I have not been able to post our harddrive crashed on the new computer (Dell is coming tommorow to replace) hopefully extract all from the old one as well. Thank goodness for warranties as our computer is only a few months old. Dh hooked up the old one so it is slowwwwww.
I did have the yard sale fri and Sat ended up making about 150! Still have lots of stuff though. Will wait and see if the street is having another street sale soon!
Right now dh is on his way to South Carolina checking it all out and get signed up with their job center. I will be happy when he is there, its a long drive! He left around 8 this morning.
I have skimmed through the posts sounds like everyone has been being frugal. Have to run though as this dinosaur ecletic computer is in the basement. I guess its a good thing dh has saved our old computer enough to at least get online.
His sister let him take her laptop to Carolina! Will be easier for him to print out maps and such! He took our printer. Hope to be back up and running tommorow! HAve a good one!
Leighann
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member

meat packs

Has anyone bought the meat packs from a local meat shop? The meat shop in my town is running a special for $85 get 37 lbs of meat.
The pack includes
4 lb chicken breast
4 lb pork steak
3 lb round steak
5 lb patio steak (what is this?)
6 lb ground chuck
6 lb ground chuck patties
4 lb bacon

Roberta

Closed Thread