Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Happy Memorial Day Frugal Things May30th,2005

Happy Memorial Day Frugal Things May30th,2005:
May We All Not Forget What Memorial Day Really Means.
Frugal Things:
Household Task.
Working On Making my Homemanagment NoteBook.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!
Carla, your homemanagement notebook sounds interesting. What a great idea.
Our company just left this morning. Frugal was eating homecooked meals instead of eating out or ordering for pizza. Although I did take her to lunch at a tea place on Saturday. The tea shop was having a 40% off sale on all of their merchandise, so I did buy a few small things. I tend to overcook when we have visitors, so we will be eating leftovers for the next few days. No cooking. This week I am going to focus on tightening up on spending a little more. I feel like I've been off-track a little.
Take care and God bless our troops.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal over the weekend was, not by choice but by force!!

On Friday morning, when I went to clean the toilet in the kids bathroom, I noticed that the toilet seemed to be in a strange position!

We had a water leak under the trailer!! The leak was under the kids bathroom, and was just crumbling the flake board. So, DH, and I went to work, DH tore out the old floor, fixed the leak, "rebuilt" the toilet(now we don't need to buy a new one), and replaced the floor with good wood, that won't crumble, if it gets wet, and retiled the floor, with tile from the dollar tree!! Total cost of all, a little over $100, and lots of labor!!

Had we had a plumber come out to fix the leak and a carpenter to fix the floor, and bought a new toilet versus rebuilding the old one, it would have cost hundreds of dollars! So we saved a couple hundred dollars.

And now I have a bathroom that I am happy with. Next is our bathroom. DH just got drywall for free, so we can even re-do the walls in our bathroom, which do need to be done. We will also rebuild that toilet, versus buying a new one, and saving over $100.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day holiday!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A frugal thing happened! My family decided they like dinner rolls instead of hamburger buns! They are so easy to make. They don't like having all that bread that's in a bun! I think my low carb eating is rubbing off on them!

I made something fun and easy for breakfast that my family loved. I sprayed a muffin pan with Pam, then I took thin slices of ham and lined the muffin cups (they kind of hung over the edges) then I put in a cube of cream cheese and broke in an egg. I baked them at 400 for 15 min, then put a piece of cheese on top. I called them Sunshine Cups and everyone loved them!

I sang with the choir up at our cemetery this morning. We always do a patriotic ceremony. It rained a little, but then the sun started coming out.

Have a good Memorial Day!!

Carol
Old 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Wow! You have all had busy frugal weekends whereas I've been spending, spending, spending.. sigh! We had to go to the candles supply places this weekend, spent $125.00 Ouch! I've had to restock 2 weeks in a row now on wax that's a big crunch in the budget but gotta have it on hand when orders come in.

I did stay under budget on the grocery bill this week, so that's a plus. I forgot Redcardinals rule about getting a raincheck at Meijers. They had dh's jean shorts on sale buy one get the second half off... well they had none in his size! So I went to Wally World, they price match but wouldn't do the 50% off second item thing but they did have them in stock.

Well I need to start making sure we have everything for work in the morning, so will talk with you all again later.

Anna
Old 05-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Post Active Participation By Members On This Thread

I have noticed recently several members have asked other members a question in reference to their post. Please be courteous and try to answer the question either on here or private message the person... to not do so appears rude in my personal opinion. We are here to share with one another the ups and downs of frugal living and sometimes what appears to you to make perfect sense may need clarification from another member in order to understand and learn from what you did or are doing to save money or time.

I appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Thanks.

Anna
Frugal Living Moderator
Old 05-31-2005, 03:01 AM

Good morning all!

Ugh! Gotta go back to work.

Anna - I was snooping around at www.iOffer.com which is similar to e-Bay and came across candle scents and wicks for sale. It was in the hobbies and crafts section.

I know nothing about how much these things cost, but thought that you might like to check it out.

I was there because I was reading in Budget Living that e-Bay has raised their cost to list items for sale 4 times this year already and that sellers are looking for alternative sources. The magazine listed www.iOffer as one of those alternative sources popping up.

Sunday afternoon I got a lot of yard work done. I opened all the latest donation bags of yard clippings, and have enlarged soem fo the flower beds to make it a little easier for my nephew to mow. I planted some roses (with 2 banana skins) in a section that I enlarged a few weeks ago that was now ready. I planted the azaela bush I was given on Valentine's day in another recently enlarged section, and then enlarged that section. I planted day lilies my girlefriend didn't take home from the yard sale in the back of my home. I am trying to plant stuff so that mud doesn't splash up on the siding, keeping me from having to pay to have it power washed quite so often. I replanted some flowers that were too tightly packed in an oval planted I received for Mother's Day. I pulled grass out of the climbing rose and yesterday, dug out my bud vase and gathered quite a few roses off that climber for inside the house. They are the most fragrant of all my roses. So, in addition to them being beautiful (a deep pink), they make my living room smell good too. Unfortunately, the next few clippings will continue to be shorter and shorter. I normally use a tea cup to hold anything after the first clipping.
All the roses have set buds, so I am now just waiting for them to pop and put on a beautiful show. Yesterday afternoon, I raked all the chips that have been coming off the stump as my boyfriend hacks away at it with the axe. I also pulled quite a few weeds and cut down something that just didn't look right, and then put salt down on top of the open wounds, so it won't come back. It was in the corner of the driveway, just in the wrong place.

My friend's bbq was nice. I took brownies. No one else brought a dessert, so someone ran out and bought a cake. I could have gone home and baked one in the time it took them to do that. But who am I to argue. We had a great time.

Well ladies, got to go. I have 4 whole days of work before the next weekend - ugh!!

Take care all!! Norma
Old 05-31-2005, 05:17 AM

Crochet2

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Anna
Old 05-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My dh put up my clothesline last night, so I hung out a load last night and this morning. Now I can wash some blankets. I love to put them out on the line.

They have hams on sale for $.79 a lb, I bought three and cooked one for dinner Sunday. Mmm, it was so good, I might go buy some more before the sale is over.

Carol

Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tuesday May 31st,2005 Frugal Things:

Tuesday May 31st,2005 Frugal Things:
We changed Internet Service Provider to Dial Up to Save more money.
Household Task.
Work on the HomeManagement Notebook.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Closed Thread