Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

beckanoah - congrats on becoming an aunt. Have a great weekend.

We will be going out of town too, some of the family gathering at the lake.

Frugal today, I was able to go into the grocery for milk and come out with only milk.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Robin I had to laugh! I truly admire you girl for being able to go in for milk and come out with JUST that! I can't seem to ever do that!.LOL
Old 05-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Saturday May28th,2005 Frugal Things:

Household Task.
Work on Homemaking Notebook.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Nothing terribly frugal going on here, just planning on washing and cleaning out the car at home and visiting friends for a cookout. Hope everyone is enjoying the Memorial Day weekend!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Take care all!!

I have not been on in awhile. I have been getting ready for our city-wide yard sale today. Our chamber of Commerce pays one price to the city for the permit (we need one here), and then they advertise. I also advertise on www.njgaragesales.com. It helps bring people in. I don't know if there is something similar in other states, and I found out about it by happenstance.

I think it went pretty well because of the people going to the shore, and the fact that it is the first big summer holiday weekend.

I did well, over $100. Only one of those tea kettles from that great Amazon.com sale and rebate from a couple of months ago, but I now only need 3 more sold to break even. Now I have more "roll-over money" to put back into rebates, etc.

My girlfriend came down with some of her stuff and has now invited me to "do it all over again" next Saturday at her house. They have a community-wide sale then.

I was tempted not to cook dinner, but take some of that yard sale money to Mickey D's. But I hung tough and there are now no left-overs in my fridge. I will satisfy my urge to eat out tomorrow with another friend for lunch. We made these plans last weekend to get together.

Well ladies, now I am exhausted. My nephew asked to go to Atlantic City with a family for fireworks, and since his Dad had dropped him off that kids' house earlier, I told him ok.

I am going to try to finish off this afghan. I got the first round of the next afghan done while outside today at the sale - in between customers.

Take care and have a wonderful Memorial Day!! Norma
Old 05-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Nine Year Member

Thank you all for the sympathy thoughts.

Today I got caught up on laundry doing 3 loads on cold, 1/2 the detergant with vinegar in the rinse water. Mowed the grass, ran the vacuum, fixed Chef Boyardee pizza for dinner and have enough left for tomorrow.

I bought 3 passes to the summer movie theater, 10 kid's movies once a week for $5 a pass. We have enjoyed going in the past and really mixed it last year when the movie theater didn't offer it. We will also sign up for the summer reading program next Thursday. My Mom has offered to pay for a pass to the pool $105 for me & the 2 kids so that will be our summer entertainment.

RobertaD
Old 05-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Assistant Moderator

Carla,

What are you putting in your binder/notebook?

Frugal today was going to yardsales. It would have been more frugal to stay home, the sales weren't great. I bought a box of books for hs and two plush animals for VBS. Then when I brought the books home, I realized I can't use them. But I know of two moms who can, maybe I can get my money back.

When I got home, I started in on ds's bedroom floor. I have ten more tiles to put down tomorrow plus the closet! It looks good too!! Dh moved and replaced our ceiling fan and put a new light kit on ds's ceiling fan. His room looks so much better. Dd still wants tile in her bedroom too.... guess that may be the next project. Shudder.... hate tearing up carpet. Her carpet is in good shape, may try to hold her off.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member

Went to the grocery today saved 42% buying on sale, with coupons & store brands. Sad thing is dog food (on sale w/coupon) & diapers (store brand) was half of what I paid LOL. Can't wait until we are potty trained.

I was able to get 6 pks of gum for $.28 each and got a free 2 lt Dr Pepper, 3 meal bars for $.50 each, 2 Kraft salad dressings for $.50 each, 2 NY Garlic Bread for $1 each, 30 Chinet divided plates for $3 (will use at future pot luck dinners), and 1 Eggo waffle for $.50. I also picked up 10 ears of corn for $2, 2 big Cantalopes for $1.88 each.

DH wanted steak and I was able to get 2 big Sirloin steaks in the clearance bin and saved an extra $2 off the sale price. Have enough for another meal as well.

Didn't do anything else today frugal other than rolled cigs for DH and ran the dishwasher with half the detergant.

Roberta
Old 05-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We ate at everyone else's house today-so no $ spent on food. First to MIL's, she cooked a big lunch/dinner which was a nice suprise. Then to my good friends house for her son's bday party. Still wasn't hungry, but dd2 filled up on watermelon, strawberries and doritos. She sent us home with a big plate of 7 layer salad.

Dh is making up for eating out at others houses today, he has already promised dd1 that we can go out for lunch tomorrow. Thought I'd get away with a cheap weekend? HA, not likely. He has no idea I have a honey-do list just waiting for him. I bought a ceiling fan almost a year ago that's still in the box. It'd be nice to clear up some floor space !

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 AM

Good morning all!!

This weekend has been pretty frugal. Saturday, I made money at my yard sale, and then had left overs for dinner.

Yesterday, my girlfriend surprised me and paid for our lunch out for me finishing her grandmother's afghan and doing a little embroidery on it. I would have done that for her anyway.

And the grocery store was pretty frugal. Not as good a percentage saved as Roberta, but not too bad. When the cashier gives you positive comments about how much you saved though, you know you did good. Sometimes the cashiers act as if you are stealing when you use the coupons. In this area of the country, it is like that. But I am one who will go to the cashier with the worst attitude toward coupons just to teach them a lesson - that is, when I have time. Every once in awhile a cashier will ask where on the shelves I found a particular product, because they have the same coupon.

Today will be pretty frugal too. I will walk up to the main street and watch the Memorial Day Parade. Then a friend has invited me to her bbq. I still haven't decided what to take. But I won't go empty-handed.

Well ladies, better go for now. I still have my floors to clean.

Take care all - Norma

Closed Thread