Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DeBora--Hope you're able to keep the migraine down to a dull roar. Those can be so horrendous.

Jjoj--Way to go on the freezer meals. What a great way to save time and money. That is one of the things I would like to start doing.

OSI--You seem to be so very organized! Your family is very lucky to have you at a time like this. I know it's been said before, but remember to take some time to take care of you too! You deserve it!

I have a question for everyone, if you have a moment: Our area will be offering tax free shopping for back to school this weekend. Does your area have something similar, and if so, do you find that you save more this way?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have a TaxFree School supply weekend here in NM, but I've never done it before, as my dd isn't in school yet. Till this year, I mean...

I could do better in Colorado though, where Wal*Mart is, because they have better sales.

Frugal today, is staying home again, and working on my work from home stuff, as well as cleaning and organizing and purging more JUNK!

Becky

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Leighann, my oldest DD has liked Kmart clothing over WalMart's for some time now. But, now she has a job, and can buy her own, so she gets her stuff at the Mall. But, over all I would have to say yes, Kmart is turning around slowly.

futureteacher, our area does not have a tax free time. But, I am thinking, that it would be worth it. Is it on just school items? Is there like a list of what is tax-free?

Becky, do you mind sharing what type of work from home stuff you do?

Osi, that is very helpful information. Luckily I won't have to deal with most of that with my parents. As several years ago, they planned and paid for their entire funerals. And burial plots.

I have not been very frugal, but than again not very unfrugal. I did hit up Kmart over the weekend. They have what I call the underwear cart. It is socks, underwear, bras, and t-shirts that are normally sold in packs, that apparently someone opened. So they put them in a cart for 50cents to 1.00. So I got pairs of socks, for 50cents, and muscle shirts for 1.00. I forget how many of each. But, I did have it counted it out at the store. And I spent about $10 on the stuff, and had I actually bought it all in packages it would have been about $30. So that helped.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mom2-4
I actually live in Illinois, but I am only a few minutes from the Iowa border. Iowa's tax free days discounts mostly clothing items, as far as I know.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I'm not much help on the work from home deal, but I can perhaps give a couple ideas to help others.

What I do, is work at home, for the company my mother works for. I do paperwork, tallying, typing, etc, for minimum wage, so they don't have to hire someone to do that there. It saves them costs, and allows me to stay home.

If someone were looking to do something like this, perhaps they could go to a company near them, and ask if they would be interested in having someone do that for them...

Sorry I'm not much help!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen, My sil that lives in Fl, said they have tax free days for clothes at back to school time as well. She never mentioned anything about supplies though!

becki, I was also wondering what you did from home, thats a nice set up for you.

Speaking of at home Ljsmom, I know you mentioned that you did taste tests and such how do you get signed up with that? I do a survey site that was referred to me for those who remember Nagymom. However they dont pay as much as yours but its fun easy money! Defintly would like to sign up! Thanks

Leighann
Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM

Debora18 & FutureTeacher

Thanks for the nice words in ref. to my mil, it's not easy but it's a part of life we must all face eventually.

JJOJ

Good job on doing the freezer meals, that will come in handy and definitely help you resist the temptation of grabbing fast food. I wish I could find the time to get organized again, my life seems "on hold" right now and we are not being very frugal just too hard to stay focused on day to day chores. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to work much longer as her back seems to be hurting worse and worse each day ( spine cancer) we're thinking she may not be able to walk much longer.

Anyways enough for now of the sad stuff.

Can't wait to get home into shorts and tshirt, get dinner and work on some of my candle orders. Honeysuckle and Home Sweet Home. It is so hot here today but not as humid so it's at least bearable.

Oh I keep forgetting to mention: My truck is black interior including the steering wheel, it gets so hot it literally could blister your hands. I looked around and this weekend bought a pair of "vintage" white gloves like they wore on the Ruth Lyons 50/50 club. I wear them while driving till the interior cools down. Found them at our mall for $6.00. I was so tempted they had vintage womens printed hankies 4 for $10.00 but resisted.

Anna
Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb

Yes, Lee, it is a nice setup, however it will be ending sooner than I'd like.

We are all relocating to Texas, and I will eventually be getting a full time out of the house job : ( So that I will be able to afford my own place. I have decided it's TIME to get back out on my own with my daughter... I do plan to try to do it on the side though, maybe 15 hours a week, for extra money.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks, Chris. I'm not really sure if school supplies are tax-free here or not, but I think that is an excellent idea. It would be a big help to so many people if they did.
Anna, I'm so sorry you're having to go through such a sad time. Are you doing okay? I really agree that you need to do some nice things for yourself, too. In some situations it is just too hard to be frugal all the time. You are doing the best you can under the circumstances.
Well, take care everyone and have a nice evening.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

well today we went and did the eeg for joe. they cant find any thing else wrong with him, only what they thought befor. still not sure of eplipesy or anything like that. but they want to see him in a couple months. he goes back to his regular dr in a week.

so today i did a bit more of the 10/$10 items. i got lots of lunchables since the kids like them, 10 more half gallons milk, 10 poptarts, 10 sausage gravys for going camping wiht..that way i dont have to cook, just heat and eat. plus they had some lunch meat that was suposed to be used by today, for .20 each, i got about 40 of thoes, since i can freeze them and use them as i need them. plus they are a whole sandwich for my son. he eats everything. i also got him some gatoraid type stuff to freeze and take to practice with him so he can stay hydrated. its important to me he does. and i cant always be around him..so total spent at krogers?91.33 total saved?111.33 for 121 items. i think that was pretty good. plus im mostly done for the month. and my deep freezers are full to bursting. so thats good too.

then i went to cvs. i got some good deals there too..like 2 pks of irish spring soap, 6 herbal essences shampoo, 5 covergirl makeups, dawn dish liquids, 6 deoderents, and 4 softsoaps. i didnt do as good as id hoped, but i did do pretty good, i paid about $40 for it, but i saved about $25 on that stuff.

then i needed to get my son new cleats for his football uniform, they were on sale for $44 and they gave me 15% off that too, plus i got him a new pair of last years nikes for $10 down from $60 so all in all it was a good shopping day.

hope everyone has a good day.
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/

Closed Thread