Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Frugal today is using leftovers to make stew and baking a whole chicken, which I will use the carcass later to make soup. We are leaving tomorrow to make another trip to Las Cruses to do some more work on my place and get ready for school.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Spent the weekend at the lake with a bunch of friends and family. I was to bring coleslaw (which I made with cabbage that was given to me and still have leftover), green beans, watermelon and cantelope. Ate well and had a great time.

Today we had a used uniform sale. I took 8 items, sold 4 and made $23 and spent 19.00. I now have white shirts, sweats for gym and pr of shorts and skort for the kids. Only have to find ds some more pants as there were not slims there today.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 AM

Good morning all!!

Frugal this weekend was staying home, and out of the stores. Except for Rite Aid where I snagged 4 free-after-rebate items. My nephew said that of the 4 items, he only can use one for school. The rest will be tagged for yard sale. I also stopped again at the grocery yesterday on my way home to pick up another B1G1 package of Softsoap 18 oz. bodywash. The cost was $4.99 - $2.00 coupon, total - $3.29 with tax. I still have 2 more coupons, but there were no more double-packages left, and I don't have the heart to buy a single package.

I made a boneless pork roast from the freezer with sauerkraut in the crockpot, slaw, and zucchini. I had enough slaw and zucchini for another meal last evening.

Still have plenty of meat left. It is so tender and falling apart already that I will probably make pulled pork out of it, just adding bbq sauce.

I had the pelvic ultrasound yesterday. Will get the results on Friday.

Frugal is still watering the potted plants with the cold water-turning to-hot as I run water for the dishes. Frugal is still washing laundry with cold water. Frugal is making/drinking iced tea.

I forget who was shredding older gift wrap to put into gift bags. I also shred the color ads from the Sunday inserts - Kmart, Walmart, Target. Usually before I open them and decide there is something I just can't live without. Another source of colored paper for shredding is magazines.

Lee-congratulations on your fast thinking to put things out for a yard sale being advertised by someone else. And I have confidence that you will be able to figure out how to divide up your grocery orders to take the best advantage of the wic coupons, and your cash and manufacturers' coupons. It probably will involve 2 separate shopping orders. But I am sure you will figure it out.

To whomever was asking - where do you find coupons - first try our couponacholics board. You send Carol Ann the coupons you do not use, with 2 $.37 stamps, and a wish list. When she receives coupons from the rest of us that you can use, she will send them to you. Next, subscribe to a Sunday newspaper from a large city near you, that will be delivered to your door. My local paper has very thin inserts, but the subscription I get to the Philadelphia Inquirer has nice fat inserts. I got a subscription at the ridiculous price of $.50 per Sunday for 26 weeks at first. Then I got an offer of 8 weeks for $7. I persuaded my sister to send for that - I pay her and then just pick up the paper every Sunday on my way home for grocery shopping.

I give one of the insert-less Phila. Inquirers to my neighbor. She and her friends trade the various Sunday papers (I think every one of her friends has a subscription to a different Sunday paper), and no one uses coupons. So she collects the inserts and gives them to me for giving her a paper I don't even read.

Lastly, if you are looking for a certain coupon, try e-Bay. I will sometines find a coupon that is worth "free" whatever. I will then go to e-Bay, and do a search for that particular coupon. If there is one listed, I will either bid on it, or have e-Bay notify me when that coupon comes up for auction. Since my family will only eat a certain brand of sausage with their spaghetti, I have e-Bay notify me when someone lists a coupon for that product. I have scored plenty of mac and cheese that way too. For just $.99 plus $.37 for postage, I got 20 coupons that when doubled, meant the mac and cheese was free. It is especially good to do this when a product's price is "locked in" for a period of time. Here in New Jersey, ACME and sometimes ShopRite will list items for sale and tell you they will be on sale for x-amount of time.

I might want to do this for the $2.00 softsoap coupons. They are not necessarily on sale for $4.99, but if I can find more B1G1 free packages, it will still be cost effective as a yard sale item. Especially since I am trying to move from regular yard sale items (used) to just new stuff that I have accumulated free after rebate, or with coupons.

My city is having another yard sale this coming Saturday. I do not participate in selling anything at this one. It is just too hot to be out. But there will be another one in October. My girlfriend and I will walk around, mostly looking for books, but if some item of clothing just reaches out and grabs me, I will look hard at it. I don't need anything at the moment, but we will see.

I was offered $100,000 cash for my little house a couple weeks ago. That is certainly more than the $23,000 I am paying for it. But to find another house at all in Egg Harbor for $100,000 is next to impossible. In the meantime I have discovered that the person who made the offer is in trouble with the law, and with my city for non-payment of back taxes, non-payment of the balance on one of the houses he "owns" right next door to me, and non-payment of the fines levied against him for building certain structures without the proper permits. So I don't think that I will be accepting that offer. I don't want to move, I just want more room. I have been thinking that maybe I can expand the house by adding a trailer to the back. Because my house is on a poured slab, I can't build up, the slab wouldn't hold the extra weight. And the city doesn't like to let you "add on" at all when the house is so close to the property line. Mine sits 6" off the property line which was ok when it was built, but now all new construction has to be at least 7' off the property line. I actually need 3 more rooms - a dining room, an additional bedroom and a room for my computer and crochet projects.

Well ladies, I better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-02-2005, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here's a great resource link:
http://www.crbestbuydrugs.com/
It is a FREE site run by Consumer Reports, to help people sort out prescription vs. nonprescription drug options, and has information about the cost of the medication, its effects, and alternatives.
Hope this helps someone!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:31 AM

Crochet2

That is one of the things we are looking at with the mobile homes is space since we are giving up a basement as we have in our current house, we'll need room for the deep freezers, dh's tools like jig saw, drill press, etc. and all my craft stuff. We will also probably have to buy one of those storage sheds for lawn mowers, garden tools etc. I want at least a acre or two for gardening. Our goal is to become self sufficient so that I can quit working altogether and just sell my crafts. One of these days I'm going to take the big leap and start listing on ebay, lol! I will miss having all the thrift stores and the convenience of big city living but the peace and tranquility I think will be worth the trade off. Both my sisters are wigging out that we are moving out of the city but Columbus is just becoming too criminal friendly.

Frugal yesterday? Spent no money, cooked spaghetti for dinner along with a salad, tomatoes from our garden. Sure wish we'd saved the tag of what kind they were as they are HUGE! and came on alot faster than any of our neighbors or co workers have. One of my bosses has been bringing in free cucumbers .

We had the Hospice social worker come out to our jobs yesterday so we could all sit down and go over mil's care. She has encouraged us to get her funeral arrangements taken care so we will be setting up an appointment with the funeral director. Mil has requested cremation with no showing one thing they warned us about is making sure the funeral home doesn't charge for unnecassary frills like embalming you only need that if theres a showing. They also said when the time comes Hospice will come out and clean mil and take care of all the notifications. They are such a wonderful group of people. I am sharing this for others who may go down this road after us, hope it will help.

Anna
Old 08-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

CVS 1 cent sale

I went to CVS and got cereal, cashews and carmellos buy one get one for a penny. We needed cereal, my hubby loves cashews however we never get them cause of the high price and I love carmello.

TX Chef Fran
Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Norma, I found that rice in my Shop Rite today, but it was NOT on sale. You got rice that was regular-priced $6.49!

My mom has a question for all of you who knit/crochet: her neighbor was working on a project, got it almost done, and then ran out of yarn. How can she locate more of the kind she needs (right dye lot, if possible)? Is there a website somewhere for this?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Thanks for the coupon tips. I will try that when I get into Las Cruses tonight. DH wakes up in 2 hours and then we get ready to leave. I hope I get some calls to do some interviews while I am there.

Crochet2, good luck on your test.

Frugal tonight will be pulling out some stew, steak, and a potato pattie from the freezer when we get there and nuke them. Of course, they are leftovers.

Sorry Barb, I know nothing about crocheting and such.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 AM

Crocheting

Barbzy

Did she save the wrapper off the yarn? If so it should have a dye lot # on it. I know Lion brand has a website, probably most do. All she'd have to do is go on and email them or get their 800#.

Anna
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frugal today...
...again staying home, and working on my work from home, as well as some more cleaning and purging of JUNK from my bedroom. Tonight we will work on my grandma's room.

Got word today that my great uncle died. He has been sick for years, but it was still a shock. Not sure if I can make it to the funeral, due to the fact that my child is very high strung in public situations.

Gotta get to work.

Becky

Single SAH/WAHM of a nearly 6 year old Drama Queen!

Closed Thread