Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi everyone! I didn't realize I had been gone so long. Mom had her stent put in FINALLY yesterday and it went very well. The doctor was going to wait a few weeks to do the bypass but because she went through the stent procedure so nicely he's thinking of doing bypass next week. She said, whatever, let's just get this show on the road! Thank you so very much for your thoughts and prayers. I truly believe they are what have helped her get through these past several weeks.

Frugal for me has been coupon clipping and catching sales here and there at WalMart. Also, my lawn mower kicked the bucket while I was cutting the grass for the 1st time this year. I told my uncle last night while we were at the hospital and he told me what I need to do. I am going to go home in about 3 mins and try his suggestion. He says if that doesn't work he'll come out and check it for me.

I also have an appointment on 4/14 to meet with a mortgage person to see if someone is nuts enough to give me a home mortgage. If they are, then it's on to trying to make my other dream come true and that is buy the girls and I a house. It may take awhile but I will do it.

That's it for now. Time to go home and snuggle my girls. Rachel got contacts (12 yr dd) Tuesday and the exam was $65. I will buy the disposables next week at her f/u visit.

Take care everyone and have a great weekend. So IL is supposed to have some pretty weather, right Ericka???

Lisa
Old 04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lee, I'm going to be praying really hard for that recruiter to call your dh back! I never thought of you as whining at all. I think that you are handling everything in a very graceful manner. I so hope things start turning around for you.
Roberta, wow! 50% off is terrific Good going saving on gas as well by only going to one place.
Frugal this weekend here is staying home and not spending anything or using any gas. I have my stack of library books and some diet rite for the weekend and I am a happy camper. Take care!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM

Good Evening Everyone

Frugal this evening. Not going to the stores tonight, came straight home and heated a small box of Hot Chicken Wings for my dinner along with some cole slaw in the frig. Dh made his own pizza and now we are in for the evening watching old CSI movies I love that show.

Tommorow dh is taking his mother to buy a new mower, she is giving us her old one. Nothing wrong with it and dh is the one mowing her yard but she's insistant she wants a different one so we'll take the old one (2 years old) as ours is about 10 years old. Dh will mow one yard, I'll mow the other.

leasmom

Hope everthing is going o.k with the new schooling.

Joesbaby

Where have you been this week?

Idyroper and Montanaczech

I miss seeing you all on here too.... what's going on out west?

Well ladies I'm off for now... take care and hope your weather is as beautiful as our neck of the woods.

Anna
Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Good evening all!!

Frugal for me today was not giving in to the ham and cheese sandwich that was calling my name at the sandwich stand downstairs, but letting my boss buy pizza for lunch.

Frugal this evening was getting a piece of KFC out of the freezer, a few pirogies and some frozen broccoli and making that, instead of giving in to that ham and cheese sandwich that was calling my name at the sub shop a few blocks away.

Can anyone guess what is going to be on my shopping list this weekend? Sometimes, something so simple, like a ham and cheese sandwich can taste more elegant thana meal from a 5 star restaurant.

I am going to start looking at carpet and the items I want to put together to make the entertainment center I want. I want one wall to have side tables, side-by-side with bookshelves stacked on top of them up to the ceiling. I can/will either connect them myself, or get my boyfriend to do this. The tables need to be about 15-18" deep, and about 28" high. And I also need to be able to find some tall baskets which will fit under them as "catch alls". I think that I will start at Lowe's, and then move on to Pier 1 Import as I have not really seen anything I like in IKEA. Once I see what I am looking for, now that I have an idea, I will move on it.

It is either this option, or move. I have so many crochet books, and cookbooks that thye have taken over my living room floor. The clutter is startign to really make me cranky. It is either that, or get rid of some of them, and I just couldn't bear it. I want my will to read that I am donating them to a crochet musuem somewhere. Just kidding....

Well ladies, I better go for now, and do a little crocheting done before I fall asleep here. Long work week.

Take care all!!! Norma
Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Leighann - sorry about the loss of the daycare kids, that does hurt. I would go ahead and try to get new ones as long as you are upfront with the person that you may be moving. I hope the DH possibility works out.

rivermom - that is good news that his cancer was not has bad as originally was thought. Hopefully he will come thru his treatments well.

crochet2 - thanks for the link on the cat litter. I will have to see if we have that here.

LisLynn18 - glad your mom's surgery went well and pray the bypass next week will too. Hopefully your Uncle's advice will work on your lawnmower.

futureteacher - I agree sometimes that person is so much more important than pinching the pennies. Sounds like your really helped brighten her spirit.

I sold the yard toys and now some video tapes using Cheapcycle. It is so nice to use as you don't have to wait for a yard sale and it's free. Anna, you might check to see if you all have one as ours lets businesses advertise in a section too.

Frugal today was taking in some magazines we were going to throw into the recycle bin to Half Price Books. They didn't give very much (.75) but it was better than nothing. They also gave a 10% off coupon for selling to them. So the kids picked out some movies and books that were on clearance.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 04-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, great job on getting the mower. You saved lots of money there!
Lislynn, I am so happy your mom is doing better. That is wonderful to hear!
Redcardinalbird, good going on selling your things. Half Price Books has lots of great stuff, doesn't it?! I love to go there when I'm in that area.
Frugal today is making homemade pizza for supper and resisting the temptation of ordering it. Dh will be out of town this weekend (not that I'm a baby about it or anything), so this will be a fun thing to do. I will definitely NOT be going anywhere because I have always had the temptation to spend money when he is gone. Nasty habit. So we will stay here and find fun things to do. Take care!
Old 04-09-2005, 04:44 PM

Goos evenign all!!

Well, jjoj, I did spend a little money today. I went to walmart to get a toilet seat, that's how it started. Then I checked out the crafts, and found nothing, not even any remnants which I use for everything from quilt backing to pjs. Then as I was walking down the back of some aisles, I found Sunbeam "warming blankets" for less than 1/2 price - $12.00. I have never had an electric blanket in my life and the price was right.

I also picked up 2 packs of solar perimeter lights for my boyfriend for which he will pay. Just saving gas for the two of us to make separate trips was a good thing.

Then I went to my favorite section - the kitchen gadgets - and picked up 2 more packs of muffin liners - they have them for $.28 each.

I looked in the garden section, but everything was too expensive, and no mini roses at this one, and no herb plants. So I got out of there reasonably.

And I took my nephew to the skate park on the way, so that was also a frugal use of gas.

Anna- in this month's Ladies Home Journal, they do a little "how to" section on making candles in seashells. Just an idea that I am passing along.

Boy was I mad last night. I got a catalog in the mail yesterday - Brylane Catalog Outlet - what a rip. There are a lot of nice things listed - but I was "ga-ga" about some fleece sweatshirts that have straight hems, cuffs and a crew neck for $6.99 down from $19.99. There were 4 colors and I liked them all. They had none whatsoever, not in any size or any color. None of the other items I was interested in were there either. I was very disappointed.

Well ladies, I better go for now. I finished the actual crochet on my friend's grandmother's afghan. Now she has decided that she would like my to embroider "In Memory of Nan" on it. Nan was what they called the grandmother. I have to graph it out and then figure out where to put it on the afghan.

And I have to finish off my grocery list for tomorrow. I don't need a lot, just a lot of fresh stuff.

Taek care all!! Norma
Old 04-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hi all..just got a chance to be on the computer at my folks house and wanted to check in. today we planted a big garden, my first one. and i think its about 50 feet by about 25 feet. i planted a bit of everything i think, corn, beans, pepers, strawberries, tomatos, punkins...anything that looked intersting. so i hope it all grows well. ive been busy workin on the new trailer and havnt had time to post lately..hopefully next week will be better.

prayers for all who have family illnesses.

hope your weekend is good
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Joesbaby

Glad to see you on board... I've missed hearing from you.

JJOJ

Even though it would have been a nice perk for us, we finally managed to talk mil out of buying the new lawn mower. She was convinced the one she had didn't mulch, dh took her out to the mower and showed her where it said Mulcher right on the front. One of those elderly quirks I think.

My frugalness today:

We went to Sears Hardware to get new blades for the mowers. I looked for a gazebo tent while we were there, I've been pricing them at around $22.00 to $25.00. They had them for $9.99 I was so happy! I will be using this for our yard sales and flea market if we find time to do them.

I went to the thrift store and found a mini expresso maker Krups brand for $4.84 with the owners manual.

I also found a childs artist easle (not sure of the spelling). Anyways it's the perfect height for our Yard Sale Sign and was also $4.84. Found dh a pair of Levi Straus blue jean shorts for $3.99.

I had a very busy day today running from here to there and by the time I got to Aldi's it was closed so I picked up the few items I couldn't live without at another store and saved myself about $20.00 by not shopping there this week.

Crochet2

Thanks for the tip.. I get the LHJ too so will keep an eye out. Sure hope it wasn't the one I just threw out without looking at the whole book.

Well ladies

I'm off to try to get another early nights sleep. take care and I'll see you all again tommorow.

Anna
Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

I bought a Kirby vaccuum today for $50! It has all the atachments, I think. No owners manual. I tried it out and I really like it. It isn't self propelled but it is one of the new ones, I think. It is easy to use. I also bought a round side table for dd and dh to use to put puzzles together. I have been looking forever.... Dd loves puzzles and swears it helps her fingers from being so stiff. I may refinish it later but for now it looks great between our two wooden rocking chairs.

I did spend a little more on shampoo for dd's hair. It it helps it will be worth it. I could not handle my dd losing her hair after everything else we have been through. Also this woman is a family friend.... she said if the shampoo works, she will watch for sales for me.

We need a new mower too. I doubt ours will even start.

Closed Thread