Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member

I use 2 9" round cake pans but you can make it in a 9x13" pan

Roberta
Old 03-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, I'm so sorry for your mom, and I will pray for her. Miracles really can happen. The friend I visited in the hospital a few weeks ago- her husband had a massive heart attack and a stroke resulting from things shutting down. Anyway, it just didn't look like he'd make it, but now he is sitting up and talking even. So just keep praying and keep your hope.
Anna, that's a good idea about the pharmacy. I would love it if they had more food items also. I wonder if very many people even buy that other stuff.
Lee, good news about the doctor. I hope your boys get well soon. I was always such a worry-wart when my kids were small. It usually seemed to happen right when dh would have to go somewhere for two weeks. One time we all got the flu-even the dog! It sounds funny now, but it was awful then. lol Had to bum a ride from my neighbor to get to the doctor. We did end up becoming good friends, though, after all that. Anyway, I'm really rambling here.
Mrs. Maniac, I really love the pizza dunking idea! Well, take care, everyone!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks, Roberta!

Lee, I hope your little guys feel better soon!! My DD is the only one sick here and she is definitely on the mend this afternoon. She's well enough to have an attitude but luckily she got busy helping her big brother clean his room. I hung a "CONDEMNED BY MOM" sign on his door while he was at school

I am also making some colcannon for tonight. I'm mixing my cabbage with the leftover mashed potatoes from Monday's pierogi. And some of the raw cabbage is going to be coleslaw!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

One Irish recipe I'm gonna try next St. Paddy's day

is Buttered Cabbage. You just sautee cabbage in butter. I know here in the South they cook cabbage in bacon grease, it's called fried cabbage, but I want to try it with the butter.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Emmalee

My dh doesnít like my housekeeping either. I caught him this morning, he put on a t shirt, decided he wasnít going to wear it and threw it on the bathroom floor! I had a few choice words to say about that!

More on the doctor issue:

My thoughts are we hired them to do a job, if they arenít doing their job properly and refuse to ackowledge they are doing it wrong, then I will fire them just as I would any other occupation. We do have a choice. Doctorís want you to just trust them, not question them, sort of like being a parent to you but they are human too and they have good and bad days just like the rest of us. I donít know who decided they should be held above everyone else but I donít. Iím sure my doctor probably thinks Iím a pain in the butt. I research every medicine she suggests, and often will not take something if the side effects are worse than the cure. She knows now to research what she suggests beforehand hence I take meds that no one has heard much about but are ďsafe and effectiveĒ.

Barbzy

I wouldnít necessarily stop buying milk from Walmarts but I sure would check it in the parking lot in the future. Our Krogers will double your money back on something like that.

LadyIris

Thanks so much for notifying us about the fun furÖ I will be checking that info. Out when I get home today. I canít remember what brand I bought.

Mrs. Maniac

That is very useful information on the blueberry bushes.. I didnít know they made thornless ones. I wonder if they do that on the blackberries and raspberries too?

Sure wish our neighbors Mulberry tree werenít so high up that we canít reach the berries, those would be great for jelly.
On the checkbook issue: Maybe you should persuade your dh to let you take control of the checkbook. My dh told me when he was single he bounced checks before he even got the printed checks and when we set up our checking account I took control of paying the bills and keeping the book. Itís worked out well for us.

Lislynn18

My prayers are with your mother as well. My dh has congestive heart disease. Did they give her Lasix in her IV when they admitted her? Dh had that and lost 22 lbs. Over night. The doctor said his heart was literally drowning in water, thank god they were able to do such a quick diagnosis.

RobertaD

What a good thinker you are in posting that recipe to use up the sour milk... Good Job! That sounds absolutely wonderful. Hey Barbzy, since we don't buy milk can you send us some of yours?

Anna
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sure, Anna! It will be GOOD AND SOUR by the time it gets to Ohio, that's for sure!
I'm saying I won't go to Walmart again for milk because this is the second time it's happened. Once is a fluke. Twice means something isn't happening as it should in that store or delivery truck or SOMETHING. Oddly, Sam's gets different milk....different shape bottles, different dairy source, and I've never had a problem with theirs. I don't think Walmart is keeping it cold enough, or something. I've had that happen with a certain local convenience store and I won't buy their milk either.
Just took my "experiment" coffee cake out of the oven. If it works well (it certainly SMELLS great!), I am going to save enough milk to make one more cake to freeze for us, and one cake to take to the bake sale this weekend. At least I'd be using up SOME of the milk.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anna,

She's normally on a whole slew of meds, lasix being one. She is very, very good about watching her diet, making sure she takes her meds, she's a diabetic, has high BP, and the CHF. They are just waiting for test results now. They upped the Lasix even more but didn't seem to do the job they wanted. The nurse last night added a newer diuretic to her IV and it seemed to jump start the drainage of the extra fluid. I have told them for months that the doctor they see is not good, they need to get a new doc. She's on way too many meds. Although I work in workers comp law, the main atty here is a med mal atty so I get the advantage of knowing who's a quack and who's not. Her current doctor is a quack, big time. I've got them talked into checking out two others since this episode happened. We just need to get her well first!!!!

Thank you to everyone for all your prayers and thoughts. I have never been on a list or in a group like this one. You are all very wonderful and special people.

Lisa
Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna, Dh isn't a messy person and he can't claim that he grew up in a very clean house I know his Mother and I know how she keeps house. There are just other things I would rather be doing then cleaning 24/7. Like playing with the kids. I would rather they have great memories of how much fun we had when they were kids them gee Mom sure kept a clean house. The house is clean just and I know it is brand new it just looks like someone lives here. If he wants one of those magazine houses he married the wrong person. When I cook with the kids if there isn't flour every where and all over them the feel like they didn't do it right. They even know what it is like to be in a chocolate fight. Two Easters ago we were making chocolate easter eggs when DS decided that is would be fun to smear some on his sister who then smeared him which got me laughing so they got me which led to me getting them. By the way I recomend chocolate fight for the outdoor. I was cleaning up chocolate for a week. I'm rambling sorry.

Frugal today, cold water wash, make cupcakes with DD from a mix that I had gotten for .30 with sale and coupon. And staying home and getting ready for DD's birthday party.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna,
I forgot to post before my Giant Eagle has 24 packs 2/10 but if you buy 4 cubes get 2.00 off at register comes to .19 a can, I really hate to buy 4 cubes at once though..If dh knows its in the house he seems to drink more as well! Maybe if I can hide it from him. Dole it out...
Barb,
You dont have to send me the ikky milk, but would love one of the cakes. It sounds good! lol!
Mrs.Maniac,
Once I quit my job to stay home with the baby, I took over all the finances works out better. Not that dh cant be trusted but if I were to say is there enough money for me to buy a shirt or something he would say Sure, then pay the bills with what is left> Me we get nothing extra until the bills have been paid! I hope your situation improves for you. How is his job doing right now? I remember you said they do stuff for GM, and I read that GM was possibly closing a couple of plants in MI? Hope it wont affect him.
Em,
My house looks lived it as well. Its clean enough but never a magazine sort of look! Do the best I can!
Leighann
Old 03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

RobertaD, That cake sounds good. I don't have any sour milk do you know how to make sour milk?

Made scalloped potatoes & ham for dinner. I know it's not irish but it was easy!

I have been frugal and not spending a lot of money just working and coming home a using up stuff in the freezer.

Closed Thread