Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, went to work today

and brought dd which was frugal because kids are no longer allowed at my job and it would've cost me $25 plus for her to be watched today at a drop-off center, so that saved me. She stayed in the cafeteria and called our house 42 times leaving messages-UGH, but overall she was good and had plenty of stuff with her to do if she would've used it instead of calling our house- Plus, I packed her lunch and mine since we worked from 9 to 2 straight through with no breaks today. We had to go up to Walmart and get a gift for her classmate whose skating party is tomorrow. We got him a baseball for $1.88 and went to the dollar store and bought a bag for it. I also got a few household odds and ends there as well and spent only $20.

I had bought a full sized bed from my co-worker for $25 but I ran into a woman from Freecycle today who had gotten a bag of clothes from us and she said she was getting rid of her queen sized bed and I said I needed a queen sized bed, so I'm gonna get it from her. Maybe if I pay my co-worker she'll help me get it. But, I was going to put two twin sized beds up on freecycle and so she needed the twin beds, so this will work out good where we'll swap and I'll FINALLY have a regular bed. The bed I bought from my co-worker is a full sized bed but the box spring I have is a twin with a full sized mattress on top and Lea is sleeping on a futon with a mattress on top. The prices of the thrift stores have gone purely ridiculous so I haven't been able to buy it...for example, a used couch used to be $25 and now its $200 and up, like they're antique dealers, ever since the highway was opened that now connects us to North Carolina faster, so these used thrift stores think they can charge prices like that, which is horrifying. So, I hadn't had a bed since we moved back here so this will be nice to finally have a REAL bed and Lea will get my full sized bed.

Last edited by leasmom; 03-05-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Went to a birthday party at Chuckie Cheese today.I suppose it would be frugal since we all ate and Evan and Josh were able to play games for free. I found the birthday girl a barbie with an extra outfit at Tuesday Morning for 5.00. Frugal was I had a gift bag from Joshs party, recycling is always a good thing!
Tonight were having leftovers for dinner...keeping it frugal.
Leasmom,
I agree the price of the thrift store stuff has gone up, because it is trendy to shop that way now! There was a big article in my newspaper this week the cool ones in my area. That we already go to every now and again. I am still on the hunt for an end table.
Hope everyone is out enjoying their weekend!
Leighann
Old 03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lee, how is that Tuesday Morning store? We have one "sort of" near here but I have never gone in.

Yesterday I browsed a bit in a store called 5 Below. More expensive than a regular dollar store but lots of pretty good deals. It will be good for birthday-party gifts, etc.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:29 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
You should check it out, they have different merchandise all the time.Last year I got a new set of pans Farberware Millennium 18/10 stainless 5 piece set for less than 50.00. THese pans are the best I have ever owned. They sell books, linens, lots of kitchen stuff, toys. You name it its there one time or another. They were getting ready to close when we went in. So I only had 10 minutes to peek around. They had Kitchen Aide and Bosch products for 99.00, I think they were food processers, blender combo. Not sure if thats a good deal or not but I know those are good brands.
Leighann
Old 03-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member

I put on a pot of chili this morning to simmer during church. Took a nap with dd2 this afternoon. I feel like I'm fighting a sinus headache today but I haven't been able to shake the blahs that I've had all week.

I need to finish gathering up all the bills to drop taxes off in the morning. I'm running behind normal but there has been so much day to day things going on that I haven't had the engery to work on them into the night. I did extra work this year for the district which increased my income but taxes weren't withheld so I'm hoping we don't have to pay a lot. We still normally get money back from dh's check as we only claim 1 to make up for my job which has no taxes taken out.

Roberta
Old 03-06-2005, 03:18 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all!! Glad to see everyone's doing well. Leasmom, hang in there--something will work out.

Frugal for today--having my own little "fashion show" in front of the mirror, trying on all the clothes I've gotten from the thrift store because I am finally in a size 12! I hauled out all the spring/summer stuff so I can make a list of things I'll need to buy. So far a few new tank tops and t-shirts will be all because I have gotten lots of shorts, etc from a friend who is also losing a lot of weight and giving me her old stuff. So right now I'm doing the happy dance lol!!

I went grocery shopping Thursday and spent about $32--had some great discounts on meat, some being freebies because they'd expired the day before. I didn't need a whole lot because I've been working on filling the freezer with hm stuff--dh particularly likes the hm hot pockets. And the kids have been thrilled to be having pancakes and french toast for breakfast instead of cereal all the time. It feels so good to look in the freezer and see it full of stuff--I'm so glad I finally got off my keister and got it done!!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, everyone! Frugal was just staying home most of the weekend and finishing up on the leftovers. Was feeling especially lazy and had popcorn and diet soda for supper. I know that sounds so bad. lol It's just been that kind of day, I guess. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:46 PM

leasmom

Glad to see you back on board. Sorry to hear about your job but believe me I have been there when I did telemarketing for 10 years and every week I worried if I would meet quota and keep my job. I'm not surprised about your calling areas either.. we hated calling any of the eastern states (sorry to my eastern state friends) but they were really unreceptive and mean on the phone. Now the southern states we really did well in the people were so courteous and friendly. I am surprised you are getting good reception in Ohio, it must be the southern part because most of Ohio was like the eastern states.

We've had a busy weekend.. went to the mall yesterday and added and took away some stuff. I had ask them to put up a clearance sign and wondered why my sales didn't pick up... they forgot to post the sign, grr....!

Also went to the candle supply stores, bought 57 lbs. of paraffin wax for pillars and 7 bottles of fragrance. Butt Naked (I'm trying to find a baby picture on it's belly for the label, no luck so far). Under the Sheets, Key Lime Cooler, Love Spell, Clothesline, Cherry Amaretto and I can't remember the others. I spent over $100.00 between the two places but my customers like new stuff all the time.

After we went to the mall we stopped at the Colonial Restaurant and had a late lunch, stopped at the CVS in their town and bought Pepsi since we were tired and knew it was on sale there. Came home, went to Aldi's (place was packed!) and came home and took a nap. What a day. Today I had to go to Walmarts took my ads from another store for a sale item so basicly one stop shopping, then a quick trip to GFS for our bulk items. We watched a couple of movies this afternoon... Ray Charles and The Exorcist the beginning. I liked the Ray Charles one best, very good story.

Well I'm off to print labels... another bargain I hope. I bought Office Max brand labels instead of Avery, saving me $7.00. The guy said they are exactly the same in quality and they do have a money back guarantee.

Anna
Old 03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Of the few things listed on ebay, it looks like one of them I'm going to have to file a non-paying bidder alert on. I just hate that... Both when people bid and don't pay and having to report it. But atleast the other couple of items have been paid for and shipped.
My husband wants a new used amplifier so I have his old drum machine and four track to list on ebay tomorrow so he can earn some dough to buy it.

I used a few coupons in the store this morning. Knocked my bill down from about $32 to just over $20. Got 3 pkgs of Keebler cookies for 67cents each! Of course, that's something I would not normally buy, but the kids need a treat now and then and if I can get it for such a bargain, why not?!? I also had a coupon for a free bottle of soy milk. I'm supposed to be drinking this instead of regular milk anyway. May as well give it another try and see if I can convince myself that it's just as good as cows' milk.

I work at the library for a short time in the morning. Then I need to call the post office as I'm supposed to begin training this week. New part-time job. Still will work in the library for the rest of this school year hopefully, but I need part-time that pays good. The library's only $7.50/hr and the post office job will be $11.44/hr. Doesn't seem like I'm working towards the goal of having my own daycare sometimes. But first we need a house. To get the house we need more $$. Such is life.

Got some bananas on the counter that are pretty sad looking. Banana bread on the menu for tomorrow.

Laundry beckons once again. It'll wait until tomorrow, too. I made another batch of homemade laundry soap. Last time it was like jello knox blocks, too thick. I used it anyway by squeezing it through my fingers each time. So this time I used a half to a cup less of borax and it turned out a little thinner. Next time I will use a half cup even less of borax. Oh, and also, I wanted it to smell more like laundry soap. So I used my Dial soap that has a citrus sweet smell to it and then when it was all done and I still didn't think it smelled strong enough, I bought a mini (in the trial size section at Target) Tide liquid-with a coupon, of course-and dumped and stirred that in. It smells great!

Time for bed. Ya'll take it easy and have a great frugal day tomorrow!
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We went out to dinner last night for my birthday so it was unfrugal. Today we made up for it as for supper I made the guys eat leftovers. DD had a birthday party, I reused a birthday bag and gave her one of the big cats that we had just gotten on sale (it is so cute), craft items and lip gloss, fingernail polish all from the gift closet.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~

Closed Thread