Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm glad our Meijers does have some good deals. Every so often they pull out a cart with big markdown. They may be items that have not been selling, leftover seasonal merchandise or single items from multi packs that have come open. Usually food items or stationary.

They use to have a cart with underwear and socks from opened packages. I would get kids undies for .25 and adult for .50. Unfortunately they have not had that cart for a long time.

I can't believe the guy was allowed the patent either. I have seen those candles several places. I guess he will start sueing people next who have those candles as an infringement of his patent.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-13-2005, 03:52 AM

Good morning all!!

Chris - that kind of shoping can get to be addictive - believe me, I know.

Frugal yesterday, was letting the boss suggest, and then buy lunch. Today should be the same, but I am not counting on it.

I am starting to bring boxes home from work and filling them for the yard sale in a couple of weeks.

I was at Walmart last night and found the perfect "under the bed" container to go under the shleving unit in the kitchen. But, the good deal was getting "free" 2 liter Dr. Pepper with the purchase of 2 trident white gums. I had 2 coupons for this so I got 4 gum and 2 sodas. I am going to have my nephew come over and go through all the 2 liter sodas. If there are things that he didn't like (I get 4 coupons, I buy 4 sodas) when he opened the 1st bottle, then they will go to the yard sale. After all, I don't pay more than $.30 per 2 liter for any of the new flavors.

Tomorrow, Saturday, the mail carriers across the county are picking up bags of food left by the mail boxes. Campbell's soup is sponsoring this. For more info go to www.campbells.com. I have a bag ready to go - including soup that I bought without looking to see how much sodium was in it. No more - I have a no soup, only broth motto - Carol Ann gets all the soup coupons I get.

I also have toget my nephew to put screw hooks into the garage and run twine in them. I will plant the tomato plants along the garage wall and "run" the plants up the twine. It is an easy trellis idea. And because he is so much taller than I am, it will work.

Well ladies, got to go.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have been sitting here planning next week's shopping trip.

Last week I bought, with coupon, one of those new Nabisco Kid packs or whatever they call it. I was very disappointed when I gave Luke the first pack of cookies (teddy bear grahams). The bears were TINY and though the bags were big they were full of air, not cookies What a ripoff. I may be contacting them.

Speaking of contacting companies, part of DD's homework last night was to get an address for a company that makes a food she likes to eat. The kids (3rd grade) are going to write letters to the companies and ask for coupons! Of course I thought this was a great project!

Norma, we have been enjoying that Dr. Pepper deal too.

I just read an article about how much trash kids in a school lunchroom generate. As if I needed to read this to find this out--I help in our lunchroom twice a week and take the trash out! I have been using (often, but not every time) the Glad Ware divided container for my kids' lunches. It means fewer baggies to buy and less trash thrown away. I bought 2 packs of 2 at the beginning of the school year and still have 1 container in the box. One did break (sometimes kids use lunchboxes as weapons ) but it was well worth the effort. I will be trying even harder, though, to use reusable packaging for my kids' lunches. And this doesn't even get into the food waste issue (though I see my kids eat, and they do eat their sandwich first, and bring home any snack they didn't eat--which is way better than I used to do as a school kid )
Old 05-13-2005, 05:16 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! Today I will be grocery shopping. Probably mostly just Aldi and the day old bread store. Although speaking of Meijer, they have good sales this week on milk-1.65 gal. and cheese-4 8oz. pkg. @5.00. We are going to Chicago tomorrow, so I will be buying some snacks to eat in the car as well as drinks and sandwich stuff. Nothing too elaborate.
Well, Anna, since you weren't able to make it, lol, I do have the recipe for the brownies. Just let me know and I would be glad to post it!
Mrs. Maniac, I am the same way when I shop. I like to get my stuff as quickly as possible and go home. I would only shop once a month if I thought I could get away with it.
Barbszy, you brave woman, working in the cafeteria! I like the gladware divided container idea. Better for the environment and also frugal.
Well, I'd better get moving. Take care everyone and Happy Friday!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

jjoj, I love helping in our school lunchroom. I am a volunteer. We have 2 paid employees (we have 200 kids in school and feed an average of 100 per day). Why do you say I am "brave?" This is easy work. I set up and run the snack concession, hand out straws & utensils, set up the milk & juice, wipe tables between "feedings" (we have 3 seatings for lunch), put up chairs at the end and take out the trash. OK, I also mediate the occasional argument, stop kids from throwing food & trash, etc. But hey, I am a mom and a former teacher so I can handle that! Fringe benefits: I can bring Luke, who now has 200 "big brothers and sisters" who keep him busy & eat with him, I get to see my Big Kids--and even my 7th grader does not think he's too cool to see me at school --I see all my Big Kids' friends and their teachers. Most of the kids are respectful and polite and friendly, and I enjoy being around them
Old 05-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, I guess I was envisioning food fights or something! lol Probably because we were naughty in the school I grew up in. It sounds like a good situation that works well for you.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

OSI and jjoj--
I have to say I really do appreciate having the shoe doctor here--he's been able to save some shoes that I have really loved, and his prices are so inexpensive. I had a pair of boots that have a heel that had the nail poking through--whenever I would walk in them, I felt like I was balancing one foot on the nail! Anyway, he replaced the piece on the bottom of the heel and it only cost me a couple of dollars. And no more balancing on a nail! The boots would have been about $50 to replace!!
Have a great Friday!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Good Morning Everyone

I made the cinnamon bun candles last night, brought them into work and they were a huge success! Mine are made different (legally) from this guys and I have a friend now doing some research for me on this patent. Iím getting varying stories about the cost of patents, my friend says you can do a ďpatent pendingĒ filing yourself for about $100.00. Itís good for a year so that you can do market research to see if your product will sell. So this has been very educational for me. I do think itís a bit ridiculous that he filed on something so common. My friends at work have given me some ideas for more candles- jelly rolls (sugar cookie and strawberries), yellow citronella candles, and lemon rolls. Let me outta here , I wanna make candles today not answer the phones, LOL!

Not much frugal to report this week. Cooking meals at home, spending time in the yard with our neighborhood friends (free entertainment), trying not to spend money and todayÖ besides working, making money. I have sold all but one of my candles and have orders in for next week.

Mrs. Maniac

Do you know what your friend charges for them? Dh was asking what I intended to charge for them and I havenít seen them for sale, so I have no idea what to charge. Iím thinking probably not much as there shouldnít be a whole lot invested in them.

Redcardinal

Our Kmart in Hilliard used to do those sales too on the underwear and socks. That was such a good deal. Same thing with hair barrettes, clips, etc. each week they had different things in there all for 25 cents to 50 cents.

My boss brought us in a free bottle of Diet Cokeís new Diet Coke with Splenda to try out. Her dh is diabetic as well as several of us ladies & one guy here at work, so we all scope out and try sugar free stuff all the time and share our findings.

Crochet2

Our mail carriers are doing that too. We donít have much since we donít use many canned products but will be trying to find something to put in there.

JJOJ

I love brownies! Watch for fall candles, brownie scent. LOL! Please do post for us.

Well that's all for now.. talk again soon.

Anna
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
I think thats great you do that! I would consider you an inspiration of the kind of mom that I want to be. I think you have a wonderful family and it was a treat that we were able to meet last summer!
I hope by the time my kids are in school I can be in a postion to do volunteering.
I never did get to the grocery store this week, have still managed to feed the family. Granted I had to move on to the can fruit but its a good change of pace for the kids.
Mrs.Maniac,
Sounds like things are looking up. Glad to hear it. I always say I am going to grow my hair longer and never make it. Though right now its okay since I have a good friend that is a hairdresser. Costs me next to nothing.
We are still trying to figure out our staying or going situation. Just this last week there has been more job cuts. Northeast Ohio is really suffering. Yet I cant figure out the only new things coming in our more stores, houses apartments.
We have researched a duplex type rental property company, and the rent is about 200.00 cheaper than our mort. We would not want to rent for more than a year though. I told dh we could look at it like a free homeowner headachs. You know like just recently paying to fix the furnace, it would be a treat to call the land lord to fix. lol This place would also accept our dog.
There are many more jobs advertised there, not that he has gotten any calls however maybe they see where we live and think he would take forever to actually get there. This is all so hard for us. His mom is encouraging us to go so thats nice to have support. dh would still receive Ohio benefits (unemployment) and I could get an evening job to tie us over and hopefully once we were to get a house I could restart my day care business if need be. Would love to be a true stay and home mom and do more with my kids IE volunteering at school and all that. Sorry girls I am type babbeling. I just am so confused.....
Leighann
Old 05-13-2005, 10:06 AM

Leighann

Any one of us at any time could be in your position... babble on dear, we are here for you.

Anna

Closed Thread