Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Frugal today is going to be trying to get the rust off my cast iron skillets with a vinegar-and-water soak, like Sandie suggested on another thread. DH took his lunch to work today rather than eating out, which is good for him. It's hard, sometimes, when we do so much client relation-type stuff in our business, to not go out to lunch. Tonight I think I'm making spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner... have all the ingredients for the tomato sauce, plus a pound of browned ground beef in the freezer.

I have a good friend who is remarried to a nice guy who really loves her kids, but her daughter's father is way behind on child support and has sporadic contact. I've been helping her out as much as I can, but it's so frustrating- since he's minimally compliant, instead of totally noncompliant, there's not much that can be done until the judge gets ahold of the case information in court. I think they go back in April. Ericka, if you'd like, you can PM me and I might be able to give you some suggestions on how to find information on the xh, if that's what you need.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

wheww..am i glad i put up a dummy fence on my pasture. they ran right thru it last night. when i got there today, they were standing in the front yard for my trailer, but the dummy fence was up and not electric. but no one tried to get out. in fact, someone had cornerd my mare in the barn, she kicked the stall door off and must have spent the night in my barn as im missing a bunch of straw, and i see..horse leavings in the spot she lay. but there is no door to stop her from wandering out in to my moms yard. she must not have wanted to go badly, she just slept in the barn, and was more than happy to come back up to see me when i got there. silly horsies..lol.

lets see..frugal today...worked on my fence more. and am trying to use up the old straw from last year to get a bit more in so i can stock that up too. im going to go thru the things in the livng room and see if i can sell some veidos. not relaly much else is going on. kids came home from school adn piggy was out again. and my ds was trying to fix her pen when i got back. piggy wont seem to leave the yard, but why take the chance? she seems to think shes a dog and likes to lay by our back door and wait for us to come out and play. so thats good too. its funny to see her running around with the kids playing and messing around with the dogs. i cant wait to move out to moms, she can have a new place for her pen, and be in the shade. shes gonna like that. i am taking desis puppy, my piggy and the cat to moms with us. plus my horses are already there. plus her 2 dogs. its gonna be all kinds of fun there this summer. lol.

hope everyones having a good day. im sorry so many kids are sick. and im sure its the weather. my kids are sniffling too.

talk at you all soon
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 02-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Good evening all!!

Frugal for me today, was just taking lunch.

Frugal this evening is eating out of the freezer. I had bought some seafood a couple of months ago at BJs and am just this evening getting around to having some. So I am not stopping anywhere on the way home.

I took tomorrow off from work, and we have Monday off, so I have a 4-day weekend.

I want to check out a shop up in the next little boro called "Blended Eras". I see a lot of glass containers, and maybe some lamps in their windows as I pass all the time. Just never stopped in. I have been wanting to stop in, but I am usually in a hurry when I pass it, and it has never been a planned trip. But it will be tomorrow. And there is another small shop a little further up that I want to check out too. Not that I am planning to spend a penny, just the gas to go look.

I got a new vase also and didn't pay a thing. We get fresh flowers every week at work. The other secretary and myself, don't always try to keep hitting the boss up for more money. There are other things, like good chairs for our backs (they didn't help though as we lean forward, not back into the chairs), and fresh flowers weekly. Those we get lots of compliments on and the clients (present and to-be) see that he is not a cheapskate.

Anyway, we usually give the vases back to the florist. One week, not too long ago, I got to keep a red plastic tall vase. That one will go into the garden as a planter. Maybe a couple of mini rosebushes, who knows. Then my co-worker asked if I wanted this new one we got - it is a white heart that lays on one side and is open on the other side. It has some sort of texture on the front side and is "rubbed" with something to make it look a little older, and used. It is just lovely. I was surprised, because it looks like something she would like. But I jumped at the chance.

That is about it for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Nine Year Member

I've been really good this week about planning meals out so as to not pick up fast food during the hectic week. My Mil has been with us each evening this week for dinner and until 9-10 when my FIL picks her up.

I put a roast in the oven yesterday before making the school run then going to church for Kids for Christ at 3:30 we didn't get home till 5:40.

I made crock pot lasagne today since it was swim class night and we don't get home until 6:15. FIL dropped MIL off at the YM to wait for us to get out of class. I cooked it on low for 5-6 hours and half of the crock burnt 2 inches from the bottom. This is the 2nd time I've used the crock made ham & beans the first time so I'm not sure if there is a hot spot or not.

Roberta
Old 02-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

OSI: Thanks for the reassurance that I'm doing the right thing staying out of Goodwill. But I'm dying.... just dying.....

Frugal today: Our local homestore has a promotion for l7% off whatever you can fit in a grocery-sized paper bag they put in the local paper. So--I went in today and got my potting soil, seeds and some peat pots for starting my annuals and a few new perennials for $10! Such a bargain--so much cheaper than buying from the greenhouses--even though their stuff is truly beautiful.

I'm hoping to start seeds tomorrow or this weekend. And I'm going to try to revive some geraniums, mexican heather and a fuschia that I saved from last season. I LOVE gardening and it's such a fresh breath of spring to come when the plants start sprouting. The kids love watching things grow too, and are developing their own interest in growing things.

Other than that--it's eating from the freezer and out of the pantry and cupboard--we've really thinned out our canned goods lately!

Well--it's getting late (for me). Off to bed. Have to check that oldest isn't reading past his cutoff time--even though I love seeing him read so much!

Have a great Friday tomorrow!

rivermom
Old 02-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Friday, everbody! I managed to take lunch from home every day this week--big accomplishment for me! I've told myself I will allow myself one lunch out each week, but decided not to do it this week. And I spent only $5 on groceries this week by using up things in the pantry and freezer. It's amazing what you can find when you look and start figuring out what can go together! I may try to stretch it out for another week. I still have frozen burger left, so that should work for a few different meals. Anyway, have a great weekend!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Morning!

My dh and I have a funeral to go to today. I feel so bad about this one. A friend of our from church was blown up in the lab at Thiokol the other day. They make the jet propolsion systems for the space shuttles. She has two children left at home. I can't even imagine sending your husband off to work and then getting a call that he was killed in an explosion. I made bread the other day and took her over a loaf and I made a huge salad and a cake that I'll take to the church for the family meal.

I sold my miniature Schnauzer puppy yesterday. I made $200! I put it in my savings account for my booby fund. When she has her next litter I'm going to ask $250. I listed her on a local add page on the internet. It was free too!

Well, I need to take the kids to school and go to the gym.

Carol

Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

jjoj - do you have a link to frugal friends?

Carol

Old 02-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It's Ericka's birthday today!!!!
Happy birthday, joesbaby! Hope you have a great day, and a year filled with happiness & health.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 AM

jjoj and Songberries

What is Frugal Friends?

Rivermom

I totally understand about not being able to go to Goodwill, I have to have my thrift store fix every week... I love those places.

Crochet2

I am sorry I meant to answer your questions the other day and got distracted.

The books I got are really old, can't tell how many years but I would guess late 60's or early 70's... as they range in price from 35 cents to 50 cents each. The clothing styles are early 60's it looks like. The crochet thread they are using is Aunt Lydias and Coat's and Clarks which I dont' think is around anymore at least in yarn, they make thread now days don't they? Aunt Lydia's still is although I've never used it I don't think? I also saw some that was Red Heart brand, such cute items although I dont' normally follow patterns I may try. I used to be so good at that in my early 20's but now I get cross eyed trying to follow the pattern instructions.

Frugal last night? Had a birthday girl here at work today that dh didn't tell me about till last night. Grabbed a candle out of stock supply cabinet in fortunately a scent I know she likes Hot Chocolate and Sugar Cookie, printed a label with a Garfield picture on it and put "Happy Birthday Trish", grabbed a plain gift bag and TA-DA, instant birthday gift

Made dinner at home, worked on my Craft expense and sales reports ledger and wrote out our grocery list. Lots to do tommorow, have to go to the bank in the morning, take mil grocery shopping, dh has to go in the opposite direction and get our tags and title transfer... we have to pay sales tax on the car should be around $106.00 plus the tags will be another $25-$30? I forget how much they are. I got my drivers license renewed in Dec. it cost $24.00 talk about sticker shock!! Last time I bought them they were around $10.00. I'm going to both candle supply stores tommorow, one to buy my waxes from the other more jars and fragrances.

Well off to break, take care and talk again soon.

Anna

Closed Thread