Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal-Garage Sale Shopping!!!

I love garage sales and dd and I saw one on my way to take her to school yesterday and I couldn't stop for it, but I went after work and got some shirts for her, a bookbag she really needed and some blankets. The blankets were all too small but I could use them for other things. But, I hit three after work today and the best sale was the last one. I got clothes for dd for 50 cents and two very nice blankets that we saw at Target for $35 and up but we got it for $1 each, and I got a jacket that I can fit and a sheet set etc all for $4. I got some other shirts for dd at another sale and dd got an easy bake oven-(I do not like those things) but she can play with it without plugging it up!!!

Last edited by leasmom; 04-16-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

Frugal for me today was not buying items I didn't need at yard sales. Also the pastors wife and I went thru every cabinet in the church for craft items. Put everything out on tables and chairs and started sorting. We, the church has to have new ac and a furnace this spring so we need to save of VBS. We are trying to use what we have for crafts instead of buying the kits. I think we can save a few hundred dollars. I am very tired now.....
Old 04-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Nine Year Member

I tilled the garden area today and mowed the grass. My sister gave me 6 tomatoe plants so I wont have to buy any this year. I'll start planting as soon as I get the bushes trimmed down.

Frugal this week was skipping the grocery store, LOL. I will need to go next week as we are now out the basics of eggs, potatoes, etc. now. I've been eating out of the freezer & cupboard this week.

Roberta
Old 04-16-2005, 04:39 PM

Good evening all!!

Not much frugal here today at all. Lunch was the special, and it was teriffic. They advertise on the bulletin board specials for $5.95. Today's was a rib eye steak and baked potato. I figured it would be about the size of a deck of cards - but it was a full size 1/2" rib eye steak. And the flavor was excellent.

Then I went to BJ's and while it is frugal for me to shop there, the price of every thing was almost $100.00. That was mroe than I had planned to spend.

I froze lots of cheese, with waxed paper between the slices.

Early this morning, I made muffins, and happened to tell my nephew they were there. Well, I have one left, that's it. Oh well, I can always make more.

Barbzy - my nephew can make the pork roll sandwiches too, only he is a little leary of lighting the gas stove. Mine is so old that it still has to be lit with a match every time.

Well ladies, I better go for now, I managed to get some sort of crink in my neck being outside today. I will put a hot pad on it.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 04-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I went to the grocery store today, and everything is so expensive. So I just stuck to my list and hopefully next week the prices will be better.

Have a good day everyone.

Melly
Old 04-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Melly, I noticed that a lot of grocery items were higher than normal yesterday too. I thought it was just me.
Leasmom, yard sales are so much fun! You did really well!
Frugal this afternoon was making stuffed peppers, hashbrown casseroles and a few other meals for the freezer. I've been doing a little Spring cleaning as well-washing knick-knacks, cleaning the garage, etc. Tomorrow we are weeding our flower beds, splitting some plants and doing some mulching. Well, have a nice evening, everyone!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

crochet2

Could you tell what kind of cheese you can freeze? a long time ago I froze some kind of cheese and it got crumbly when I thawed it out? Can't remember what kind? I freeze pizza cheese and chedder that's grated, can I freese american or others? Thanks in advance for your help.

As far as the groceries going up I bet they all will at some point because of fuel prices? Those fuel prices are going to affect everything I think,
Old 04-16-2005, 08:22 PM

Good late evening ladies

Candy, you can freeze any kind of cheese as long as it's wrapped seperate I've done that for years.

Joesbaby

Glad to hear from you was beginning to think you forgot us.

leasmom

Wow! You really made out at the yard sales! especially the blankets.

Today has not been frugal. Dh decided the car work was too complicated and didn't have the proper tools so we let our mechanic do it. $50.00 plus a free candle for him. We sold our van as scrap got $50.00 so I guess it equalled out and now the mechanic's wife wants to order candles from me.

We went to the candle supply store for cases of jars, came out with 6 new bottles of fragrance, 4 cases of jars, wax coloring and a new mold... spent over $100.00 but came home and got a order for a case of candles so as I told dh, it takes money to make money. My business continues to boom even though this is the slow time of year for candles so all I can do is be thankful and thank God for his blessings.

Well it's after 11 pm and I need to go to bed another busy day tommorow, have to take mil shopping, hang clothes outside and other weekend errands. The weather is forecasting rain next weekend, and as soon as we set up it'll probably pour! Oh well the farmers will love me as I seem to have the magic touch on rain during yard sale season, LOL!

Take care everyone and have a good Sunday.

Anna
Old 04-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member

freezing cheese

I freeze shredded and sliced cheeses with no problem but when I freeze blocks of cheese they tend to crumble when slicing or shredding it after thawed.

Roberta
Old 04-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!
Roberta, that has been my experience with cheese as well. I've had good success freezing American cheese.
Anna, way to go on your candle sales! I am so happy for you! That was smart to give one to the mechanic. Especially since he is married. Although, I always used to think that candles were just a girl thing, but guys really like them, too. My sons love candles almost as much as me. Especially if they smell like food. lol
Just thought I'd get on and see what everyone is doing today. We are going to church and then come home and tackle the yard work. Other than that, just mostly staying home and enjoying the beautiful weather. Take care! To quote CAGmom of2, No money will be spent here today. A very good motto!

Closed Thread